Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 ford woody (gluebomb series) > rodded> 99% done pics

crazyrichard

So i bought one lot of used kits 90% usa stuff and a bunch of parts and bits !

All bodys are painted no sanding or primer , some incomplete ..but for what it is its gold .. for the parts alone its worth it :)

Now i forgot to take a pic of the painted body of this 48 woody i started on ....not sure if it will be slightly weathered because that was the plan but maybe not ..

it was green with a black roof and the wood light , i wetsanded most off and gave it a good coat of sand army paint out of a rattle can , great base stuff ! and the sand color is a great base for the woodwork

7e8edd42a43031e386cc4033ad3c08c6.jpg

59780da75d84796324ae4377fa8f807b.jpg

edd0e930b42a1433a2d3c61a69a57766.jpg

the rest looked kind of like this lol >

2ae5d959b6bfecefe63798edce36563b.jpg

65a9d992c470bb02f69eb2a1008bc25b.jpg

luckely the main parts are virgian styrene  :lol:

38e50315a6e4b3ad1c82622d0a659d55.jpg

so after the base paint i took a handbrush and didnt even tape it off ... and gave the whole woodframe 2 coats with brown woodstain over the sand color ..

Then took redbrown woodstain and painted the inner panels (over the brown stain)

577f9cfbd9dc9817e259cb70f7bd9da0.jpg

d1ca3c342938ad6120d59bce59832113.jpg

32e9c4fea3e632b8cb8206a3dac8f94b.jpg

when i look at it now i even think the sand color looks great , i can put gloss clear over the panels ...and keep the sand color ?!

Edited by crazyrichard

The thing is though, it's already kind of a weathered color, as opposed to the bright green in the photo. I'm not sure weathering would stand out that well on those colors. It would be lots of brown.

no no no , them i will use the brown as a base and put several tones over that , rust look and then either salt or hairspray and then a vivid color ...so something in the lines of the example

Just an idea on the roof. During the last century when but a wee lad my parents used to send me away to summer camp to I wasn't under foot during the summer. The camp had a rather nice '48 Plymouth Woody that was for the camps use and field trips and such. While still nice it would sit in a not quite weather tight garage in northern Wisconsin for 8 to 9 months out of the year. This caused excessive deterioration of the driver's side rear corner of the wood body. The material covering the roof on that corner had split and allowed water  and ice to sit their for months and over time the vinyl like cover allowed the stuffing that was between the cover and the wood headliner to start popping out.  As I remember it looked like the cotton batting that was used in the seats of cars from that era. Just a thought that may or may not work into what your trying for on your build.  

thnx guys !

Just an idea on the roof. During the last century when but a wee lad my parents used to send me away to summer camp to I wasn't under foot during the summer. The camp had a rather nice '48 Plymouth Woody that was for the camps use and field trips and such. While still nice it would sit in a not quite weather tight garage in northern Wisconsin for 8 to 9 months out of the year. This caused excessive deterioration of the driver's side rear corner of the wood body. The material covering the roof on that corner had split and allowed water  and ice to sit their for months and over time the vinyl like cover allowed the stuffing that was between the cover and the wood headliner to start popping out.  As I remember it looked like the cotton batting that was used in the seats of cars from that era. Just a thought that may or may not work into what your trying for on your build.  

i love your idea ! and something i def. would do normaly , but in this case only the metal parts so to speak will be patina-ed ..

more a made rusty look rather then a natural weathered vehicle , so the roof and wood will stay rather clean , chrome work in tact , nice wheels and a engine and chassis in nice order ....

i did a second coat om the tins , this time enamel revell paint .. all tapped on with a handbrush .. in fact funny , i sprayed on the tan basecoat ...after that the rest is all done by hand and nothing was taped off , so wood and tins are handbrushed and no masking ...i remeber times i would have made a mess of that hahaha

interiour parts and the spare wheel in a base coat

slow progres , i painted the rubber protectors on the rear wings .. if i knew what i was going to do with this woody before the woodwork was painted i would have cleaned them of and even clean the side trim ..but well for now i'll keep them

painted the rubber matts that where molded in the floor , runs over the tunnel , then made cloth (cloth tape) mats for the foor earea's

maybe i'll use these seats i modyfied and go for a more modern engine instead of the flathead ...not sure yet

ceiling got the first wood stain

thnx guys !

I suggest you weather the fabric covered roof section to a similar state as the body,If the body is worn and ratty the roof should have a similar state of wear.Good looking project,thanks for sharing.

yes but in fact the wood is rather unharmed , the roof will probable be painted flat black ....i was thinking about making the tins patina-ed ..so there will be paint over the rust , wood in good order , roof ...nice wheels and cool stance ....engine and chassis in nice order ...

if i would have build this as a beat up weathered woody i would have made the wood weathered and scuffed , and put some dents on the tins ...

so the idea is it will be  a made patina on the metal parts with the rest in good order ..

Edited by crazyrichard

i went for a painted wood effect on the dash , with the chrome insert washed with black ..

together with the window cracks and handles painted chrome

i'm going for the bench , it needs some paint or cloth .. not sure yet , floor in the back also needs work

painted the chrome strip under the doors , and painted the hinges and all the bolts in the wood chrome

roof needs black now ...

thnx guys !

painted the roof flat black , it needs to grow on me but its getting there :)

i build these custom rims for a nother project , never used them .. looks cool and the tyres are very realistic soft rubber ...

kind of looks sinister , i could paint them chrome or ......cool thing is its a staggered set and the rears are nice and wide with lots of rubber

but i also have these as a option , classic and i also love these , tyres are a bit skinny though