Model Cars Magazine Forum

#11 Darrell Waltrip '84 Monte Carlo WIP

Greg Pugh

Well, the ol' stomach flu got ahold of me and really slowed down my progress. But, I'm feeling better now and I'm back at the desk. I've been doing alot of detail painting and there's nothing there that's quite photo-worthy yet so this is kind of a weak update but I chucked up my tires in the drill and worked 'em over to give them a more realistic look.

IMG 0696

IMG 0697

IMG 0700

I still have to spray the sidewalls with dullcote and do the white letters.

Mr Pugh, this is looking really good so far. I like the way you chucked your tires to rid them of the mold line. Looking forward to more updates. I know some of the cars back then had black interiors which I never understood because it seems like the sun would make them even hotter.

Thank you! I was lucky to find someone's online photo album where they took almost 100 photos of the real car so I have excellent reference photos for my build. And you're right, the entire inside of the car is flat black. I assume it was to cut down on glare. Anyways, my model will be built the same way. Thank you for watching!

And speaking of reference photos, the real car had this ignition module located on the dash panel. My kit of course did not have this piece so time to make one.

2006July24th047-vi

I started with a single valve cover I had in my parts box. It was pretty close to the width I was wanting but more importantly, it had the raised fins you see on the real piece.

IMG 0722

After a bit of grinding and sanding, I got the width I was looking for.

IMG 0724

Edited by Greg Pugh

After I had the desired overall shape I wanted, it took a quick swim in the whitewall cleaner to strip what was left of the chrome.

IMG 0741

Then, it was painted silver...

IMG 0742

...followed by blue and some very light sanding on the raised fins to expose the silver paint underneath and this is what we ended up with.

IMG 0771

Still a couple of small things to do to it but I think it will work out great.

Edited by Greg Pugh

• 1 month later...

Well, bad news is there was a couple of things on the painted body that I wasn't too happy with so, it's in the tank and we'll have to shoot it again. Good news is, I'm done with 95% of the detail painting. The little bit that I still have to do will be done while assembling.

IMG 1409

• 3 weeks later...

I's looking good, Greg! Pretty sure this will be better than the first one. ^_^

I sure hope so! Lol

Hi Greg......was great hanging out with you at GSL this year......you got 2 years to get this build ready for GSL 2019.......looking good so far

I had a blast with you guys! Looking forward to doing it again! Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Holy Moley! Has it really been since June!?? Well, I needed a break from my Ranchero build so I rotated this one up. 

First things first, I had to scratch build this guy. 

I cut and sanded some sprue to get the desired shape

I added a small piece of sheet styrene

Then it was cut off and painted. I found a similar decal in my stash and added that. I also painted and added the compression fittings and plumbed it with braided fuel line.

Edited by Greg Pugh

• 2 weeks later...

I got the body painted white (again) last week. I didn't want to subject you to a picture of that again as I had already posted a picture of my first white paint job (that didn't work out). Lol. The second round of white went much better. Then, this morning, I masked off and painted the roof red.