Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early ‘20’s Oldsmobile Racer

Intmd8r

My take on the Jimmy Flintstone Olds body.  Built to be a tribute, not a replica of the cars from the era.

The wheels, drive line, interior, and chassis were all sourced from a glue bomb Beverly Hillbillies AMT kit. 

The back 2/3rds of the chassis have been narrowed, and the frame rails have been straightened and shortened to better suit the body.

Dash and fire wall was made from an old plastic gift card, and the seat was kit stock, sectioned significantly to fit.

Paint is rattle can Krylon, slightly weathered with Tamiya weather kit to give it a “driven” look.  I left some “orange peel” on the body since it is a race car, not a show queen.  Everything else was sourced from my parts box.

I did mess up the grill shell by applying the gold BMF before the paint underneath fully cured, but I can live with it.  It was always destined to be a shelf model.

Would have liked to add more detail, but the glue bomb that I started with was a mess and missing some pats.  Perhaps next time….

photo IMG_0861_zpsfcsm2jov.jpg photo IMG_0860_zpsbx9lxhji.jpg photo IMG_0862_zpsuseofror.jpg photo IMG_0864_zpssot6hcxp.jpg photo IMG_0868_zps8hq7egvn.jpg photo IMG_0869_zpshxbthu7j.jpg photo IMG_0870_zpsjsprmlwu.jpg

Sorry for all of the shadows – the kids insisted on being in front of, or directly behind me when I took the pics!

:rolleyes:

Whatever you think you did wrong on the radiator, it came out looking like aged brass. I like it a lot.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  The weathering hides the imperfections......the BMF really showed the wrinkles in the paint underneath.  I knew I should have waited longer, but I set out a goal to build this in a week, and to have it be my last completed build of 2016.  I succeeded with my goal (finished it at 9pm on 12/31/16!), but not without consequence.

Extremely satisfied with the results otherwise.

• 1 month later...

Now THIS is a Race Car. Superlative build of a seldom seen kit. I'd have never thought of this. Which Jimmy Flintstone body did you start with? It looks Model T ford to my eye.

Thanks for the feedback.  Other than paint, BMF, and the rad cap, the body is unmodified - just the way it was cast by JF.

Image result for jimmy flintstone olds racer

Edited by Intmd8r