Model Cars Magazine Forum

Zvezda 2 foot Star Destroyer

This is a Russian made kit of the Star Wars Star Destroyer, a Holy Grail kit for SW modelers for the last 40 years. Quality, fit, and finish are top notch. The sides of the super structures are separate detail panels applied to the hull. The edges are beveled resulting in excellent fit. The side trenches assemble the same way. They are also keyed so you can't put them in the wrong place or position. For me, I'll be building the major sub assemblies then drilling and running fiber. I'll then assemble the sub assemblies.
My impression so far is excellent. I originally thought the Anigrand was better detailed, but with this being a plastic kit, the details are so much sharper. Given a choice between the two, I'd opt for the Zvezda.

Assembly starts with adding the detail panels to the lower super structures.

Then on to the trenches.

Comparison of the lower hull with the new lights/sound Revell snap together.

Got all the trench pieces installed. There are some "bare" spots that will need some greeblies added to them. Again, love the way this kit is going together. I need to order .5mm fiber optic this week. I'll start on the other super structure assemblies today and then start drilling holes. Engines will need to be drilled out as well. Here are some new pics and where she sits now.

Port side trench detail.

The inside edges of the starboard side trench. You'll have to drill thru both to run fiber.

Bare spots needing details.

And the upper and lower hulls resting together.

Thanks guys!

Got a lot done on the kit this weekend. I cut out the back of the spine and built a full garbage chute complete with space junk and a Slave 1. I also drilled out all the windows for the fiber optics. Started mods to the engines as well for lighting. Very productive weekend!

Space junk the Slave 1 will sit with.

Lots and lots of holes...

Looking pretty jimongous compared to the Revell snapper!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time!
Finished running all the fiber optics. And yes, I used all 160 feet of fiber with just trimmings left over. I got all my LEDs wired up and fiber cups installed. Below are some progress pictures.

Pre wired LEDs ready to install.

And a quick lighting test.