Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT Mack F700

I have been meaning to build this truck for a long time. I think the time has finally come. My end goal is to build a replica of this truck:

7%202%20color%20corrected_zpsllllixnm.jp

I always found it interesting that it was a Western model cab with east coast specs.

Edited by KJ790

Thanks guys. I am going to modify a DM600 kit chassis, and will use an AITM cab. The cab will need a few modifications to make it a west coast model. I have resin drive wheels already made, and am working on some front spokes to match these Mack ones. I was picking my father's brain on this truck this past weekend, since it was years before I was born. He says it had a Mack 673 engine with a 5-speed Mack transmission. I thought this was interesting since everything else in the fleet had twin-stick 16-speed transmissions at that time. He said it was a big difference to jump from one of the twin sticks into a 5 speed, but it didn't run nearly as fast as the others did.

Thanks guys. I am going to modify a DM600 kit chassis, and will use an AITM cab. The cab will need a few modifications to make it a west coast model. I have resin drive wheels already made, and am working on some front spokes to match these Mack ones. I was picking my father's brain on this truck this past weekend, since it was years before I was born. He says it had a Mack 673 engine with a 5-speed Mack transmission. I thought this was interesting since everything else in the fleet had twin-stick 16-speed transmissions at that time. He said it was a big difference to jump from one of the twin sticks into a 5 speed, but it didn't run nearly as fast as the others did.

What is the difference KJ?

The front spider wheels look similar to the ones in the dm600 kit to me. American Mack are pretty amazing to me as they had so many chassis variations. After the b series, Australia really only had the r series chassis rails until the Mack trident and later model ch series. I'm guessing the west coast trucks had more aluminium components from the pictures I've seen?

Great choice KJ. How many Macks did the company have?

We only had 9 Macks through the years. Mostly used Kenworths through the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. Then switched to mostly Freightliners and Internationals with a few KW's thrown in. We had a couple of almost every brand, but seemed to stick with KW, Freightliner, and International the most. When I was a little kid we had a couple GMC Generals and an Autocar AT64F that I always liked.

I'm not sure of everything that is in their fleet these days since my family sold the company a few year back. It seems like they are still mostly using Freightliners.

Edited by KJ790

• 1 month later...

this will be cool, i must say, i think it's cool that you are building the family fleet in scale one truck at a timeB)

Haha, I am trying to build my favorites at least. Not much to update for February, been busy casting parts the last few weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...