Model Cars Magazine Forum

35 Yr. Old Monogram 69 Camaro SS-Now "Under Glass"-07/20

mustang1989

I just got rid of the Rampage car after I robbed the decals. I also robbed the decals from the Hijacker years ago as I want to build that car in Revell form as well. Also the white street machine and the other molded in red street machine. If memory serves There were two red, two yellow, and one off white versions....

The Red street machine with CAMARO Z28 decals.

The Red High Roller series one of three, the 70 Chevelle and the Chevy luv were the other two.

The White  one shown above... I've built one of these boxart themed Revell as well but I got rid of it accidentally so It's back on list agian.

The yellow cars were of course the Rampage  (my favorite) and the most recent release with blue and black scalp decals. Did I get them all?... if not please correct me. :) 

I just got rid of the Rampage car after I robbed the decals. I also robbed the decals from the Hijacker years ago as I want to build that car in Revell form as well. Also the white street machine and the other molded in red street machine. If memory serves There were two red, two yellow, and one off white versions....

The Red street machine with CAMARO Z28 decals.

The Red High Roller series one of three, the 70 Chevelle and the Chevy luv were the other two.

The White  one shown above... I've built one of these boxart themed Revell as well but I got rid of it accidentally so It's back on list agian.

The yellow cars were of course the Rampage  (my favorite) and the most recent release with blue and black scalp decals. Did I get them all?... if not please correct me. :) 

LOL. You look like you might've got it all there Anthony.

Say good bye to the paint fellas. Currently in a bath of Dot 3 Brake Fluid:

and I just acquired this yesterday....

Oh no, please don't waste any of that nice photoetch stuff on that Monogram Camaro. Save it for a good Revell build.

LOL! It's alright Rich.....I'll get another fret of this stuff if I need it. I'll spend a little money on this thing but by large I'll be using almost all of the original parts.

LOL! It's alright Rich.....I'll get another fret of this stuff if I need it. I'll spend a little money on this thing but by large I'll be using almost all of the original parts.

Okay, I'll try to get pics of my front pan mod taken this weekend so at least you can get that goin' for ya. I have Monday off so I might have time to do it then.

Okay, I'll try to get pics of my front pan mod taken this weekend so at least you can get that goin' for ya. I have Monday off so I might have time to do it then.

Man thanks Rich. I appreciate that. I've got nuthin' but time on this one as it'll take me a little bit to get to that point.

Oh yeah l'm glad to see that color go with all the choices avaliable today it would be tough not to strip it and paint it something more suitable. 

When I first started painting I used non metallic colors because I didn't trust myself. I think I used that color on a revell car one time. 

My uncle would brush paint his models and I was always amazed at how smooth and glossy the paint was. There was never any brush strokes, no dirt or fibers, and they looked like they were dipped in a bucket. The thickness was more than it probably should've have been but still looked darn good for a brush job.

Still on this one fellas. I've managed to strip most of the paint from all the parts.

The body turned out pretty good and still needs some cleaning up. I ended up clipping one of the rear tail light openings at the bottom and knocked the thin strip at the bottom of the opening out so I'll have to work some fancy foot work to get that back in line but it shouldn't be all that bad. There are some parts that are missing so I ordered a spare parts kit for fairly cheap.

Body paint is all stripped and ready to go...

I've got the wheels and tires picked out for it now after a few days of searching.

I started setting up two different stances but I like the second one alot better so I think we'll be going with that one.

This isn't going to be a "numbers matching Camaro" as I'll be changing a few things up to more of a mild modified street car. I'm currently looking for a blank grille with no Z/28 or RS emblems in it. I had 'em on ebay just last night and forgot to visit when I was supposed to and lost it. Indifferent

Stay tuned...more coming this week.

. I'm currently looking for a blank grille with no Z/28 or RS emblems in it. I had 'em on ebay just last night and forgot to visit when I was supposed to and lost it. Indifferent

Stay tuned...more coming this week.

I think GBO built one of these as a Yenko a couple decades ago, and he used the right half of two grilles to get one with no emblem. Since you've now got a spare, you could do the same thing.

Okay, 'stang, as promised, here's a few pics. Tried to clean these old crocks up a little for the pics, but I warn you, they're filthy.

The one on the left I built in the mid '70s. didn't like how it turned and in fact never really finished it. Then I did a second one (right) which came out a little better. I don't remember exactly what I did to the front end but I know it involved narrowing the front pan a little and "tucking in" the end pieces a bit.

Here's the rest of what the all-gray one looks like. That body could really use a section job above the accent line. But with the "new" Revell kit available and cheap, why bother?

And then here's one I built in the mid or late '80s, inspired by a real Pro Street that was in the car rags of the day. I made the same mod to the front end of it.

Okay, being a Ford guy, flaws in Fomoco kits jump out at me, so enlighten me, why does this Camaro look weird to me?

The body is too fat, specifically between the  fender "speed lines" and the tops of the fenders. And the grille isn't shaped right, either. On every example of this kit I've seen, the roof is too flat, too, but that can be helped a little by bending it up a little. (The Monogram '66 Chevelle and '65 Corvette have the flat roof problem, too, maybe others.)

The body is too fat, specifically between the  fender "speed lines" and the tops of the fenders. And the grille isn't shaped right, either. On every example of this kit I've seen, the roof is too flat, too, but that can be helped a little by bending it up a little. (The Monogram '66 Chevelle and '65 Corvette have the flat roof problem, too, maybe others.)

.....Richard, this forum is a class act situation.....how dare you present dusty, unwashed model's for all to view here....lol....:lol:..:lol:....please, for any future photo offering's, be certain they sparkle as to dazzle each forum viewer .....the Ace...:P

.....Richard, this forum is a class act situation.....how dare you present dusty, unwashed model's for all to view here....lol....:lol:..:lol:....please, for any future photo offering's, be certain they sparkle as to dazzle each forum viewer .....the Ace...:P

What? Have you never heard the truism that "You can't polish a turd!"? :D

The kit with the White Car was a christmas present way back from my older sister. Never painted it just put it together. Decals and all. Still have it broken and dusty. Thanks for the idea of a rebuild Joe. 

Go for it Andy!! :D

Ok folks. This is the very best that Monogram could do in the late 70's and throughout the early 80's I guess. It's not very accurate but it's what I've got ................so we'll deal with that.

It's not going to be perfect but I'm shooting for the best I can do with this interior bucket to transform it into something that somewhat resembles this....minus the wood grain of course. Yuck!

Go for it Andy!! :D

Ok folks. This is the very best that Monogram could do in the late 70's and throughout the early 80's I guess. It's not very accurate but it's what I've got ................so we'll deal with that.

It's not going to be perfect but I'm shooting for the best I can do with this interior bucket to transform it into something that somewhat resembles this....minus the wood grain of course. Yuck!

I was about to tell you don't waste your time, just squirt the thing in semigloss black and get on with your life, and then I remembered that quite recently I spent a certain amount of time pimping out the interior of an equally wretched old MPC '69 Camaro. I don't know what drives and compels us to expend precious time and effort on kits that are horrendous backbirths when much, much better kits are readily available, and yet, we do it, don't we? So drive on, and above all, have FUN with it. B)

I was about to tell you don't waste your time, just squirt the thing in semigloss black and get on with your life, and then I remembered that quite recently I spent a certain amount of time pimping out the interior of an equally wretched old MPC '69 Camaro. I don't know what drives and compels us to expend precious time and effort on kits that are horrendous backbirths when much, much better kits are readily available, and yet, we do it, don't we? So drive on, and above all, have FUN with it. B)

MPC69Camaro46_zpsmg77vd27.jpg

MPC69Camaro44_zpshe1kffhg.jpg

Lol!! I hear ya loud and clear Rich. It the sentimental value of the kit that drives me to put a little more time into it. That MPC interior looks pretty dang good there I'll tell you that.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in updates everybody. I've been working on this thing but there are a lot of corrections to make. First off the PE bezels are NOT going to work with this dash ....................BUT I've got a different plan. Here's where I started:

I drilled out the IP gauges and sanded down the back of them for the scale thickness factor and sanded the Camaro emblem off as well as cleaned up a bunch of flash and sinkholes that I found not only on top of the dash but the face of it as well.

Here it is all cleaned up and painted. All dash trim was brought out with a silver lead pencil. While it's not the best dash you'll ever see, it's a far cry from what it was.

Very nice! As long as you have an easy way to do the chrome trim--your silver pencil--you might as well hit those vents on both sides of the dash. Those were chrome on the real car. I know--I had two of them and spent a certain amount of time fiddling with those things.