Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT Brockway 361 "Mountaineer" FINISHED !!!

time for a weekend update ~~I wanted to add more attitude to this build, and what it was missing was pulling power.. I needed a winch !! I went the easy route and purchased one, but it seemed way out of scale behind the cab. A quick dig thru the spare parts kits , and I had a start. Adding a few angles and strips to it made it look tougher..so I fobbed up a redneck mount for it. I really wanted a tube cage around it, so out came the 1/ 8 tube and bashed one together ! Might not be OSHA approved but hey its fun !! Finally the skill fish mouthing tube came useful !lol

Whoa better add a few more protection over the reel..not to worry..

ok I realized something was missing...there needed to be a floor under the winch for the oil to drip and the tools to fall ! Don mills diamond plate and the trusty cutting wheel to the rescue. Lastly there had to be a place for the driver to stand..or a well stocked cooler to sit..

20170211_204535_zpsjnfiih6f.jpg

and the big picture..

20170211_210432_zpsjce6uqlw.jpg

I'm still working out something under the winch to fill that gap, a tool box or steps..not sure yet

hope everyone likes the progress

Edited by gotnitro?

Looks great!! This is going to be an awesome build!!

I'm curious. I see a lot of these winch set ups on model trucks, but am not familiar at all with them. Are these winches hydraulic drive or direct drive with maybe a pto and chain? I've had some experience with smaller winches on wreckers. Some were hydraulic, some were direct chain drive. Just curious.:huh:

That winch and cradle looks great. Make sure and throw some wrenches and hammers in there. Are planning on putting some rear fenders on? Just curious. The DM800 fenders would look killer on this. 

Looks great!! This is going to be an awesome build!!

I'm curious. I see a lot of these winch set ups on model trucks, but am not familiar at all with them. Are these winches hydraulic drive or direct drive with maybe a pto and chain? I've had some experience with smaller winches on wreckers. Some were hydraulic, some were direct chain drive. Just curious.:huh:

The winch looks right at home on this beast and I like the mods you made to it.

yeah I'm planning fenders , thanks for the idea about the dm800 fenders !!

I'm completely unsure about the winch drive type, but it was sourced from the big stick pete wrecker so assuming it was likely hydraulic .  The Tulsa I'd planned looking like chain drive , but the size bothered me.

thanksI appreciate the comments ! 

Thanks Gator ! 

I decided after much procrastination to open the hood , but very carefully .  the PE razor saw cut thru the resin like butter and in short order I had an open hood ! I'll post  a few pics after work. I'm searching for good detail photos of the plumbing on the 8v now it's exposed lol

I mentioned earlier Id opened the hood, and here's a peek at the progress. Hoping I can cheat and leave the other hood panel intact, but quite possibly  the hinge pin wont fit back together .. Another change to the winch cage, I added a curved outer roll bar inspired by the cobra's hood !!  enough gab..

back to the bench ttyl

finally time for a weekend update ~~  Oh boy its been  good week too.. I added a pretend drip rail to the firewall to hold the hood after hinging it, and cleaned up all the stray cuts. The hinge was made from brass tube / music wire .

I'm really pleased how thin this cab was, Ive seen a few that were seriously thick , making this process almost impossible without making resin dust clouds !! I did lightly thin the edges for a more to scale appearance, trying to improve my cleanliness during construction.