Model Cars Magazine Forum
fomocomav

AMT Sunbeam Tiger motor

Does anyone have a spare motor from an AMT Sunbeam Tiger?  I don't need the air cleaner, just everything else for the motor, including the exhaust manifolds.  Thanks!

Well the Sunbeam Tiger had a Ford small block so almost any 260-289-302 cui engine in 1:25th scale would cut the job.

AMT's '67 Mustang has a very nice 289 in 1/25 scale.

The Tiger was the Ford V8 powered version, based on the Alpine that had a 4 cylinder Rootes engine.

So Force and afx are on the money!

Cheers,

-Don.

I've compared the 289s in the 67 and elsewhere, but they are too different (to my eye, anyway), and so I'd just like the V8 out of the Tiger kit.  The 289 works great for a 302, and THAT I've done.  I just hoped someone had a kit and decided to do something wild with it and didn't need the motor.

It also comes with a stock 4cyl. too. Which one do you need?

I WISH the kit came with a 4 cyl.  I'd just buy one and make the Alpine, too.  Getting the actual Alpine (Get Smart car, maybe a stock issue, too?) is not cheap.  One of those will have to remain on the "hope to find at a flea market or garage sale" list.

I WISH the kit came with a 4 cyl.  I'd just buy one and make the Alpine, too.  Getting the actual Alpine (Get Smart car, maybe a stock issue, too?) is not cheap.  One of those will have to remain on the "hope to find at a flea market or garage sale" list.

I've got one half built stored somewhere in a box. It had both engines. And fender flares and race parts and stock steel wheels and racing wheels in it. It came in a plain white box with black ink. I think it was an amt/ertl box. It was some kind of signature series or something special like that. I cant remember what was on the box now. I got it off e bay a few years ago. I was going to build a race car out of it, but the engine sit in it funny. Never could get it to lay in there flat like it should. I figure if I get back to it, it's going to get the 4 put in it and I'm going to do the Get Smart car out of it. It's not signature series either, someone on here will see it and know what I'm talking about.

I've compared the 289s in the 67 and elsewhere, but they are too different (to my eye, anyway), and so I'd just like the V8 out of the Tiger kit.  The 289 works great for a 302, and THAT I've done.  I just hoped someone had a kit and decided to do something wild with it and didn't need the motor.

The Tiger had a 260 and later the 289, and the 221-260-289 and 302 are in fact the same basic engine, they are the same size and has the same outside apperance, the difference between them are all internal (bore and stroke, combustion chambers, valve sizes and so on)...other differences may be different intake systems and valve covers, otherwise they are the same, so any of them will work just fine in a Tiger.
I have owned a Ford with a small block for many years and I know what I'm talking about.

Force, I am not building a Tiger.  I want the motor from one to put into a 260 Shelby Cobra.  The water pump/front cover are very different, and in such a bare engine compartment, the differences show.  That is the reason I want a 260, and cannot use anything with a different (289) front cover/water pump.  I understand the blocks are the same on the outside.  But, when I look into the engine compartment of a 260 and a 289 Cobra, it is easy to tell they are different.  The exhaust headers are different, too.  It is the external differences to the whole motor (not just the block) that come into play.

I haven't dug out my Tiger kit to compare but I used the 289 from the Revell/Monogram '66 Shelby GT350 to represent a 260 in a Cobra I built.  The engine is 1/24 scale but I don't think it looks out of place in the 1/25 scale AMT Cobra. This same engine can also be found in the Revell/Monogram "64" Mustang Convertible.  I scratch built the Spaulding Flamethrower magneto but IIRC everything else came from the Revellogram kits.  A few of the parts sellers on ebay offer this engine from time to time.   Not trying influence your engine choice just showing you an option.  

IMG_9479-vi.jpgIMG_9509.JPG

Edited by afx

I haven't dug out my Tiger kit to compare but I used the 289 from the Revell/Monogram '66 Shelby GT350 to represent a 260 in a Cobra I built.  The engine is 1/24 scale but I don't think it looks out of place in the 1/25 scale AMT Cobra. This same engine can also be found in the Revell/Monogram "64" Mustang Convertible.  I scratch built the Spaulding Flamethrower magneto but IIRC everything else came from the Revellogram kits.  A few of the parts sellers on ebay offer this engine from time to time.   Not trying influence your engine choice just showing you an option.  

IMG_9479-vi.jpgIMG_9509.JPG

Very nice Cobra!  I found the motor from the Tiger from someone, so I'm going to go with it.  Thanks for the inspiration, though!

just to nit pick a bit.  The 260 had a 5 bolt bellhousing to block.  early 1-2 years of 289s could be had with a 5 bolt bellhousing.  All later 289-302 engines were 6 bolt belhousings.  :)

just to nit pick a bit.  The 260 had a 5 bolt bellhousing to block.  early 1-2 years of 289s could be had with a 5 bolt bellhousing.  All later 289-302 engines were 6 bolt belhousings.  :)

So, were the bellhousings interchangeable?  I mean, could the guts from the later 289-302 be used on a 260 with a 5 bolt bellhousing?

No,  the 5 bolt and 6 bolt did not have common bolt locations for all the bolts.

The 6 bolt bellhousing was to accommodate a larger flywheel and clutch, you can use the smaller in the 6 bolt housing but not the other way around
The 64 Fairlane I owned for 12 years had a 5 bolt 289 with a C4, I built a 302 based 347 stroker wich have 6 bolt bell housing and got a newer C4 tranny for it and planned to change, but sold the car before I did...and I have now also sold the 347 engine and tranny since I have no use for it in the car I have now wich is a 63½ Galaxie 500 XL with a FE 390.

Yes there are some differences in the water pump area on a 260-early 289 and later 289-302 OEM cars, but how much of that will you see with the pulley on, the timing cover are almost the same on the outside, the early one is slightly deeper and the earliest ones from 1962 had an oil filler tube.

Edited by Force

I could be wrong but I think that oil filler tube carried over from the 289 Cobra kit to the AMT 66 Mustang coupe.

vamach1, there IS an oil filler tube on the 1966 Mustang kit.  I know I noticed it before, but it just dawned on me that it isn't supposed to be there!  I would have figured it out when I went to do the build, but all this time I've been looking at it, and never put any thought into it.  I have a spare 67 parts kit that has a complete motor, so that will take care of it.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I can rectify the parts situation and update my build outline for it.  I don't like to keep that in my head because it would explode with all the projects I have!

Apart from the oil filler tube, the timing cover and water pump of a 260 and an early 289 are the same. Early 289s have a plug in the timing cover where the oil filler tube originally was. The oil filler tube was phased out beginning in late'63.

Edited by RancheroSteve

1963-ford-fairlane-500-running-260-engin64.5-260-engine-compartment.jpg

This looks like a 289 with the oil tube plug.

smallblock7.gif

Edited by afx

Yes, the bottom engine shows the freeze plug that fills the hole where the oil fill tube originally went. SBFs had that feature for years after the oil fill tube went away.

Not quite sure what cars those engines are in (Fairlanes?), but they are both all kinds of mix-ups, especially the lower one. Ford Blue didn't appear until 1966, but generators went out after '64, and the blue engine has a much later air cleaner.

Just random photos from the internet Steve, ran a search for Ford 260 engines.