Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT. Dodge LS 1000 SD Finished

I was able to get some painting on the trailer underside and on the inside. I used the iron powder on the bottom and steel powder on the inside wheel block outs.  The wood is a pattern that I found on eBay a couple years ago. I used Elmers glue to hold it down. 

Thanks Dennis 

I've been working on the out side trailer prints for the decals. I'm close to what was on the truck and I think it's going to be what I end up using. I still need to make the othe side and front and back. I used the steel powder for the ceiling and where the exposed areas are on the inside. The plywood sheets will be cut and trimmed when I'm ready to glue them in. Going to wait until I have the out side painted. I will be working on the doors next before I start painting the out side. The out side decals have been my biggest challenge so far on this build. Here's a mock up of what the inside is shaping up to look like. 

Hey Dan, my experience with wood lined trailers, is pretty much dry vans, but thier doors do have wood cores, but aluminum skins on BOTH sides. My thoughts are because of the increases in exposure to weather, when open, the wood core needs to be protected, as much as possible.  Dry vans frequently stand on docks, for extended periods of time, in all weather conditions, and exposed plywood would begin to degrade quickly. It also adds to the rigidity of the door, which flex a great deal more than refer doors, with all thier insulation. As far as moving vans, I can see arguments for both. Wood, being softer, absorbs impacts from large home furnishings, lessening the chance of surface damage to the cargo, and will not transfer aluminum residue from abrasions. But, all the same reasons for dry vans still apply, but a lesser degree concerning the weather rot. Beg bug trailers are only open when loaded and unloaded. My first choice, for what it is worth, would be to go with wood. It would be both functional for the trailer type, and look way cool on the model. Builder's choice best applies here. 

Finally finished sizing decals so they are the right size and every thing lines up too. Started printing on the decal film I'm trying a different brand of decal film so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it work out. Here's what the paper samples look like all lined up. 

IMG_4052.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Kerry

So far the first decals are coming along with out to much problems I've got 2 of them that I have to reprint because it looks like the decal film was to thin is a couple places. Here's the finished decals for the cab. I have to wait for the ink to dry on the rest of the decals before in can apply them. 

IMG_4053.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Kerry

So far the first decals are coming along with out to much problems I've got 2 of them that I have to reprint because it looks like the decal film was to thin is a couple places. Here's the finished decals for the cab. I have to wait for the ink to dry on the rest of the decals before in can apply them. 

IMG_4053.jpg

welcome!!!!!! Thanks for taking us on the journey of the build!!!!!!

After a couple try's I've got my decal file to print out the correct size that I'm looking for. Also painted the white and blue now is just to print the decal paper and apply them. 

IMG_4051.jpg

Dan, ANY chance you could print out on regular paper that "Chrysler Motors Corporation" for a sing for me? LOL I don't need the whole thing, just that white area on the left hand-side! -Let me know!!!!

NICE work tho man, that thing is coming out great! You printing the decals yourself, or having someone do them for you? -I MIGHT have some to get you to print for me because theres no where local to me to print decals.... AND I want someone who understands what is needed for water-slide decals....

Now I have to ask, you do the work on sizing and such on your computer/kindle, but, what program do you use?

• Like 1