Model Cars Magazine Forum

frustrated

huhdog57

I just started to build a monogram 1/48 scale p61 1st model I have tried to build since I was 25 and I am 59 now having a lot of trouble my inexperience and nothing wants to fit right getting discouraged and not even half way through ready to quit and look for another hobby any one else had this experience.

Everybody gets frustrated to some extent. If you're looking for perfection, you're probably not going to find it in your first model.

Keep in mind also that models contain imperfections from the factory that you may have to deal with. This could mean sanding parts down or having to fill gaps in order to make parts fit correctly.

If you're having a specific problem you can post your question in the forum and someone will try to help.

I know nothing about airplanes or how expensive the kit you're building is, but I can think of a couple ways to deal with it. You can slap this kit together butcher style, not worrying about how good/bad it looks, and then buy the same kit and learn from your mistakes building that one better. A second choice is to struggle through, take your time, ask questions, do research, make this one as best you can.

Either way you go I can pretty much guarantee you'll feel satisfied when it's done and look forward to the next build!

You picked a bad kit for a first-timer. This kit used to be okay when it first appeared in the '70s, but recent issues have suffered either mold damage or quality control problems, or both. I've seen VERY experienced aircraft modelers complain about it. Apparently, the glass is a major problem--none of it wants to fit. I've noticed the same thing in recent issues of their P-38.

Edited by Snake45

I'm on the truck side of the models so I don't know diddly about planes but what I can say is I would be very surprised to hear that anyone here hasn't had problems with some of their projects. Don't give up, if you ask the question, someone here most likely can help, it's a very helpful group. 

These folks have gotten me through a couple of my trucks with everything from making it "fit right" to paint and glue on glass.

Dont give up on it there's plenty of help here.

Rich

You have just one post here. Stick around for quite a while and you'll see the rest of us tell our war stories on particular models. Even for some of the most experienced, there are some kits which look ok at first, and the deeper you get into them, the more frustrating they are, although those with experience declare all-out war with major efforts to correct what's wrong with the kits.

You picked a bad kit for a first-timer. This kit used to be okay when it first appeared in the '70s, but recent issues have suffered either mold damage or quality control problems, or both. I've seen VERY experienced aircraft modelers complain about it. Apparently, the glass is a major problem--none of it wants to fit. I've noticed the same thing in recent issues of their P-38.

Yep. Cool airplane but building the model is like building two models, takes twice the effort or more, than building a single fuselage aircraft. Part of their appeal is they're plentiful and affordable. I can hardly remember a time when they weren't on the hobby store shelves.

Thanks for the replies  starting to think maybe I pick the wrong hobby.

You didn't pick the wrong hobby, you just picked a bad kit to start with. Try a Revell (ex-Monogram) P-47 for a nice, troublefree build. Or ask here about anything else you might be interested in.

That Monogram P-61 has defeated much, MUCH better modelers than you or I, my friend. Don't take it personally! B)

I started to build this kit back in the summer. It is not an easy kit to build for anyone. Lots of test fitting, filling, and sanding to get it to look right. With all of the sanding it is difficult to avoid sanding down the raised panel details. 

Don't get discouraged by this kit. There are so many very nice kits available that will fall into place. Put it aside and try something else which is known to be a good kit. You'll get there.

Model building is a great hobby. It is not nearly as expensive as a lot of the alternatives out there. If you are just getting back in, ask around and see what others would recommend as a straight forward out of the box build. I remember trying to build the P-61 Black Widow as a kid, I never finished it. I have a new one sitting in my stash, but am no where near ready to try and tackle it.