Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just one of those days.

Its enough to just ruin your day I tell ya. Between some not so good events in the garage on the 1/1 1968 Charger R/T I'm restoring for a client and then this happens at the model bench ..Its enought to just ruin your day I say.

All was going great. Primary color  is Rustoleum2X  to replicate the 59 Ford color called Geranium ( a pinkish orange so to speak ) Whole interior was sprayed in Duplicolor white primer. Masked off the white seat inserts with bare metal foil then sprayed the primary color with 2 very light coats . After about an hour or 2 to flash off,,,,then topped it off with one coat of flat clear. And let that dry over night. Yesterday morning it looked killer with no issues.  Then yesterday afternoon  I then hand painted the door panel accents and the black seat inserts. Then topped off with 2 light coats of testors flat clear. . Again zero paint issues. 

I had done a spoon test with this same  primer , color and clear  back before Christmas with no issues.

Late yesterday afternoon I had to touch up a couple tiny spots with a brush in the primary color on the back side of the front seat ....so I  had to spray one more coat of flat clear on it, ,,,,That's when disaster struck. Some areas turned this weird white color, others crinkled like I sprayed enamel over lacquer. ( its not btw )  . Weird part is I had already sprayed a couple coats of this clear on the interior earlier in the day with zero issues so I don't think its a humidity issue ,,at least I don't think it is . Either way there's no polishing it. In the purple pond it goes

I absolutely hate ,,,,yes  HATE stripping paint. Especially when all was going so well. I was REALLY excited about this build. Now not so much.

DSC00869.JPG

DSC00868.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Sorry to hear this happened to your project Bill.....I have had those days too and had strange paint issues from out of the blue.  The 69 Plymouth 4 door wagon I built was one of them...after a month of bodywork and filler had the body in great shape and ready to paint...one coat of paint and it had a strange reaction for some reason...had to strip it all off and start over including the filler.  Good luck with it. Remember...if one falls from a horse the best thing to do is get right back on it and try again.

Glad I'm not the only one. last nite I ,,I just closed up the garage, turned out the light at the bench. took the wife to dinner and had a cold adult beverage  and forgot about it all

Oh well, today is a new day. Its already swimming in the pond. and my parts in for the Charger so I'll be  back to it once the garage warms up

As you have seen many have had similar paint issues. My suggestion would be to try to keep all of the paint you are using be from the same "family". I have had the same thing when painting lacquers over enamel. The difference in drying time seems to be the biggest problem. Some times when the colors you want to use are not available from one paint maker it can get real messy as you found out. You may have to strip  the whole thing and start over. Hopefully it didn't effect the plastic.          

As you have seen many have had similar paint issues. My suggestion would be to try to keep all of the paint you are using be from the same "family". I have had the same thing when painting lacquers over enamel. The difference in drying time seems to be the biggest problem. Some times when the colors you want to use are not available from one paint maker it can get real messy as you found out. You may have to strip  the whole thing and start over. Hopefully it didn't effect the plastic.          

its in the pond now.

going to try a different process next go around . same paints just a whole lot less clear. 

sure hope it didnt  effect the base plastic. Its as old as i am amd survived all these years .

I'd suspect the Rustoleum.  I bought a can of a buckskin color for interiors.  The parts didn't dry for a long while. Figure it was still wet deep down when you hit it with the Dullcote making it frost.  What's strange with that theory is that the   Rustoleum never touched the white area and black insert...

I've never had issues with either Duplicolor primer or Testors Dullcote.

I'd suspect the Rustoleum.  I bought a can of a buckskin color for interiors.  The parts didn't dry for a long while. Figure it was still wet deep down when you hit it with the Dullcote making it frost.  What's strange with that theory is that the   Rustoleum never touched the white area and black insert...

I've never had issues with either Duplicolor primer or Testors Dullcote.

I was concerned about compatibility issues with the 2 paint brands. But like said I did   a spray test on a spoon with this exact primer, and both paints just maybe a week ago  with ZERO issues.  I read on a facebook board I belong to where a lot of people have used this paint with no complaints. I sure hope so,,,as I have about a half dozen cans of it for various projects coming up.

I think it was might be a  humidity issue ( not likely as  I had sprayed the same paint earlier in the day with no issues ) But deep down my gutt tells me it was too much paint overall  and/or mostly just too much too  quick .

I'll find out soon enough. Its in the pond now ,,,and once stripped and I'll start over with it  next week just with less paint in a short amount of time ,,,,,,and BEFORE  I paint the body of the car with it

The problem was the re-coat time, if you don't re-coat it within an hour you have to wait till it fully cures.

I've never paid any attention to any re-coat times with Testors paint & have never had any issues like this.

I suspect that there could be an issue with re-coat windows with the Rustoleum paint, or their is just a compatibility issue between the two.

Although I find that unlikely as Testors paints have proven themselves to be pretty much compatible with anything in my experience.

I've used Testors clear gloss & flat lacquers over everything including enamels & acrylics with no problems.

My question to Bill is, why so many dull coats?

You shouldn't have to clear coat after every color.

I would do all of my individual colors & then top it off with whatever you want to use for a finish coat.

I did this same interior combo a while back & just topped it off with a light mist coat of pearl acrylic to give it a metallic sheen.

Steve

DSCN3443

The problem was the re-coat time, if you don't re-coat it within an hour you have to wait till it fully cures.

Sounds right. I do use Krylon and Rustoleum and I have not had problems with Testor clears but if I use their flats or satin on interiors I don't Dulcote them. I do agree with Dave also no matter what we use even in the same family once in a while there is some kind of problem.. 

My question to Bill is, why so many dull coats?

You shouldn't have to clear coat after every color.

I would do all of my individual colors & then top it off with whatever you want to use for a finish coat.

I did this same interior combo a while back & just topped it off with a light mist coat of pearl acrylic to give it a metallic sheen.

Steve

Steve, reason was . I painted the tub white, masked off the seat inserts to retain the white. And then sprayed the primary color.

Reason the multiple clear coats was while painting the door panel inserts the black was dragging the base color up causing  streaks in both the black and the dark silver accents. The flat clear help this,,but didnt totally eliminate the issue,,but it helped. So next time I'll just really let the paint dry and deal with streaks at that time  if get them again

My plan next time is start out the same - base white primer ( its duplicolor I think ) . tape it off for the white seat inserts again, and spray the Geranium. Then just sit it aside and leave it alone for a week or two to fully cure. THEN do my hand painting of the door panel accents and the black seat inserts. Then a light coat of  flat clear to take the shine off the color.

I'll work in the garage 1/1 and on my SuperBird project in the meantime.

My problem was I just couldn't get excited or really motivated to work on the Bird. Its a long way from an out of the box build and to be honest. Ive gotten away from such  detailed builds just because they take so long. and I loose interest in the project.

As for the quality. I like it. And I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. This is the same paint - Testors  flat clear lacquer on the boot cover and semi-gloss clear lacquer on the dash .

I had to take  maybe 5 or 6 pics of this to get what I feel truly represents the actual color of the parts i have in my hand to show on my monitor.

DSC00857.JPG

Edited by gtx6970