Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pete 379 Resin Hood/grill

Does anyone know if GW's Pete 379 hood/grill will work for a 1993 Pete?  The one I'm doing has the headlights mounted to the grill, looks like the newer Petes have the lights molded into the fenders.

Thanks

You can see a picture of this conversion on Sourkraut's website under hood conversions on page 6. The best that I can tell with this conversion you will have to use the headlights from the 378 kit (unless you're wanting a different style like round headlights). There were Peterbilts like the 377's even in 93 that had the headlights in the fenders. I'm no Peterbilt expert for sure, but if you are trying to depict a 379, I think this conversion would work fine. There were however various versions of Peterbilts made in 93. You probably already know this, but there were also two hood lengths on the 379. Gary's conversion is for the long hood. Look at the picture and see if that is what you're looking for.

Thanks Brian.  I'm no expert either.  I did a little research and found out what I need to know.  I haven't been able to find a photo of Gary's hood so i was asking here figuring someone would have built one.  I'll check the site you suggest.  I have the kit coming and the order for the hood and springs is ready for the mail.  I'm building it for a friend who owned a 93 379 long hood so I think I'll be good to go from here.  Paint might be a bit tricky (his was called Black Cherry, looked black except in bright sun when it took on a hint of the red) but I have an idea and this is the perfect time to try it.  If it works, I'll use the same technique to do my Smokey/Bandit KW which was a similar black with a hint of brown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...