[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Announcements

• Dave Ambrose

Board Status   07/20/2018

Maintenance completed, but there is still more come.
Intmd8r

Early ‘20’s Oldsmobile Racer

My take on the Jimmy Flintstone Olds body.  Built to be a tribute, not a replica of the cars from the era.

The wheels, drive line, interior, and chassis were all sourced from a glue bomb Beverly Hillbillies AMT kit. 

The back 2/3rds of the chassis have been narrowed, and the frame rails have been straightened and shortened to better suit the body.

Dash and fire wall was made from an old plastic gift card, and the seat was kit stock, sectioned significantly to fit.

Paint is rattle can Krylon, slightly weathered with Tamiya weather kit to give it a “driven” look.  I left some “orange peel” on the body since it is a race car, not a show queen.  Everything else was sourced from my parts box.

I did mess up the grill shell by applying the gold BMF before the paint underneath fully cured, but I can live with it.  It was always destined to be a shelf model.

Would have liked to add more detail, but the glue bomb that I started with was a mess and missing some pats.  Perhaps next time….

photo IMG_0861_zpsfcsm2jov.jpg photo IMG_0860_zpsbx9lxhji.jpg photo IMG_0862_zpsuseofror.jpg photo IMG_0864_zpssot6hcxp.jpg photo IMG_0868_zps8hq7egvn.jpg photo IMG_0869_zpshxbthu7j.jpg photo IMG_0870_zpsjsprmlwu.jpg

Sorry for all of the shadows – the kids insisted on being in front of, or directly behind me when I took the pics!

:rolleyes:

Interesting subject and a very nice build. Well done.

Wow, that's great! I love the subtle weathering you've done on it, very realistic. It's nice seeing this one done up like you have, the only other built ones I've seen are either ratty or blingy. 

Well done Steve, that Olds looks good

Outstanding model!  I really like your take on this.  I've got the BH kit and been wondering what to do with it, I have my answer.  

Exactly as it would have been, spare and trim.Beautiful save!

Love it.....very unusual and very well done.

That's great! The woodeñ wheels, hood straps, the weathering.....this is really nice!

Very cool idea, and excellent execution!

I really like what you did here.  I have been researching the race cars like the Stutz, Locomobile and others lately.  Good job..!!!

That turned out awesome, great build!!!!

That's great! The woodeñ wheels, hood straps, the weathering.....this is really nice!

I agree 100%! Very well done - lots of character.

Sam

Looks like it came straight from the Preservation class at Pebble Beach - well done!

Very nicely done. I'm impressed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm feeling inspired to build another, just need to source another donor kit...

Whatever you think you did wrong on the radiator, it came out looking like aged brass. I like it a lot.

Whatever you think you did wrong on the radiator, it came out looking like aged brass. I like it a lot.

Thanks for the positive feedback.  The weathering hides the imperfections......the BMF really showed the wrinkles in the paint underneath.  I knew I should have waited longer, but I set out a goal to build this in a week, and to have it be my last completed build of 2016.  I succeeded with my goal (finished it at 9pm on 12/31/16!), but not without consequence.

Extremely satisfied with the results otherwise.

Now THIS is a Race Car. Superlative build of a seldom seen kit. I'd have never thought of this. Which Jimmy Flintstone body did you start with? It looks Model T ford to my eye.

There is nothing about this model that I do not like.. except you built it and not me! Great model with no apologies needed. 

Now THIS is a Race Car. Superlative build of a seldom seen kit. I'd have never thought of this. Which Jimmy Flintstone body did you start with? It looks Model T ford to my eye.

Thanks for the feedback.  Other than paint, BMF, and the rad cap, the body is unmodified - just the way it was cast by JF.

Image result for jimmy flintstone olds racer

Edited by Intmd8r