Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 IH RDTC 405

• 4 weeks later...

Very kool project Brian!!!!!!! Can't wait to see more as it comes together!!!!!!

Question on the belt drive, how reliable was that? Did the belts tend to slip if one axle had more stress on it than the other??

Thanks Kerry!!

I'm not sure about the reliability of this set up. Before the age of computers and instant information, my grandpa always talked about trucks running belts to drive the tandems. I never really could picture what he was talking about. I even thought that he was confused about how it worked. Years later I got the opportunity to see the real thing at a truck show. I can only assume that the ability of this set up was very limited. I've never seen it done in scale, so here goes.

Thanks Kerry!!

I'm not sure about the reliability of this set up. Before the age of computers and instant information, my grandpa always talked about trucks running belts to drive the tandems. I never really could picture what he was talking about. I even thought that he was confused about how it worked. Years later I got the opportunity to see the real thing at a truck show. I can only assume that the ability of this set up was very limited. I've never seen it done in scale, so here goes.

kool, cant wait to see it come together Brian!!!!! You'll do it justice I know!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Slowly making progress.

I separated the grill from the nose piece. There is a gap on the 1:1.

35679711402_3c7c3d8ba0_k.jpgIMG_3464 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

A little more work on the engine and cap support frame.

35008767764_f4e89221af_k.jpgIMG_3469 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

35808193956_aeef3aede0_k.jpgIMG_3470 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

35039238813_e4bc26b939_k.jpgIMG_3471 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Brian,

Outstanding work thus far ! I know this will be another very interesting build thread.

Did you find anything to use for the pulleys for the drive belts? A suggestion on the belts. If you can find some of the old fabric electricians tape double it up and cut thins strips for the belts.Either that or use heavy masking tape ?

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Guys!!!

Brian,

Outstanding work thus far ! I know this will be another very interesting build thread.

Did you find anything to use for the pulleys for the drive belts? A suggestion on the belts. If you can find some of the old fabric electricians tape double it up and cut thins strips for the belts.Either that or use heavy masking tape ?

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator! I've had a three size pulley set saved on my Ebay for some time now. It finally listed as almost gone, so I ordered them. They arrived today, all are too small. Evidently, the measurement on the package includes the o-ring. The largest was a couple mm. short of what I was expecting. On top of that, the wheels that I'm using were bigger than I thought. Long story short, I'll either add to these or make some new ones. I should have looked closer. :huh:

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure what I'll do yet on the belts. I'm sure that it'll be trial and error. I used strip styrene for the belts on the engine.

Thanks again Everyone!!