Model Cars Magazine Forum

Harry's current condition

Harry P.

In & out of rehab so fast makes it sound as if Harry is doing pretty well.

A nice thought but sadly not the case. Insurance refused to cover his rehab so he was released. 

Make no mistake, this is still a huge struggle for Harry. Many pills to take daily, doctors to see including a chemo treatment this coming week and a meeting with a cardiologist. Plus an exercise regimen he needs to do daily to build up his very weak heart. He is trying to eat again to build strength.

All we can do for our friend is good wishes and good prayers. We can only hope that his caretakers find the keys to turn around his life for the better.

A nice thought but sadly not the case. Insurance refused to cover his rehab so he was released. 

Make no mistake, this is still a huge struggle for Harry. Many pills to take daily, doctors to see including a chemo treatment this coming week and a meeting with a cardiologist. Plus an exercise regimen he needs to do daily to build up his very weak heart. He is trying to eat again to build strength.

All we can do for our friend is good wishes and good prayers. We can only hope that his caretakers find the keys to turn around his life for the better.

very sad about the insurance rejecting care ... sounds almost criminal ... 

i hope Harry is taking things in stride as much as he can and finds some energy to fight on 

Doesn't Harry's doctors have something to say about whether he needs rehab or not? They should. An insurance doctor didn't want me going to a "work hardening " program to get me ready to go back to work , but my doctor had some pull and I was enrolled in the program for a month. The insurance company had to pay for this program as well as workman's comp for that month also, and any meds that I needed as well.

Doesn't Harry's doctors have something to say about whether he needs rehab or not? They should. An insurance doctor didn't want me going to a "work hardening " program to get me ready to go back to work , but my doctor had some pull and I was enrolled in the program for a month. The insurance company had to pay for this program as well as workman's comp for that month also, and any meds that I needed as well.

This may be the largest impediment to Harry's ability to fight this thing. I wish we, with experience in these matters were in proximity to him and could fight these battles for him. The burden of trying it alone is as fatiguing for him as the cancer and weakened heart.

I forgot to mention earlier, Harry's connected to web again. But he's far too tired daily to get on the forum or even answer the many emails that have accumulated over these weeks. He's just too overwhelmed to respond. Best not to email at this time.

But he may click on and be able to see our wishes and helpful thoughts from time to time. He is very grateful for all your generosity and well wishes. And he misses his many friends here.

very sad about the insurance rejecting care ... sounds almost criminal ... 

I'd toss out the word "almost" there, Mike. But, insurance companies are for-profit organizations, they only make a profit for NOT paying out on the policies we all pay for! Hopefully Harry has some people in the right places that can get that decision over-turned, and get the care that he so desperately needs.

Unfortunately if you look at your 401K deep enough you will find insurance co. stock.  If  they do the morally responsible thing and offer care to all, at levels that they may not have paid for their stockholders will shut them down.

Welcome to the real world.

• 2 weeks later...

Harry is still at home and trying to get in-home therapy insurance coverage. . He has started a new chemo program and is adjusting to its effects. He continues to have eating issues which contribute to his weakened state.

His struggle continues.

Harry I didnt know about everything your dealing with until I saw this thread today. Im so sorry to hear of all the things your dealing with. I want you to know that I can totally relate with you. My wife got diagnose 3 years ago with Splenic marginal zone lymphoma. Hers is not curable and is in her bone marrow. She had to go through 8 weeks of chemo treatments to start with and then went through 6 months of maintenance treatments after that. Then this past august her spleen re-enlarged and she had to go through it all over again. She is currently back on maintenance treatments and for now the doctor wants her on them every 3 months until further notice. When she started back on the Chemo this past August she had a major reaction to the Chemo and they had to bring in the crash cart because it was so bad. They used almost everything there was on the crash cart except the epee-pen and that would have been next had they not finally got her stable.  She is doing fine now but we worry everyday with not knowing when her condition will take a turn for the worse. I told her about you as Im sitting here and both her and I send you our best wishes. If it weren't for me being with her, she too would be alone. All her family live a long way away and there is no one local that could be here to help her if it were needed. We also know how hard it is to get the insurance to help. When we were going through the diagnosis process the insurance we have wouldn't cover most of it so we had to pay most of it out of pocket. The hospital that did most of the testing, so far has been great. Even though we owe them alot of money they are allowing us to make small payments. The Lymphoma Society is covering a good part of her Chemo treatments because her insurance will only pay part of it. She is planning on applying for SSD this spring and we have talked to a lawyer who is willing to help us and will only get paid when and if we win. Though he seems to think that wont be a problem. The up side to all this for us, is that she is strong and handles her treatments fairly well. The Chemo does weaken her immune system  so she gets sick with colds and things more easily and we have to be careful about that. But thankfully her heart is strong.  We wish you all the very best Harry. I wish we were closer to you cuz if we were I would gladly come by and help in any way I could. I live in Northern Michigan but that's still just too far to be much help to you. You should not have to go through this alone not even for a day, thats the thing that bothers most of us here on the site the most I think. We know that you spend most of your days alone dealing with this and you should never have to do that.  Keep your spirits up as best you can Harry and remember as long as you have breath the fight goes on. Its a hard fight but every morning you wake up is another day the good lord has given you. Our Prayers are full for you Harry.

Jim and Sue

Harry I didnt know about everything your dealing with until I saw this thread today. Im so sorry to hear of all the things your dealing with. I want you to know that I can totally relate with you. My wife got diagnose 3 years ago with Splenic marginal zone lymphoma. Hers is not curable and is in her bone marrow. She had to go through 8 weeks of chemo treatments to start with and then went through 6 months of maintenance treatments after that. Then this past august her spleen re-enlarged and she had to go through it all over again. She is currently back on maintenance treatments and for now the doctor wants her on them every 3 months until further notice. When she started back on the Chemo this past August she had a major reaction to the Chemo and they had to bring in the crash cart because it was so bad. They used almost everything there was on the crash cart except the epee-pen and that would have been next had they not finally got her stable.  She is doing fine now but we worry everyday with not knowing when her condition will take a turn for the worse.

Jim and Sue

This entire message is exactly what I wrote about as what Harry needs most. A wonderful inspirational story and thank you for sharing Jim. More are needed if any others have similar fortune.

Best wishes to you and Mrs because the caregiver is also a major sufferer in these cases. Here's hoping your lady has overcome this treacherous disease.

I related this one to Harry shortly after his diagnosis, but maybe it would do him good to be reminded of it...and it is true.

A high-powered Madison Ave. advertising art director went in for a checkup after being unusually tired for a long time, and having some pain and digestive issues. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and given only months to live. He'd always wanted to paint, so he quit his high-stress job, set himself up in a little cabin, and just painted what he wanted when he felt like it.

Several months went by and he wasn't dead, and actually had been feeling better and better.

He went back to the doc, and there was no trace of the cancer.

Mind over matter? Recent REAL medical research has proven beyond doubt that there IS a link between physical health and attitude. Really.

Stay strong Harry, and FIGHT.

It pains me to post this but Harry is not doing well. Depression and confusion have taken him over. He's tired of this fight.

He is very emotionally affected by his condition. He has not responded to email for weeks and very seldom goes on the web. I doubt he has seen any or many of our good wishes. So those who may have PM'd or emailed him with no reply, that is why.

He is surely not doing everything he can to get some strength and morale up. I have no further report on his medical condition or treatments. His son will get back to him on Friday.

We can only hope that some spark turns him around and improves his will.

Sure would like to hear he is doing better. I sent him an PM a couple weeks ago and I did get a reply from him. That was great to hear from him. Harry should know we all are still pulling for him and we all care very much.

You got him before he had this down turn Ray.

It pains me to post this but Harry is not doing well. Depression and confusion have taken him over. He's tired of this fight.

He is very emotionally affected by his condition. He has not responded to email for weeks and very seldom goes on the web. I doubt he has seen any or many of our good wishes. So those who may have PM'd or emailed him with no reply, that is why.

He is surely not doing everything he can to get some strength and morale up. I have no further report on his medical condition or treatments. His son will get back to him on Friday.

We can only hope that some spark turns him around and improves his will.

Very hard to read this update Cato.  I can understand how defeating this is to him as I have a brother battling cancer for the second time in 4 years and it can get very depressing. I think the problem Harry has is that there are many of us wishing we could do more for him and be there in person to help raise his spirits and motivate him but we can't. It has to be hard on his kids, especially his son, to see him in this state and know that they are doing as much as they can. 

Is it possible to have an address where we can send letters and cards to Harry? Maybe some mail would perk him up and get him in the right frame of mind? I truly hope he can get better and be a part of the family here that misses him terribly.

Try sending money to his gofundme cancer-treatment account.  https://www.gofundme.com/2pndgj5w

Cards, letters and well-wishes are nice, but I'm sure some of his depression is the direct result of not being able to work and generate income, coupled with having to pay largely out of his own rapidly emptying pocket for his care.

His insurance has left him twisting in the wind, and he's alone most of the time.

A steady inflow of cash from people who care about him enough to give could surely make his life a little easier.

Put yourself in Harry's position. What would really do you more good...a card in the mail, or five bucks to put towards the mortgage, utilities and medical treatment, with a note of well-wishing attached?

As I write this there are about 270 people viewing this site. If every one of you sent just $5 or $10, that would be a huge show of REAL caring.

And there isn't ANYBODY here who can't afford that much.

This is to help save a man's life, people.

EDIT: I just sent $10. Who's next?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm in Bill!   Come on folks,  we just hit $16,000 of the $50,000 goal.  Harry has given this group and this hobby a lot. It's time people show their appreciation.

Bravo Tom. That's the spirit !

Let's get this really going again. Come on guys...we CAN make a difference in Harry's life.