Model Cars Magazine Forum

49' Merc

hedotwo

I'll begin by saying this was the first Revell 49' Merc I've built and I was extremely happy with the build of the kit.  Everything fit great and the kit almost just fell together on its' own.  The paint began with Tamiya gray primer followed by Createx Pearl Magenta, finished with a few coats of Krylon Crystal Clear.  The Createx paints shoot beautifully with my Paasche VL at 40psi thinned a bit on the heavy side with their own reducer.  I experimented with spoons with Tamiya primers, both gray and white, and also a spoon with Rustoleum Flat Black.  The white primer made the paint almost pink, while the black gave it a really purple look (like one of the overhead attached photos... that pic turned out like that because of the lighting I think).  The interior (what you can see of it) is both the pearl magenta and Createx Pearl White.  The decals were lifted from a '59 Impala kit.  Now that they're dry I'm not as crazy about them, but they aren't going anywhere now ;)

IMG_5910.JPG

IMG_5911.JPG

IMG_5912.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5919.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5927.JPG

Thanks for your approvals (especially Harry's thumbs up... he's never afraid to point out stuff that was missed)!  There are a number of "warts" on this build but overall I felt I did a good job also.  During this build I did alot of Google Image research on custom mercs and decided to get the Carson-top resin merc from Jimmy Flintstone and give it a shot.  I love the coving and roof on it....

That looks like it came out real nice. Great paint, sharp decals and foil, nicely detailed engine... and YES! The stripes are correctly cut where they cross the panel lines and don't run right over them! What's not to like?

Exactly!