Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Impala

MyBradKeselowski

Just finished up Revell's 66 Impala this evening and figured I would post some pics.  Nothing fancy just OOB build, I did add the steelies/tires from the 69 COPO Nova and just made the antenna as in the down position. (It broke off):lol:   I like the outcome of it and I'm really impressed. It's not a show queen so don't expect it to be. Enjoy looking and thanks for the comments/critisicms.

DSCN0855 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0858 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0862 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0861 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0875 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0856 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0867 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0870 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0873 (640x480).jpg

Really nice, you took some good pictures.  The car turned out looking good well done

Thanks Dan..

Nice looking Impala!

Thanks Dave..

Looks really sharp Steve , great OOB build !  I'm a little curious how you did all the trim and emblems on the body , very clean and straight !

Thanks Bob..  I used a silver sharpie and Apple Barrel acrylic paint in silver.  I have better results using this method than I do with BMF and also with the paint if you make a mistake you can just wipe it off unlike BMF where you can damage the paint.

Nicely done! 

Thanks Don..

Very clean and accurate build. You even managed to get the Air Conditioning Compressor hooked up, and that isn't easy.  

Thanks David..  It was harder to do than you think it took me several tries to get it right.  The key is you don't glue the lines so you work with them to fit in the holes on the back of the compressor.

Nice variation on a 66'!

Thanks Rich..

Steve ,

Nice job. You are the first guy to accent the tail lights on the red Revell  kit. The AMT kit has the bezel showing 3 spaces . Most leave the Revell with one large red lense.

Thanks Bob..   I have seen a lot of builders overlook the taillights on the Revell kit, but I knew to detail these. I know my 66 Impala's really well as I owned one in high school.

I really like the color on this. The white interior goes great with the exterior color. The steelies make the Impala look tough! Like the owner popped the hubcaps off in preparation for some street racing.

Thanks Frank..  My intentions was to paint it Lemonwood Yellow but I only had Apple Barrel Sunset Gold acrylic paint and after I airbrushed it I really liked the color and decided to go with it. I used a pic of a 66 Impala on the internet for the white interior and seen it went good with that color.

Neat, clean paint and foil work!  I like it!

Thanks Bruce..

Thanks everyone for your comments..:rolleyes:

Nice! I miss my '66. Really curious what the exterior color is? ( besides 'yellow' ) Your technique on the emblems is very effective and clean. Well done!

Thanks Rusty.. The color is Sunset Gold its the Apple Barrel acylic paint that you get at walmart in the arts/crafts dept.  Really cheap I think I paid .50 cents they have a lot of beautiful colors to airbrush model cars with.

Well done!

Thanks Bo..

Looks great!

Thanks Chris..

Good looking build!!!  Love the yellow!  

How is the scale on it? I'd like one to display with my 66 Galaxie.

Thanks Andy..  It's 1/25th scale if thats what your meaning..  lol

Appreciate you nice comments..:rolleyes:

I always thought CHevy Impalas had resonators on the end of the tail pipe. Maybe revell copied an Impala with a new exhaust system installed?

The exhaust resonators as well as duel exhaust was an extra cost option in 1966. The only standard duel exhaust was on the 427 cu.in. engine. That said most dealers ordered the duels and the resonatore since most prople wound want them and it added extra profit to the car at sale time. You are most likely correct that the prototype had a replacement exhaust system. I know I know, just another rivet counter thing.

Cool, looks to be a really nice kit. Have any issues you wish to share?

Thanks Andy..    The only issues are the side vent windows and the ac compressor lines.  On the vent windows I set them in place and then used the Testors white glue around the sides and held them down with scotch tape.  On the ac compressor lines don't not glue them there are holes on the back of the compressor for them to go in so by not gluing them in you can move them around to fit in the holes.

Couldn't agree more. Very nice.

Thanks Kevin..

Nice build, love the steelies!

Thanks Andrew..

Nice job on this. Love the stock rim look.

Thanks Dave..

Well done! Nice work on the emblems and body trim.

WF

Thanks Walter..

Thanks again everyone..:rolleyes: