Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 IH RDTC 405

I'm probably not going to start this one until I'm done with the 7400. The plan as of now is Cummins Iron lung power (NHRS I'm thinking), Tag tandem with belt drive, and P.I.E. paint.

A special thanks to Wayne Crane over on Hank's Truck Forum for some excellent reference material.

Here is the inspiration truck though not a P.I.E. truck.

30747328656_4c34072673_h.jpgIMG_1659 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Here's an old retired P.I.E. veteran:

30576318223_dffbad3403_h.jpgIMG_1791 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

31347431366_0ca2fd400a_h.jpgIMG_1778 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Thanks guys!

I really like your choice of truck and with a belt drive no less! Is this the belt setup you plan on using?

Belt_drive.thumb.JPG.98ef594db1db5fb4c80

That's the one Dennis. The P.I.E. trucks that I've seen had the tag in front of the drive. I've seen pictures with the tag running singles (maybe because the belts were off?), but I think that I'm going to run duals on both axles. I may not fully detail the pulleys since they will be hid.

These are the pulleys off of my reference truck lying in the cab:

IMG_1783 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Here is the suspension that I'm going to attempt to replicate along with the fifth wheel that will slide for a mile:

IMG_1803 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Here is another style of suspension with the tag in back, with belts installed:

IMG_1363 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

IMG_1376 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Brian,

What are you going to use for the belt drive pulleys ? I may have something that would work .

Be Well

Gator

I'm not sure Gator. It will depend on whatever wheels that I settle on. I'm going for more of a restored tribute truck on the 7400. I haven't decided whether I am going to build this one as an original period truck or a restored tribute truck. If I build it as an original, most of the 5 hole split rears are made like the old Ertl style wheels, where I think I could just take channel and make a place for the belt to ride between the duals and the tires will be close enough that it will look okay. If I make it a restored truck, I may use tubeless wheels and then I will have to make complete pulleys.

With all of that being said, does anyone know where I could find 5 hole split rims that would be made as individuals on the rear like the real thing? (Like the tubeless wheels from Double Take or Moluminum)

Thanks for the offer Gator! I'll take you up on that if I use individual rear rims. What do you have?

This is going to be a great build Brian.

Do you have a resin cab for this or are you going to scratch build it?

Thanks Rob, I have a cab from Illini Replicas, I'm not skilled enough to scratch build a cab. If I was to try that it may turn out looking more like a VW Bug with a fifth wheel than a International. :lol:

Thanks also to everyone that has commented!!!

I'm not sure Gator. It will depend on whatever wheels that I settle on. I'm going for more of a restored tribute truck on the 7400. I haven't decided whether I am going to build this one as an original period truck or a restored tribute truck. If I build it as an original, most of the 5 hole split rears are made like the old Ertl style wheels, where I think I could just take channel and make a place for the belt to ride between the duals and the tires will be close enough that it will look okay. If I make it a restored truck, I may use tubeless wheels and then I will have to make complete pulleys.

With all of that being said, does anyone know where I could find 5 hole split rims that would be made as individuals on the rear like the real thing? (Like the tubeless wheels from Double Take or Moluminum)

Thanks for the offer Gator! I'll take you up on that if I use individual rear rims. What do you have?

What I have are the pulley looking front and rear spacer rims for the Tamiya race cars. They come with a rubber o ring and are used to keep the cars in the center of the slotted track. I use them for sheaves on crane models . I my description makes sense to you.

Be Well

Gator

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...