Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 vette

Plastic_Passion

So I've been throwing this vette together. It's all box stock. Just a little something to do in between bouncing ideas around for my other in process work. I didn't go all out on this mainly because I did the baldwin motion vette and the fitment wasn't great. I do like the kit overall tho. Didn't like the wheels it came with so I'm settling on a set of craggar ss wheels. Not a huge fan of the rubber either but eh we'll see. Made the burnt copper with red pearl and gloss black. Clearcoat with future and motor is chevy engine red. Need to finish the engine stand too...

Edited by Plastic_Passion

It seems to. My baldwin vette sits a little funny. Could just be my inexperience when I was younger. I didn't really take my time with the 69. That uses pretty much the same parts. I've stripped the 69 to redo it but am missing some things from it going here and there I built it in probably 99 or so. Wish I had all my parts and models from when I was younger.

My Spidey senses told me there was a new C3 Corvette thread worth checking out, and I'm glad I paid attention.  Lotsa nice work going on here, so I'll be following along.  

Is that your 1:1 in your avatar?

thanks! I wish that was my 1:1 but unfortunately it isn't. It was a pic I had saved while searched for ideas about redoing the 69. You guys are making me feel like I should take some more time on this instead of doing the box stock route.

thanks! I wish that was my 1:1 but unfortunately it isn't. It was a pic I had saved while searched for ideas about redoing the 69. You guys are making me feel like I should take some more time on this instead of doing the box stock route.

Nothing wrong with box stock, it's just that these cars can be nicely (and accurately) detailed without a ton of work.  For instance, you might consider drilling out the gauges on the dash and replacing them with decal gauges from behind. Also, most people don't replicate the chassis and suspension correctly, but it's not difficult if you have the right reference materials.

That's just me, though.  I'm passionate about C3s, having owned an '80 for 20 years.  You've chosen a great color, and the engine looks great, so finish the rest as you see fit.  Based on what you've done so far, I'm sure it'll turn out great.   

Nothing wrong with box stock, it's just that these cars can be nicely (and accurately) detailed without a ton of work.  For instance, you might consider drilling out the gauges on the dash and replacing them with decal gauges from behind. Also, most people don't replicate the chassis and suspension correctly, but it's not difficult if you have the right reference materials.

That's just me, though.  I'm passionate about C3s, having owned an '80 for 20 years.  You've chosen a great color, and the engine looks great, so finish the rest as you see fit.  Based on what you've done so far, I'm sure it'll turn out great.   

yeah my buddy owns a 77 he's trying to restore. I do love the c3 myself as well. It's funny you mention the chasis because I was going to paint the floor pan body colored and the frame black but found out that's not the way these rolled off the line. They're all black underneath so I had to repaint the chasis to be more accurate. I'm going to put a little more into this than I originally thought for sure. Great idea on the gauges too. Thanks for the tips.

yeah my buddy owns a 77 he's trying to restore. I do love the c3 myself as well. It's funny you mention the chasis because I was going to paint the floor pan body colored and the frame black but found out that's not the way these rolled off the line. They're all black underneath so I had to repaint the chasis to be more accurate. I'm going to put a little more into this than I originally thought for sure. Great idea on the gauges too. Thanks for the tips.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the floor pans were primer gray (some possibly in natural fiberglass) but then I've done more research on C2s than C3s.

Also, as to the fit and difficulty of assembly of this kit: I built one a while ago and had some frustrations in the front inner fenders area. I forget whether I ended up gluing those into the body and not onto the chassis, or I trimmed some plastic off the edges of them, but I did solve the problem one way or another and then final assembly went fine. I had a similar issue more recently with their '67 Corvette kit.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the floor pans were primer gray (some possibly in natural fiberglass) but then I've done more research on C2s than C3s.

Also, as to the fit and difficulty of assembly of this kit: I built one a while ago and had some frustrations in the front inner fenders area. I forget whether I ended up gluing those into the body and not onto the chassis, or I trimmed some plastic off the edges of them, but I did solve the problem one way or another and then final assembly went fine. I had a similar issue more recently with their '67 Corvette kit.

yeah I thougt it was odd and quite frankly boring but that's how all the late 60's I've seen are. I go on ebay a lot to get references for my builds and make sure I check out lots of cars for comparison. All were semi gloss or matte black. My baldwin 69 sat really weird even without the front fenders in it...

yeah I thougt it was odd and quite frankly boring but that's how all the late 60's I've seen are. I go on ebay a lot to get references for my builds and make sure I check out lots of cars for comparison. All were semi gloss or matte black. My baldwin 69 sat really weird even without the front fenders in it...

From what I've been able to dig up, the frame rails were semigloss black (often called chassis black) and as Snake45 mentioned, the area under the seats was raw fiberglass.  You may also want to look up a restoration done with Eastwood materials for ideas on the spare tire carrier, suspension and detail painting.  

HTH! 

72VI.JPG

Ok great thanks guys! Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough at the bottom of the car. Then again these have been around who knows what people have done to the cars I was looking at. I know most cars are the primered over spray style undercarriage that snake had mentioned, usually uni body cars big time...