Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 - A year of diversity

Tyler62990

So here's the 2016 roster. I actually got more done this year than I thought and learned a lot along the way. Between scratch building, use of BMF, polishing paint, using an airbrush, etc., 2016 will be looked back on as a year of firsts, some good, some bad. Either way, it was all a learning experience with a wealth of knowledge gained from this awesome forum. As the title suggests, it was also a year of diversity. From rusty to shiny, salt flats to drag strips, daily drivers to Sunday cruisers, I tried to cover it all. 2017 is already getting started with my first rig, channeled rat, and drag rail, but it's gonna be a little while lol. 

Well enough talk, here's some pics!

1. 55 Chevy Gasser, with an AMT Parts Pack Blown 421 Pontiac

2. 39 Chevy Gasser

3. 38 Ford Rat Truck

4. Ford Raptor

5. Stock 32 Ford

6. Tim Flock's 55 Chrysler 300

That's quite an impressive collection, and the variety is spectacular. I don't think any builder could have a more successful year. Outstanding work in every case!

I have only one nit to pick... you need to tone down and darken the copper chains on the tailgate of the rat truck.

Thanks for the kind words and compliments everyone! I really appreciate it!

What a great idea with that Hudson, and beautifully done too. How did you mask and paint the roof?

First, I shot the Testors White Lightning on the body, masked the roof and sprayed some Testors Purple-licious. After that, I cut a small piece of lace to size, running from the cowl to the trunk and taped the ends down tight. Two strips of Testors thin line masking tape were run along the edges of the lace to clean up the outside lines a bit. A coat of Testors Diamond Dust was misted over the lace, and the lace and masking tape were peeled off. With the body still masked, some Duplicolor Metalcast Purple (candy paint in a can) was shot over the entire roof, deepening the Purple-licious and leaving a really poppin' purple over the Diamond Dust. The whole car was the shot with 3 coats of Wet Look Clear and polished out. Considering I never get the best results with spray cans, I got really, really lucky and everything went flawlessly.

That's quite an impressive collection, and the variety is spectacular. I don't think any builder could have a more successful year. Outstanding work in every case!

I have only one nit to pick... you need to tone down and darken the copper chains on the tailgate of the rat truck.

Thank you Harry. Any compliment from you is held in high regard and nit picks taken into consideration for future builds. I think it was the lighting I used that make them come off a bit shiny. They were bright silver jewelry chains from a craft store that were dipped in some flat rust paint. I'll have to try a new technique, or just learn how to take pictures lol