Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beretta Pro-Street Engine related question

Hi guys, 

Couldn't find anything on this on the forums (maybe I just didn't dig deep enough...the kit is old after all) so I figured I could use some experts opinion on the matter.

I just got the rebox for the Revell/Monogram Beretta Pro-Street kit  and I can't figure out what this engine is. I would love to know so I could go get some reference picture and start the build. Only thing I know for sure is that it's a nitrous,V8, small block with both carbs stretching on the side of the engine. I'm thinking LT1 or LT4 but I honestly don't know. Transmission on the other hand is fairly easy to identify!

I'll post pictures once I get back home just in case it help someone identify it.

Anyone got a clue?

Edited by Mjolnir
typo, clarity

Meh, I should have read the whole thing when I found it...I stopped at the picture because it looked like it was the correct engine but the Beretta is missing the 4 barrel stuff on the front so I dismissed it thinking it was a completely different engine. If its the same engine its an all-aluminum-block small block Chevy 350 with Brodix heads. (according to the Rick Dobbertin's J-2000 brochure)

I guess I'll have a lot of plumbing to do on this kit.

Thanks for the input Casey.

It is indeed the kit I have but page 7 seems to have the wrong engine (or I missed the 4 barrel carb on the spruce but i doubt it..). I'll look and confirm this once I get back home. I guess I'm gonna end up having to use various 350 setup picture to get my references and mash'em up together so I end up with a detailed engine that look somewhat close to the real thing.

I'm assuming it's an error on the instructions because there are a couple of misidentified items also. (some instructions # don't match the spruce #)

It is indeed the kit I have but page 7 seems to have the wrong engine (or I missed the 4 barrel carb on the spruce but i doubt it..). I'll look and confirm this once I get back home. I guess I'm gonna end up having to use various 350 setup picture to get my references and mash'em up together so I end up with a detailed engine that look somewhat close to the real thing.

I'm assuming it's an error on the instructions because there are a couple of misidentified items also. (some instructions # don't match the spruce #)

Well, you can always call or email Revell as they have great service.

Who knows, they may send you the spruce having that cool 4 barrel carb, that is if you don't have it in the kit.  I'm very curious if you do.

Well, you can always call or email Revell as they have great service.

Who knows, they may send you the spruce having that cool 4 barrel carb, that is if you don't have it in the kit.  I'm very curious if you do.

Hehe, we'll see if they have great customer support, one of the back wheels rim was busted and I had to put in a request for a new one. Ironically, I initially bought this kit mostly for the cage and wheels.  I'll let you know about the carb.

Meh, I should have read the whole thing when I found it...I stopped at the picture because it looked like it was the correct engine but the Beretta is missing the 4 barrel stuff on the front

I'm pretty sure that front mounted 4-barrel carb and the twin turbos are the parts which were removed on subsequent variations of this chassis-- the Beretta and Corvette. I believe the current Beretta P/S reissue is the same as the earlier version, save for the decals the "blank" tires. It looks like the kit now has 4-into-1 style headers replacing the previous headers which must've connected to the turbos.

Casey is 100% right. 4 barrel Carb and turbos are not in this kit rebox (nor the original one).

I'll try to figure out the plumbing from the J 2000 pictures since it's the closest thing I've seen so far.

Total bummer.  And I was gonna buy this kit for the 4 barrel carb/turbo setup.  Glad you posted, thanks for that.

"Spruce" is a kind of tree.  Image result for spruce tree

"Sprue" is what you guys are talking about.   Image result for sprue

Thought you'd like to know that.    ;)

Another question based on this engine. I'm using it in another project. I do NOT have the rest of the Beretta kit for reference. The instructions provide no help in this case.

So. Note the bottom of the bell housing in the photo. It's flat with an opening for it to mate with something else, likely a cross member. Without having that cross member in hand how should I finish this piece?

Is it supposed to be flat like that? Or shall I add material to round it out? 

Also, it's obviously a Lenco transmission intended for drag racing. Is it applicable for street use or should I just replace the tranny altogether? Any help is appreciated.

There is a matching mounting stud on the floorpan/chassis which you can see in step three of the instructions.

There would normally be an inspection cover at the bottom of a bellhousing (if not one on the front face), so in this case I would add one and call it a day. Something as seen on this Chrysler Slant Six:

75285394-e662-48b2-bdcb-e8f2276160ec.jpg

Very few people ran a Lenco trans on the street, so unless it's an ex-race car or a fastest street car type car, a different trans might be a better option.

Edited by Casey

Also, it's obviously a Lenco transmission intended for drag racing. Is it applicable for street use or should I just replace the tranny altogether? Any help is appreciated.

You can indeed street-drive a Lenco, but it's not the ideal gearbox for a nice quiet drive in the country on Sunday morning...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Very few people ran a Lenco trans on the street, so unless it's an ex-race car or a fastest street car type car, a different trans might be a better option.

You can indeed street-drive a Lenco, but it's not the ideal gearbox for a nice quiet drive in the country on Sunday morning.

Thanks both of you. I have changed out the tranny for something more street worthy. Much appreciated.