Model Cars Magazine Forum

Last Modelhaus Order

Kind of a sad day today. I got my last order from Modelhaus today. In May I ordered their 1967 Grand Prix convertible. My all time favorite Poncho. It came like everything I ever ordered from Modelhaus. A nicely designed kit, in perfect condition. That's why I'm a bit sad.

Carol and Don Holthaus always did a great job running their company. In the 25 or 30 years I dealt with them, I never once had a problem. Or was dissatisfied with what I got. Thank you Carol and Don.

A good buddy of mine a week of two ago got his last order from Modelhaus. He too ordered a '67 Grand Prix convertible. Plus a '72 Riviera and '74 Caprice Estate wagon. All three very nice kits. I'm sad that I was unable to order a '72 Riv from them. Budget being what is.

I'd be interested in what others have gotten as their last models from Modelhaus. And what their thoughts are on what they got.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I am waiting on my order from July. I ordered one of their '60's Dodge pickups and the Shasta camper. Not sure if I will build the two at the same time as a package or use them separately.

Sure would be nice to hear that someone was going to pick up some or all of their line and continue the tradition.

Yea, I missed out on a lot of thier stuff I'd like to have, kust getting to the point financially that I could have bought a kit every now'n then.

I wouldn't get too bummed out about the Riv though Scott. As the former owner of a 1/1 '72 Riviera, I can say that no one has ever really done the car justice in resin.  

I've seen them all and bought a couple and none of them have captured the roof to rear 1/4 area and the roof-rear window-trunk lid transition at all well.

Also patiently waiting for my order from May.  I'm one of those guys that always thought of ordering from them, but never got around to it until it was "now or never" time.

Like many others, I've since thought of several additional items I should have ordered before the final window closed.  I'll still be happy to get what I have in the queue, when it's my turn.

Last month I got my order from May 15th...'60 New Yorker ht, '66 Buick Skylark convertible, ''66 Grand Prix ht and a bunch of parts.  I have two orders still pending--from June, a '70 Mercury Colony Park wagon, and from July, the '57 Dodge ht, '57 Dodge 2dr sedan, '57 DeSoto Adventurer, and '60 Plymouth 4dr sedan. 

Yea, I missed out on a lot of thier stuff I'd like to have, kust getting to the point financially that I could have bought a kit every now'n then.

I wouldn't get too bummed out about the Riv though Scott. As the former owner of a 1/1 '72 Riviera, I can say that no one has ever really done the car justice in resin.  

I've seen them all and bought a couple and none of them have captured the roof to rear 1/4 area and the roof-rear window-trunk lid transition at all well.

Modelhaus' '72 Riviera doesn't look too bad. Your right, no one has quite gotten the roof 100% right. My buddy who recently got the Modelhaus '72 Riv model owns one of each year of the real full-size the boattails. '71, '72, and '73. All three are GSs ('73 Stage 1, of course). For that matter, he owns one of every year Riv with the GS package from '65 - '75. Plus a few later Rivs (convertible, Silver Arrow, turbo, etc.). So looking that his new model we could see it was not quite right. A little flat in the middle rear part of the roof. Other than that, everything else looked pretty right on. And the roof it's really not that bad. It would take Riviera expert like my buddy, you, or I to really notice it.

Maybe someone will buy Modelhaus and bring back the Riv. Or better yet, I keep hoping Revell or Moebius may someday give us a boattail in styrene. But, I will not be holding my breath wait for that one.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I put my last order in around mid-July. I ordered one of their '64 Dodge Pickups. I had seen that kit at the NNL East a few years ago, and have wanted one ever since. Once I get that, I'm sure Moebius will announce one ?. I also ordered some odds & ends to finish up some old cars I have. 

Since then, I found a built '65 Valiant Craftsman kit for a screaming deal- it's missing the rear bumper and one taillight. I sure wish I could have ordered those pieces before they announced their closing, but I'll make it work out somehow. I'm kind of reluctant to buy incomplete old builts now, because I know the stuff to complete them is simply not available now. I have seen prices on parts on eBay go much higher lately, I wonder if prices for incomplete builts will be coming down as well?

I put my last order in around mid-July. I ordered one of their '64 Dodge Pickups. I had seen that kit at the NNL East a few years ago, and have wanted one ever since. Once I get that, I'm sure Moebius will announce one ?. I also ordered some odds & ends to finish up some old cars I have. 

Since then, I found a built '65 Valiant Craftsman kit for a screaming deal- it's missing the rear bumper and one taillight. I sure wish I could have ordered those pieces before they announced their closing, but I'll make it work out somehow. I'm kind of reluctant to buy incomplete old builts now, because I know the stuff to complete them is simply not available now. I have seen prices on parts on eBay go much higher lately, I wonder if prices for incomplete builts will be coming down as well?

Thats why I've been more selective  on my purchases for old annuals. The more complete they are ,,the more I'm interested.

I dont mind one or 2 missing pieces. but a complete mess I just pass right by and look for a better car to start

My last order from may got here a couple of weeks ago. Pretty happy with my '58 Ford hardtop and '69 Torino cobra but kinda wish I'd picked up one of those '67 Pontiacs as well. Sure hope things work out for a well deserved rest upon their retirement.

mike

Edited by mk11

My last order from May arrived in mid December, it struck me too that it was a lot like losing a friend.  My last Modelhaus Kit is the '57 Mercury (Canadian Ford) Pickup.  I've been haunting eBay for a '60 Ford pickup at reasonable price but never found anything reasonable that was rebuildable without tons and tons of work.  Modelhauses price was far less than a glue bomb off of eBay so it was a no brainier.   I also ordered a bunch of wheels and tires like always.  Quality was just as good as ever.

I was lucky to have got my last orders in as well, only dealing with Carol and Don from 2015 I have to say they are the nicest folks I've met in the hobby, they will be missed for sure.

I have several 67 Cougars and the 72 Riv ordered in May as well, can't wait to dig into the Riv

The 67 GP Convert is a very nice kit, I built it last year, however my rear bumper was about 3/8" too long and I did have to shorten it from the middle point to fit correctly, The same rear bumper for the HT but it fits much better.

gp1.jpg

pgp91.jpg

Edited by RestoModGuy

I ordered back in May and received my last order 2 weeks back, just a small bunch of parts to complete some old built ups, as always the parts are 1st class. it made me feel sad when opening that little white box that it would be the last time, but the guys have to enjoy their retirement.

only dealing with Carol and Tom 

His name is DON,  Don Holthaus.

I am still waiting for my last order, sent into the website during the final days.  On my first romp through the website I came up with a $1500 order of just kits. Then I remembered my track record for actually building resin that I already own,  plus not wanting to burden them to that degree, I whittled it down to the items that I really had to have.  That amounted to about $500.  I'm glad that bill didn't hit my credit card this month with the Christmas bills.  And I'm not concerned or biting my nails in anticipation.  The order will come when it does!

Hi, just wanted to provide this detailed information I received from Carol on Monday, 1/9, that should help some approximate receipt of their orders:

"we have just finished shipping orders that arrived on May 15th, the day we reopened the website.  We worked from mid-Oct. to last Fri. on those orders.  This week we will start on the orders for May 16 and 17.  We estimate it will take us three months to complete those orders.  The orders that came the remaining four days of that week (May 15 - 21) will take an additional two - three months.  Your order arrived on May 27th.  That week things got back to closer to normal.  I would estimate your order to be ready some time in the summer."

gt

I forget, did they stop orders right after Memorial Day, or right after 4th of July? I remember it was a couple days after a holiday, and I got in right at the very end. I was hoping for delivery sometime in the spring, but now it looks more like summer--LATE summer or fall. I'll go ahead and plan my spring/summer modeling around other projects. Lord Knows I've got 'em stacked up. B)

They closed the web sight shortly after the 4th weekend!

I went back and checked my emails and my last from them is July 7th. Right after I placed that order I thought of three more things I needed and went back in to place another one and bam, they were gone. Just like that. :(