Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT annual 1959 Ford Sunliner

gtx6970

Been tinkering with this one off and on  the past few weeks.   It had some pretty good glue marks on the hood and decklid from the custom add ons back in the day but was otherwise completely unpainted and overall pretty nice and complete

I thought I had the interior done the end of last week but had an epic failure with paint ,,so in the pond it went to strip it and start over.

While doing my somewhat regular browsing online for old car pictures  I stumbled on this picture and knew instantly I found my inspiration.

Pinkish red Color is called Geranium with white accents. Interior will be tri-toned pink, white and black .

A1.jpg

43921_Interior_Web.jpg

20170109_123611.jpg

59ford03.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Where did you find the color Bill?

Looks very good.

I used an MCW color on mine, but it was a '64 Merc color called "Bittersweet".

It seems to be just a tad more on the orange side.

MCW does carry Geranium, but I happened to have the Bittersweet on hand.

I'm a huge fan of the pinks & corals from the 50s!

Very iconic colors.

Steve

Where did you find the color Bill?

Looks very good.

I used an MCW color on mine, but it was a '64 Merc color called "Bittersweet".

It seems to be just a tad more on the orange side.

MCW does carry Geranium, but I happened to have the Bittersweet on hand.

I'm a huge fan of the pinks & corals from the 50s!

Very iconic colors.

Steve

Steve, the color is a Rustolem 2x color called gloss Coral. Bought it at home depot. Krylon also has one close called Coral Isle ,,got it at True Value hardware . The Rustolem has just a tad more red to it  of the 2 when I did a spray the spoon test . Even at that to be  honest I think it should have a little more red / orange to it to be a dead on match to Geranium . Maybe because its over a white primer.

No matter,,,,,its painted and in the cabinet to dry now for a few weeks . I'll sand a few tiny little dirt specs out then clear it. The white is a duplicolor white I had here. Its a chrysler color with just a hint of a vanilla tint to it and not a refridgerator looking bright white

I probably should have done a test over a darker primer base,,,mabye a red or even black base to darken it up just a smooch . But overall I am real happy with it and  as long as I have no clear issues when the time comes ,,,,it'll  stay as is .  Regardless I like the color combo more than my 59 Edsel looks  ,,,and I REALLLY like that one a lot.

John.

As much as i would like to add that little detail. 

I doubt I'll attempt it. I thougbt about trying it with a silver sharpie...but me thinks at least somewhere i would screw up and have to start it all over ...again. Not sure im up to that kind of pressure on myself

John.

As much as i would like to add that little detail. 

I doubt I'll attempt it. I thougbt about trying it with a silver sharpie...but me thinks at least somewhere i would screw up and have to start it all over ...again. Not sure im up to that kind of pressure on myself

I've found it's pretty easy to do the piping with some Tamiya tape & a little time.

My hands are not all that steady anymore either.

Masking tape can make them seem much steadier! ;)

Steve

photo DSCN4457_zpszdgdfk7f.jpg

I've found it's pretty easy to do the piping with some Tamiya tape & a little time.

My hands are not all that steady anymore either.

Masking tape can make them seem much steadier! ;)

Steve

photo DSCN4457_zpszdgdfk7f.jpg

Yea, but its well established your not human. . As great as yours looks. If I can make mine it look half this good I will be ecstatic

Thanks guys.

I got the body cleared with Testors wet look clear at the end of the week with no issues or reactions.

Interior is stripped back to bare plastic. I'll put the white primer back on it in the morning. Then next week start over on it

Edited by gtx6970

I love it !!!! Several years ago, I started on one of the Revell Skyiners, getting the body put together where it looks pretty good. I really hate the way that Revell handled how the trunk hinged, so I am going to make up my own hinges. My kit is moulded in a color that is close to Geranium, which by the way, looks great on your build, but not as good in styrene. I plan to paint mine Black, with a red, white and Black interior. Also, I have gotten my hands on an original 'AMT '59 Ford Galaxie Hardtop, which I am going to convert it into a 4 Door Hardtop, like my Uncle had when I was a kid. His car was also Black, with a red, white and Black interior. My uncle is going to get that one.He does not know it yet.