Model Cars Magazine Forum

That blue looks really good!

and I have to ask, is this the original or the rebuild?

After checking it out today, the paint looks nice..............no orange peel and shiny. The cool thing about doing a build of a real vehicle is when you nail the "look", and it replicates the stance, attitude, and just IS a true miniature. So far so good............but still lots of time to go wrong! I still have the interior, chassis plumbing & wiring, exhaust, all underhood details including A/C, SOMEHOW converting an '84 grille and front bumper to an '85, proper shading and coloring of the undercarriage to look real, and myriad other little issues just lurking around the corner! still is fun though!

After checking it out today, the paint looks nice..............no orange peel and shiny. The cool thing about doing a build of a real vehicle is when you nail the "look", and it replicates the stance, attitude, and just IS a true miniature. So far so good............but still lots of time to go wrong! I still have the interior, chassis plumbing & wiring, exhaust, all underhood details including A/C, SOMEHOW converting an '84 grille and front bumper to an '85, proper shading and coloring of the undercarriage to look real, and myriad other little issues just lurking around the corner! still is fun though!

Ah, yes. That all is what makes it fun. I was just scanning the few finished builds here to take one to Bennington today for the Model Show and a '90 Legacy of my wife's old car still has a video rental on the dash! :lol:

Tom,

I like where you are headed with this one. Back in '81, I had three Chevy Silverados for demonstrators, all 1/2 ton loaded 2wd long beds. We used to call them "Cowboy de Villes" They sold very well for our dealership. We also did well with K20 Silverados with the 454/Turbo 400. I want to build one for myself. I still have one of the '78 MPC kit with the bench seat and 2wd. I may turn one of the GMC slant fronts into a Chevy, using the resin grille. The '81 Kit is too expensive for my budget right now.

I used to have a truck I called the Cadillac. It was a '69 Chevy CST, 1/2 ton 8' box, 2WD with a very built 350 engine with 202 heads in it. That old girl was smooth riding and fast. Danged thing rotted away under my eyes though.............sadly got rid of it and bought the 1:1 version of the build I am presently working on. This one made a much better impression on me. I seem to have a habit of running my vehicles into the ground. Had a 93 full size Bronco that I got rid of at 430,000 miles. Would still be running it if I thought it could have handled a plow at my new home, miss that old ride! drove an '89 S-Jimmy to 320,000 miles until it simply stopped moving. I do try to get my money's worth out of 'em! Model on!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, got a bit more done on this build..............got the engine wiring started, got the chassis about done except for the final brake lines, the glass is installed, flush with the window openings instead of stuck on the inside. The interior is done except for the door locks added after these photos. The wheels and tires are done, and all of the parts are coming together. The firewall reflects the K3500 Hydroboost system for the brakes as well as the A/C plenum. IMG_2727_zpsrem2dycn.jpgIMG_2734_zpsc1rrq6c9.jpgIMG_2732_zpsktxhdvth.jpgIMG_2731_zpsxovjj5db.jpgIMG_2730_zpsajiqdt03.jpgIMG_2729_zpsktmhvvsv.jpgIMG_2728_zpsydqmzssz.jpgIMG_2706_zpswdbunkev.jpgDid a punch list just like when I used to do real car and truck builds...............only have about 75 items to attend to yet! Converted the '84 grille to an approximation of an '85 version. Modified the front bumper to eliminate the directional lights, as in the '85. Probably going to have to have an '84 bumper on it for a bit until I can get the modified bumper chromed. Going to start assembling in a day or two when I get the final inner things done. THIS is the FUN part!

Spent the day getting the punchlist finished out. Got the exhaust, brake lines, heater hoses, A/C lines, power steering lines, cab and tailgate marker lights,door handles, radiator hoses, gas tanks, e-brake cables, driveshafts, grille detailing, underhood insulation, and myraid other little things done. Have antennas, mirrors, hood details, bumpers and grille to do tomorrow, and the next stop will be Under Glass.IMG_2760_zpsro7rll1m.jpgIMG_2759_zpsndxvwngp.jpgIMG_2758_zpspuyzdswd.jpg

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

This build has been a challenge from the beginning to try to replicate the 1:1 truck that I had and to also try to remember all of the details. The build started with a cab from the Fall Guy kit, with corrected cab corners and panel lines, and a sanded roof to get rid of the sunroof shadow. The frame was used from the same kit with a stretch added to it to get to the 131.5" wheelbase. The box is a resin from MAD Model Parts and it has underneath detailing added for all of the cross members and ribs. The paint is PPG Shopline enamel, GM Code 29 blue.

The molded in gas tank was removed and another one from a second kit was sourced and made to resemble the real dual tanks.  Proper cross members were added, an extension to the frame for the rear bumper was added, and  the molded on spare tire was removed. The suspension points were removed as well. I modified a resin cast GM 14 bolt Corporate rear axle and scratched main and helper springs and hangers from Evergreen strips. Brass u-bolts added detail.  The front Dana 60 axle was scratch built from pieces and parts and reference photos and the front springs and u-bolts and hangers were also scratched.

The engine block and transmission came from the Monte Carlo kit, as did the exhaust and A/C and fan belt drives.  The carburetor, wheels, tires and door handles came from Fireball Modelworks.  I cut the center out of the hood  and added a cowl hood from a Camaro kit. I filled the sunroof groove inside the cab. The interior uses a dash from the parts box, and seats from a later model dualie kit. I added arm rests and door pull straps, and a few details to the interior as well. The rear glass was flush mounted. The  distributor was scratch built and the wiring order is correct. The transfer case and driveshafts are from the parts box.

I turned the cab lights from amber stock in my lathe. The tailgate lights, unique to the 3500 series are from the parts box. The A/C plenum is made from an old AMT Corvette FI plenum. The brake HydroBoost is from the parts box. The under hood plumbing is a combination of telephone wire, rubber tubing, hex fittings, and 1/32" solder. The under hood insulation is a dryer sheet. I modified the grill to replicate a 1985 model, and detail painted it as such.

The front bumper had the marker lights filled and awaits chroming. Until then, it will have a 1984 bumper on it. It will use the standard Fall Guy rear bumper, dechromed and painted silver.  I expect to get it done tomorrow, and have the final photos posted then. This was a VERY fun build and was very rewarding because I finally  finished my rebuild of my old truck, albeit in 1/25 scale!

Edited by redneckrigger