Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi BMW 5 Series Schnitzer S5

Funkychiken

I am coming to the end of 2 of my current 3 unfinished builds. So I need to start 2 more, one of which will be this BMW by Fujimi.

It's an old kit, but was re-issued recently, and can be bought for not much, I think tis was about a tenner a few years ago.

It's really simple, curb side, and not much detail. The energy here is in the body & interior.

I will be doing a completely OOB build, the only additions if I feel up to it, will be flocking and seatbelts.

I wanted to do this in the medium metallic green exterior colour, however, I haven't found a good match, so the exterior will be black & interior with be blue.

Here are some sprue shots...

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

That is a great looking kit. Like so many others I covet a BMW but unless I win the Lottery it's just not going to happen. Have you considered getting some touch up paint at the dealer so you could get the color your looking for ? Most BMW 5's seem to be either black or gray or silver. It would be nice to see something with a little personality.  

• 1 month later...

That is a great looking kit. Like so many others I covet a BMW but unless I win the Lottery it's just not going to happen. Have you considered getting some touch up paint at the dealer so you could get the color your looking for ? Most BMW 5's seem to be either black or gray or silver. It would be nice to see something with a little personality.  

And thanks to  Mr Espo, It got me thinking, and I decided to go for Boston Green.

Got this little bottle off eBay for about a fiver.

The pic is the colour I'm aiming for

20170226_200043.jpg

20170226_200051.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

And thanks to  Mr Espo, It got me thinking, and Isearch to to go for Boston Green.

Got this little bottle off eBay for about a fiver.

The pic is the colour I'm aiming for

20170226_200043.jpg

20170226_200051.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

Interesting subject...what did you write on the Ebay search to get this color?

Edited by simonr

Hi simonr, I searched for Boston green, after looking through for sale car adds to get the colour description. I was, and maybe still am, worried about shooting it through the AB...

I tried looking for Boston Green but, didn't get the same bottle you got.

• 2 weeks later...

Only progress on this job is that most of the parts are off the sprues, washed & ready for primer, the seats need some backing plates, and filling where there are major sink marks...

The body is also prepped ready for primer, I'll do some spoon tests today if I get a chance....

20170311_201619.jpg

20170311_201053.jpg

• 1 month later...

After having stance issues with the Porsche you can see in the background, I thought I'd check the height of this once, and it looks just right!

The seats have something strange moulded into them, which means some careful sanding, and some interior parts are finished with Humbrol blue, coated in Alclad satin.

The window has two large streak marks across the front windscreen and rear glass, it looks terrible, but doesn't photograph, the worst think is the attachment to the sprue, it's not in a clever place, it will have to be sanded and polished...

20170422_182232.jpg

20170428_175908.jpg

20170430_112848.jpg

20170501_110838.jpg

So I have conducted a spoon test on the paint, and it didn't turn out so good. lots of dark spots & not a deep enough coverage. Also, it looks like it needs a metallic base. So I'll do another spoon test after filtering the paint & putting some metallic base down.

Seats are ready to be sprayed!

Finally, I always mess up with the spoiler, I can't get a good finish with the paint unless I paint before assembly, but then I mess up the car by getting glue everywhere. So this time, I made some attachment holes, there really wasn't much space on the supports of the spoiler, and I drilled straight through it, but a bit of putty & that should be fixed...

20170506_162058.jpg

20170506_162108.jpg

20170506_162122.jpg

Front seats have been filled, sanded filled and sanded about 5 times now, so it's holding up completion of the interior.

Also the filling on the body bumpers is slowing me down again, I feel like it's 1 step forward 2 steps back with filling & sanding...

Anyway, lots of masking, and spraying for the 2 tone interior.

And cut off the tailpipes for some alu tube...

20170513_161242.jpg

20170513_230059.jpg

20170514_114123.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Overdid the wash on the seats, Alclad Satin does not work as a good base to wash over, the acrylic paint doesn't come off it...

Dashboard Finished & just need to re-spray the seats.

Chassis is ready, did it n basic black and it's mostly assembles now.

The Exhaust positioning was way off, I just cut a spacer and attached it. Lucky I caught it before gluing! test fit everything if it's not a Tamiya kit!

20170526_163350.jpg

20170526_163255.jpg