Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT 2017: 1987 Freightliner FLC

Nice work, Tom. The better knowledge you have about a certain part, the less youĀ are satisfied with the kit rendition. ThatĀ“s how it is. But itĀ“s nice if you are able and willing to do something about it. ItĀ“s not everoneĀ“s cup of tea, but I like this approach. Good luck with your further progress.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I usually run out of enthusiasm on my builds because I get to caught up in the details. I am hoping that having this build log will keep me motivated to finish something this year. So I really do appreciate it. Also if some one sees something i should fix or do differently please let me know, as sometimes I don't see stuff because I have looked at it to long. And I always like to learn and improve my skills.

Ā 

I usually run out of enthusiasm on my builds because I get to caught up in the details.

The better knowledge you have about a certain part, the less youĀ are satisfied with the kit rendition. ThatĀ“s how it is. But itĀ“s nice if you are able and willing to do something about it. ItĀ“s not everyoneĀ“s cup of tea, but I like this approach.

That, Gentlemen, are both sides of building models! 44 years, and still have not found a way to stay in the happy medium area. At least for very long. Rivet counting usually wins the day, at least for me.

Tom, when I was in High School, I worked for a small fleet that had 10 to 12 of the pedestal headlight FLCs. Even almost the exact color of your picture. Still have a soft spot in my heart, (head), for those trucks. They had some 359s, 352s, and FLAs, all still my favorite rides.

With that said, I REALLY like where you are taking this! Not everyone's cup, but, in the end, it is worth the extra effort. You feel it every time you see how much better your modification looks than what you started with. I want to share a picture, as a form of inspiration, so that even when it gets hard to keep going, it will be worth it in the end. I almost scrapped this 3408 mid way through the new timing cover and water pump, but once it was done, I had that feeling, i know you have had when you look a the suspension on your FLC. By all means, keep up the good work!

post-11762-0-54564100-1389213166_thumb.j

I am with you I have tried to build things out of the box, I have really tried. But I can't I just can't. I am not a die hard gotta fix it guy otherwise i would just scratch build everything. But I find that as my skills have developed since I was 7 or so my acceptable level of detail has changed considerably. I have been modelling for 46 years myself, never have I not done it in some form or another. But I have a rule that I don't start new projects until I finish one that I have started. Otherwise I would have to many unfinished kits and it gets hard to remember where I am at with what. That feeling of satisfaction when something turn out right is awesome.

I really like the 3408 I have saved that for inspiration when I get to mine. I really am looking forward to my 359 when i get to it, as it was my favorite ride I had there.

Thanks

Tom

A small update. I needed to make some brake valves and the leveling valve for the air suspension.

Ā 

FLC25.jpg

FLC26.jpg

Ā 

Turns out these are wrong for the way the kit air tanks are as best as i can tell so I had to build a different one. :huh: Oh well they will work for a future project.

Ā 

FLC27.jpg

FLC28.jpg

Ā 

Turn out this is the one I need. Who knew.

Ā 

FLC29.jpg

Ā 

On to the suspension leveling valve.

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

Like I said small update. That's all for now.

Ā 

Thanks for looking

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yes I have that picture. It is a different style valve than what we had. I am going for more this style, as it was much easier to pop the rod out to over inflate the airbags to help get landing gear up if they were tight or in a bind.

D2366L.jpg

Ā 

Then here is the picture of the first brake valve I made.

3029S.jpg

Ā 

Here is the one I ended up with.

CC9267R.jpg

All photos courtesy of Purple Wave. It is an amazing site for research. Or if you want to buy yourself a real truck. :lol:

Thanks

Very nice work! Killer detail! Just for future reference, Archer fine transfers sells weld decals, theyre actually resin details under decal film. They come in various sizes and i absolutely love them.Ā 

I also didnt realize meng offered bolts that are so small, or just the nuts....

I have attached both the brake valve and the air suspension leveling valve to the frame.

FLC29a.jpgFLC29c.jpg

IMG_4928.jpgIMG_4961.jpg

As a side note I forgot to trim off the molded on placement point for some other version of this frame. I couldn't figure out a good way to get it off at this point so I am using it as a brace for the end of the valve.

Ā 

IMG_4959.jpgIMG_4960.jpg

Using phosphor bronze wire for the actual leveling mechanism.

Ā 

IMG_4957.jpg

All of the rear brakes are mounted and everything is ready to be plumbed. The two notches in the rear cross member are where the tail lights connect. The jury is out on what I am going to do there. Still much to do on the frame so they can wait.

Ā 

Thanks for watching.

Edited by steel_tiger1

Great job on all the detailing and scratch buildingĀ !! The Meng nut and bolt details are a great product and I think very easy to use. I started using them on a scratch built stretch frame for a Peterbilt project and am very happy with them. I wanted to ask about the open nuts are they Meng also?? These would make it easy to glue lines in for air hose plumbing.