Model Cars Magazine Forum

Eckler Corvette " The Time Machine " small update 1/8/17

D. Battista

First time I have posted in quite a few years. Maybe posting this will help me.  I have only finished 3 in the last 15 years or so, 2 built for a friend and 1 club project in 2007. trying to get back at it with this Corvette. I have a few projects started but this kit kinda sparked my interest, thought I could do some cool paint work with it. Then doing a search I found a pic of the real car.  Kit decals are black and white, and a different design.  I'm going to attempt masking and painting graphics to match myself.... Thought it looked cool so here goes my attempt to do a some what of a close replica.

I've  got it mocked up with the wheels finally under it... alot of fitting and sanding just to get it this far. Door and panel lines scribed in. Body panels attached, but have'nt put any putty on them yet. There is a reason you don't see many of these built....lol    It's not a great kit to say the least... I found a better set of wheels from AMT's '62 Corvette. Tires are from Revell's '32 Ford 3 window kit. The tires in this kit are junk IMO.     Seats and air cleaner from Revell's '68 Corvette. Parts box valve covers.

A pic of the 1/1 car.....

!B,uOdYw!Wk~$(KGrHqUH-EEEqvCFsKm6BKsuVyc

Here is the box art

DSCN2080.thumb.JPG.3dcb723f4bc17adde85d4

DSCN2081.thumb.JPG.b7c49fb76dcbefabbe009

DSCN2074.thumb.JPG.1cf93a39f9b4661fc405dDSCN2075.thumb.JPG.e13e48463262313b5b586DSCN2078.thumb.JPG.bf1d5d090f833f3388512

Ok so thats it so far ... Thanks for looking....

Edited by D. Battista

Thanks everyone for your interest..!

Should be interesting to watch this one come together. Your work looks good so far.

I've bought a lot of 1:1 Eckler's f'glass parts over the years, mostly OEM style C1 and C2 stuff. 

Thanks Ace .... in doing this search I learned a little about Eckler parts..!

You seem to be off to a great start. Model on!

Thanks Snake...!

OH MY!

You guys are bad for me.... Farrah's Foxy Vette!

You might look at a late '70's Camaro kit for the fine spoked Western Wheels (I worked Speed Shop!). ET also had something similar but I think the same foundry made them.

Now....grab an adult beverage and hold on... built in 1979.... When I built my 1:1 Vega with a V-8, I used the finer spoked wheels and painted them in between the spokes body color (the Vega). That was a thing on the Camaro Berlinetta, that I thought looked great! Paint on the model, was Duplicolor, right out of the can! I believe it was a '73 Duster color.

I'd have to go thru a bizillion magazines, but I may have an issue of something that features the Eckler Vette.

IMG_3270.thumb.JPG.37d04d43e423df75692f0

Edited by George Bojaciuk

You might look at a late '70's Camaro kit for the fine spoked Western Wheels (I worked Speed Shop!). ET also had something similar but I think the same foundry made them.

Thanks for the info George.. I appreciate it....     I'm doing a some what close replica...  and the '62 Vette wheels are close enough for me..

I started this build because I thought I could do some cool paint on it.     and not worring to much about accuracy ... It has glass T-tops .... not going to to do those either :)

Good job on yours..!  That is the only one I have seen built....  Thanks for sharing

Just a small update. I fixed the rear hatch area ( interior tub ).... looks like they could'nt get it to fit and just deleted that part of the tool.:(

DSCN2079.thumb.JPG.69de1d532280a33a02d6d

I added some styrene to fill that in....   and a lot of sanding and fitting to get it to this.... I'm calling this good enough...DSCN2082.thumb.JPG.a3e4fe4c0d082b167b70bDSCN2083.thumb.JPG.510d4bb556e28547ccbc0DSCN2084.thumb.JPG.8611706c4f97eafb10eae

I have found that when tape won't work so good Silly Putty works good for mocking up parts ...and it can also be used for masking to paint hard to tape parts.....

DSCN2085.thumb.JPG.6562df5e1cee9428ef586

Edited by D. Battista