Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT Brockway 361 "Mountaineer" FINISHED !!!

My entry for the 2017 Truck a thon is a Brockway 361 based off the " Mountaineer" . Living just over the hill from the actual assembly plant where these trucks were built, yet being too young to have seen them during the glory years.. I felt this was my way to bring another Husky back home.  The exciting stories and appreciation for these trucks is so evident after wandering the seemingly endless street during the annual Brockway show held in Cortland NY.

The build stats will be AITM resin 361 resin cab,  Detroit 8V71  traded recently from Terry ( thanks a ton ) , and spoke wheels ! I'm using the Mack R685st for the chassis after a great friend was willing to trade Macks..Thanks Tom ! I'm also adding the 50 Ton Tulsa winch to the back.  The color I Finally decided is yellow cab w black fenders..classic combo

Heres the box of goodness

20170108_182745_zpshftyju6k.jpg

20170108_182633_zpsvekv4rli.jpg

20170108_182641_zps3s4k0a5x.jpg

I'll start this up in the next couple weeks !! hopefully everyone stops by     !!

Edited by gotnitro?

How similar were Brockways to Macks? Curious as we didn't have them in Australia. We had Leader trucks that had some Mack looking components on them. Cheers.

Ben

The Brockway 700 series, and 400 series Coe's had the same cabs that Mack used,  but thats as far as it went is my understanding. There are some interesting photos out there of a prototype Brockway "Superliner" that never went into production. Theres a whole conspiracy theory out there about Mack not having any good new designs, they see the new Brockway prototype, Brockway workers go on strike, Mack sees an opportunity, Mack shuts down Brockway, Mack produces their new "Superliner"!

• 1 month later...

Wait till ya see this truck sitting on its wheels...my bright idea to use a certain frame caused a few minI setbacks, but nothing a dremel couldn't  handle ! I'll add the pics tonite..it's a beast

Now to find the post about making the curved wind shield glass

Edited by gotnitro?

ok..without further ado ! Our favorite hosting site was being a PITA .

The 361 on its  wheels for a photo op !

Yes the rear tires are sticking WAY out right now..I'm setting the axle width and just stuck em on for a quick pic !  I used the metal kit axle inside a plastic tube to fit the hole in wheel backer. The tube was extra long for tweaking ! The rear suspension is none other than the Rockwells from the Autocar , and the front also sourced from that kit.

I sawed the outed hanger plate from the spring using a PE saw, so the spring will line up straight on the Mack frame. OH I m swapped to the spare DM800 tractor rails since the R Mack rails looked puny on this truck !!

After guessing at the wheel opening, the springs and axle were glued in. I ended up cutting the front motor mount/ x member till the autocar axle fit proper. here's the frame currently with its Detroit 8V nestled in the frame.

The battery box/ air tanks looked too far apart to me so the PE saw separated the Siamese twins and after judicious sanding, I had em looking better.

Thanks for dropping in!  Any comments welcome