Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone (update 1/4/19) Finished!

RancheroSteve

On 6/29/2018 at 8:09 PM, RancheroSteve said:

Yours looks like the factory "Onyx" black? This one is more of a dark gray metallic with some pearl clear over it. I came into a quart of it years ago.

no, my car is PPG Charcoal gray metallic lacquer over a dark gray primer, It was repainted in the late 80s. Car was originally the factory blue. I still have maybe half a gallon or so of it here in one of my cabinets

• 5 months later...

Almost (finally) done, but meanwhile here's a little oddity - has anyone else noticed this? There are two parts on the "glass" tree that aren't shown on the instruction sheet:

IMG 5158

The only place they fit is in the rear panel:

156 Comet tail light panel

But the tail light piece covers all that:

IMG 5160

Stay tuned, should be finished any day now!

Edited by RancheroSteve

13 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Almost (finally) done, but meanwhile here's a little oddity - has anyone else noticed this? There are two parts on the "glass" tree that aren't shown on the instruction sheet:

IMG 5158

The only place they fit is in the rear panel:

156 Comet tail light panel

But the tail light piece covers all that:

IMG 5160

Stay tuned, should be finished any day now!

Hi I thought that they were the taillights so I did stain them red and then I took a small blade and open up the space in between the chrome bars on the tail panel the plastic is very thin there its almost like they wanted you do it that way but never put it in the instruction sheet it worked you can see the lens not much of it but it does show through.

2 hours ago, rickcaps55 said:

Hi I thought that they were the taillights so I did stain them red and then I took a small blade and open up the space in between the chrome bars on the tail panel the plastic is very thin there its almost like they wanted you do it that way but never put it in the instruction sheet it worked you can see the lens not much of it but it does show through.

Good thinking! That hadn't occurred to me. It's pretty hard to get much metallic red paint into those thin spaces.