Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT 2017 build: Western Star Cabover update photos added 03/07/17

First, good luck and happy building to all the builders.

This is what I am starting with, and this is where I want to take it. I have a KFS Road Commander to use for measurements and as a pattern. So, instead of cutting that expensive resin transkit up, scratching the cab out of styrene seems the way to go. It will be after cooled,  A model, 3406 powered, and have a little wheelbase. Even thinking about using the badlands motif paint job, but that is still undecided.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by purepmd
update title

I always loved the ads in my fathers Owner/Operators for the Western Stars when I was a kid especially this paint scheme. I had a White brochure my uncle got for me at a dealership but would have no idea where it went. Always love to follow your builds Mark, I learn something new every time!

that a very nice project , and yes , i know what you mean with the price of that transkit [ i have one in my stash ]

on fotki if you go to jabbeke , year 2010 you see a model of this one with the color from the poster [ dessert ] western star

you can take a look how he is done

follow this one 

Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate your inter

on fotki if you go to jabbeke , year 2010 you see a model of this one with the color from the poster [ dessert ] western star

you can take a look how he is done

Well, dang! Someone beat me to the Badlands paint job, and did it very well to boot!  I guess I can keep telling myself, "that is on a Road Commander". lol. I still want to do that paint job a lot. 

I always loved the ads in my fathers Owner/Operators for the Western Stars when I was a kid especially this paint scheme. 

Thanks, Michael, I know, I was working at a small fleet when these ads came out. Drivers were always leaving O/O issues laying around. There are a couple of black Stars that make me crazy! Might have to make 2 cabs, I have enough generic Italeri frames, hmm?! 

mark , it stil be a very good project

and now i know for sure , : I HAVE THAT POSTER  : , i wil look for it [ its a memory from long ago ] 

one of these day,s i wil hang al those old posters on the wall from my hobbyroom

follow this one

jacobus

Michael, in for a penny, in for a pound. This is the black one that makes me crazy. Thinking 3 might be even better. One other use of the High Cab White did: the Road Boss Integral. Already have a hood, to modify, off of eBay. Likely my next project.

BLK WS.jpg

RB INT.JPG

Edited by purepmd

Found inspiration in the paint racks of Hobby Lobby today. Of course, a new project needs new jars of paint, (even though I have plenty of paint on hand). Got lucky with the beige for the bottom, Testors Sand Beige matches very well. Testors Tangerine matches the top of the cab, in most other pictures I found, almost perfectly. Testors Orange, Black, and white, also, work great right out of the bottle. The only color that needs to be blended, is the rusty hued orange for the mesas and buttes themselves. A little Testors Light Brown mixed with regular orange should hit the spot. Really getting bit by the building bug now.

Thanks for all the kind, and encouraging words. Hope to have some in progress pics soon.

P.S. Found a brochure, online, that gave the names of the 4, special, introductory paint schemes. Monument Valley, which is pictured, and I am attempting, Rocky Mountain Sunset, War Bonnet, and Eagle Motif. The 3 others are pretty cool, but no match for the Monument Valley paint. Can't wait to fire up the airbrush!

• 2 weeks later...

Just doing the first monthly update, 02/03/17. Actually have made progress. All the flat panels for the front, rear, and sides, for all 3 cabs are cut out and shaped. 1 Western Star cab is almost assembled. Got the after-cooler built, along with new pulleys, for the Cat 3406. It is painted, plumbed, and has the individual belts, a power steering pump, and air conditioning compressor on it. The transmission has a detailed shift tower, and air splitter plumbing, to help it out. By the way, if you want a cheap, readily available, more than acceptable Cat yellow, check out Krylon Bauhaus Gold. Picked up a can at Wally World, and was very pleasantly surprised. Less than 1/3 of the price of a can at the Cat dealer.

I will have pictures before any primer goes on the cabs, that is the plan, as of now.

Thank you all for the kind words, and views.