Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone cast or know a source for an AMC 6 cylinder engine?

AMC bought the tooling for their V6 from Buick, should be very close externally, so a Buick with a V6 should work just as well.

While Jesse didn't specifically say, when most people refer to an "AMC 6 cylinder", it's understood to be the AMC-designed straight 6 family of engines that debuted in the mid-sixties, and continued in production for certain Jeeps until about 10 years ago, I believe.  This is an inline (straight) 6 design, totally different than the Buick V6.

Kaiser-Jeep did buy the rights to the Buick V6, but when AMC bought the Jeep brand, they switched over to the AMC I-6.  In fact, I'm not sure if AMC actually bought the rights to the Buick V6.  Kaiser Corporation may have retained ownership after they spun Jeep off to AMC.

Since Jesse stated that he wants to build a 6 cylinder Gremlin, were definitely talking about the AMC I-6.  I agree that the recently reissued MPC Pacer is probably the best choice.  The AMT Pacer wagon also has an I-6 (also just reissued), but it doesn't seem quite as nice.

Edited by Robberbaron

i cast the 252/258 that goes in my postal jeep. 

Jeff,

How much for just the engine? I have a couple of older Jeeps that need just the engine and I don't want to buy Pacer kits for the engines.

Also, do you have updates for the website? I recall you having some other new resin pieces but your website doesn't show them.

Kaiser-Jeep did buy the rights to the Buick V6, but when AMC bought the Jeep brand, they switched over to the AMC I-6.  In fact, I'm not sure if AMC actually bought the rights to the Buick V6.  Kaiser Corporation may have retained ownership after they spun Jeep off to AMC.

AMC completed the Jeep deal in mid-1970; they took a year or so to convert everything away from the engines Kaiser had been using.  Some Wagoneers (and probably Gladiator pickups also) had already been built with AMC engines, so that one would have been done first.  The CJ was probably next to be switched over.  The Jeepster (Commando) seems to have been last.  '71 still had the V6 engine, '72 got the restyled front end (lengthened a couple of inches if I remember right) so the AMC engines would fit.  The MPC '72 kit still had the V6 so it is incorrect in that regard. 

The postal Jeeps got converted towards the end too.  I'm pretty sure the '71 version still had the Chevy II four cylinder engine.  Either AMC got a bunch of those engines in the deal and used them up, or maybe the contract required that engine and couldn't be changed.  Those early postal Jeeps also had a Powerglide transmission with a small torque converter. 

The JoHan Rambler Americans had a usable straight 6, at least up through the '66 annual. (That kit would eventually become the V8 '69 Scrambler.)

I'll check again, but the Jo-Han engine is on the small side and has an axle hole through the block.  Too, I'm pretty certain that engine originated with the '63 American, so it would be the earlier six.  The later six came in during '64.  Excellent engine, I put over 200,000 miles on one...still ran great when the body fell apart around it.  AMC still used the flathead (!) version of the older six through '65, but I think they had gone completely over to the later engine for '66. 

Kaiser got saddled with the problem laden Ralphie V/6 . Before reliability problems destroyed Jeep creditably , problems were sorted out and fixed . As the word got out these "wonder Engines" were sourced from , AMC decided to run and hide . This is during the Years the junkie could not unload (sell anything) with Skylark or Special due to the V/6 . AMC sold all and the rights handed down from Kaiser as Kaiser had from GM . Later sold to BMC and struggled there from reputation even though the  problems were solved . When Range Rover re-grouped , alas the V/6 was

chosen . Later when FoMoCo entered the picture the Corp was horrified to discover this . Immediate plans and execution to dump this followed . GM bought it all back .. for CHEAP . The Bean counters had at it again . Problematic once again .. Historically , I'm making a V/6 Jeep .. Thanx .. 

unfortunately paul from smbc was my web master.. i havent been able to get my site updated in over a year

If you guys have the passwords you need, I know a fellow who might be able to help you out- fellow modeler (although planes and armour, mostly,) but a nice guy. He does as much as Paul allows him to with the store website (which is about fifteen years out of date and Paul WILL NOT bring it to 2010,) but he gets the job done.

If you want to get in touch with him, I can arrange it.

Charlie Larkin