Model Cars Magazine Forum

35 Yr. Old Monogram 69 Camaro SS-Now "Under Glass"-07/20

mustang1989

LOLOLOL!!! Thanks Jeremy. True.......this kit has been known to be horrible build as well as a horrible cartoon example of a Camaro.

Ya know, the more I look at this photo..........the more I do wanna put skinnies on the front. Hey.........it's still streetable............right???!!   sorry%20bout%20dat_zps1nny96hw

Reference%20Camaro%202_zpso3bd1g5j.jpg

....just checking in on your build for the first time in a couple of weeks, and Joe, it's looking boss.....this is going to be  very nice, because so far  everything  is  going  soooo  nicely,,,,oh, as for skinny front's, I'll vote yes on that note......great work.....the Ace....;)

Thanks Johnny.

Ace: Thank you as well bud. I'm getting fired up to keep the progress up on this. I built pretty steady at the latter part of last week and over the weekend and before I knew it I had the chassis done. The stance is true to form as all the axles/ spindles are set where they are gonna be. And yeah..........it's skinnies all the way . ;)

Thanks Johnny.

Ace: Thank you as well bud. I'm getting fired up to keep the progress up on this. I built pretty steady at the latter part of last week and over the weekend and before I knew it I had the chassis done. The stance is true to form as all the axles/ spindles are set where they are gonna be. And yeah..........it's skinnies all the way . ;)

great on that decision..... I think the reason for many guy's having such interest in this build of yours in general is that this particular kit is a tough one to bring the best out in it,,,, because as we all know, by today's standard's there are better 69 Camaro kit's. To see a project  massaging a truly old school piece and working it all the way is really neat to see.....I'll be waiting to see this one... 'under glass'......the Ace....^_^

Mister you've got that right about the better Camaro kits these days. Loyalty prevails on this one though. lol

Well folks I got the letters removed from the rear tires and polished up to an acceptable finish on the sidewalls, cleaned up the sidewalls on the front skinnies and sanded the tire tread on all fours. I used a couple of rim backers from my spare 41 Willy's kit and sanded them down so the edges would be flush with the tire sidewalls on the inside of the front wheel/ tire assys.

Here's the before and after of that. OOB on the right and thinned down version on the left

001_zpsxgjz8ux5.jpg

Here's the set up fellas. Lettering is gone from the rear tires.

002_zpsnztjictn.jpg

Ummm.................it looks like I've got some smoothing up to do on those wheel edges. :o. Good ol macro shots....you just can't beat 'em.^_^

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Glenn and Carl.  I've always liked these tires but never had the skills to make 'em look any better till lately.

I shot the gloss coat on this morning and I really couldn't be happier about the outcome. I used MM "Wet Look" gloss coat and it'll dry like this. You can see the chameleon like effect on the lower parts of the body going from green to blue to purple. Now for the cure out...................