Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 Plymouth Coupe: Finished (Photos Restored)


David G.
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thanks Peter.

BTW, if the New Zealander is looking for Old Zealand, he's nearly there; it's farther north near Denmark. :D

David G.

Yes, Zealand is a Danish island. But New Zealand was originally named by the dutch explorer Abel Tasman after Zeeland, a province of Holland. Captain Cook later anglicised it to New Zealand. I wish it was still called Aotearoa, as the Maori people called it for hundreds of years before europeans "discovered" it. Aotearoa means "land of the long white cloud".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Zealand is a Danish island. But New Zealand was originally named by the dutch explorer Abel Tasman after Zeeland, a province of Holland. Captain Cook later anglicised it to New Zealand. I wish it was still called Aotearoa, as the Maori people called it for hundreds of years before europeans "discovered" it. Aotearoa means "land of the long white cloud".

 

Wow, thanks for the clarification. 

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I meant to send out a special thanks to Paul Gardner who was nice enough to send me a replacement steering wheel for this model when mine went missing. I couldn't have finished this without you Paul. Thanks.

By the way, I was cleaning up my paint area after I finished finished the build and something caught my eye. I looked down and on the floor in front of my right foot. Laying there, as if placed intentionally for my discovery, was this-

41_Plymth_12_65.jpg.5a84acb0da2c3a4691a15994e68de54c.jpg

The only thing I can imagine is that somehow it became stuck to the tarp that I cover my paint bench with. The same tarp that I removed and replaced at least ten times during the building of this kit. Then when everything is done and I'm  cleaning up for the final time on this project... Bing!  Like magic it appears.

:D

Gotta Love it!

Thanks again Paul,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photo Restored
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WoW, shiny.. Me likes.. B)

Thanks Janne, I'm glad you like it.

 

Great job on that Plymouth David, and excellent photos too! I just love dem Mopars!

Thank you Nick, I'm very happy with the way the paint turned out on this one.

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • David G. changed the title to 1941 Plymouth Coupe: Finished (Photos Restored)

I've gone in and reedited the old photos to hopefully make them a bit more eye friendly and uploaded them to the topic once again. This should be the last time I have to rescue this topic from the PhotoBucket Monster.

Regards,

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice to see this one again. I always liked how you made such a nice stock looking model and again the front end that seems to be the big stumbling block on this one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, espo said:

Nice to see this one again. I always liked how you made such a nice stock looking model and again the front end that seems to be the big stumbling block on this one. 

Thanks David, knowing your level and quality of work, that means a lot to me.

The way AMT chose to divide the mold does create a challenge and is a prime example of the age-old conflict between designers and engineers.

Every design feature on the car draws the eye to the front end as the main design feature. To the automotive designer, it's like the prow of a ship with angel wings. The kit engineer sees it as a great place to split the mold. :D 

I think leaving the front apron in tact and dividing the mold by casting the front fenders separately would have been a better choice. But I'm a funeral director not a model kit engineer.

Thanks again,

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Nice pics Dave.  Just bought this kit.  It has a nice looking front grille.  Can't remember what automaker said, "when you see our cars coming down the street you'll know who made it by the front grille."  Big grilles and Big fins were the thing back in the day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Zippi said:

Nice pics Dave.  Just bought this kit.  It has a nice looking front grille.  Can't remember what automaker said, "when you see our cars coming down the street you'll know who made it by the front grille."  Big grilles and Big fins were the thing back in the day. 

Thank you Bob. Just a head's up, this kit did  give me a little trouble when it came to fitting the body and chassis together. As I remember, I could get either the front or rear of the body to settle completely over the chassis but not both at the same time. I chose the front and left the rear of the body up off the chassis by about 2mm. I never did figure out why it wouldn't sit all the way down, maybe you'll have better luck with that.  I also had to do a bit of body work to blend the front panel into the body. Other than those two points, it's a great kit and I had a lot of fun building it.

You may have seen it already but here is a link to the WIP I posted for this model. It may come in handy when the time comes to build yours.

I do remember the Edsel slogan, "The thrill starts with the grille. And never seems to end." :D 

1878072872_EdselAd.jpg.725fe11983172235f6e30f91d92bfd14.jpg

 

18 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

What a beautiful, cleanly built car.

Your paint and foil work are immaculate.

Yes, as someone here said earlier, WE NEED MORE STOCKERS.

Thank you David, it's kind of you to take the time to say so.

I build stock whenever I can, just the way God and Detroit meant them. :D

David G.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I have often wondered how that front end would look if the grille was turned down-side-up.🤔

Which one, the Edsel or the Plymouth?

18 hours ago, Zippi said:

Whenever I get around to building mine it will be stock.

I look forward to seeing it Bob.

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, 1959scudetto said:

Very nice build, David - I can't remember if I ever saw this model built stock.

Thank you Helmut. This car has such a beautiful design that I thought it best to build it stock.

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, David G. said:

Which one, the Edsel or the Plymouth?

I look forward to seeing it Bob.

David G.

My intended grille inversion would be on the Plymouth. The Edsel's grille was and still is IMO butt ugly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, misterNNL said:

My intended grille inversion would be on the Plymouth. The Edsel's grille was and still is IMO butt ugly.

That would be an interesting project Tom.

Well, I've always liked Edsels, I even built one.

58_Edsel_69.jpg.3b9a064947d6c1c6931e9a04a8720167.jpg

 

Until recently, I had no idea how much of a hot-button topic this car could be with some folks.

During the time I was building the one pictured above, I was chatting with one of the associates at my LHS and and mentioned what I was working on. Another customer overheard the conversation and glared at me as he growled "Why in God's name would you do that?!"  This man seemed really upset, like he wanted to punch me or something.

"I'm sorry....?" I asked in puzzlement.

"Build one of those... those things?!"

"Um, it's just a model kit." I answered.

The man appeared to be so upset that one would think Edsel Ford had personally beat up and robbed his grandmother or something. He harrumphed and stomped away leaving the sales associate and me thoroughly puzzled.

I'm not saying I read your response in that way Tom, it's just the firmness of your opinion that reminded me of the event.

4 hours ago, Dominik said:

What Steve said. Exactly.

Thank you Dominik.

Regards,

David G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, David G. said:

That would be an interesting project Tom.

Well, I've always liked Edsels, I even built one.

58_Edsel_69.jpg.3b9a064947d6c1c6931e9a04a8720167.jpg

 

Until recently, I had no idea how much of a hot-button topic this car could be with some folks.

During the time I was building the one pictured above, I was chatting with one of the associates at my LHS and and mentioned what I was working on. Another customer overheard the conversation and glared at me as he growled "Why in God's name would you do that?!"  This man seemed really upset, like he wanted to punch me or something.

"I'm sorry....?" I asked in puzzlement.

"Build one of those... those things?!"

"Um, it's just a model kit." I answered.

The man appeared to be so upset that one would think Edsel Ford had personally beat up and robbed his grandmother or something. He harrumphed and stomped away leaving the sales associate and me thoroughly puzzled.

I'm not saying I read your response in that way Tom, it's just the firmness of your opinion that reminded me of the event.

Thank you Dominik.

Regards,

David G.

Actually one of the girls in my class in high school drove a  brand new '59 Edsel to school some times and it was maybe too different for my blue bowtie tastes. Her dad worked for an area Ford dealer. In the this period only the "rich" kids ever drove to school. We all rode the school bus. Those years I personality the Chevy designs. No glaring or malicious intent in my statement was intended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...