Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Jeep Rubicon (UPDATE: 1-20-17 - Body/Chassis Weathering complete)

I decided to start on this one after I finished my COPO Nova build. I was looking around online and found some inspirational pics of MOPAR's new prototype. The 2 door is just a drawing, but that is what I'm aiming for.

The plans are to build it box stock, but paint it like the picture shown, and add a Jerry Can, and a winch cable/hook. Paint will be Tamiya TS46 Light Sand.

All of these pics were after the first day of the build. I managed to get all of the panel lines scribed, mold lines removed, body primed, all of my black parts airbrushed, winch detailed, and the rolling chassis detailed

20170106_210051.jpg.

20170111_164626.jpg

20170111_164637.jpg

20170111_164538.jpg

20170111_213854.jpg

20170111_213757.jpg

TS46.JPG

sand-trooper.jpg

Jeep-Wrangler-Sand-Trooper-II-e1364078470775.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03

Well, I did manage to get a little bit done over the long weekend...well the 1 day that I had off anyway. I got my body painted, got the grille sprayed matte black, my wheels and everything else painted black that needed to be, wheels and tires weathered. Of course I still have to paint the diamond plate on the back black, and more detailing on the body.

I included a little teaser mock up.

20170115_193309.jpg

20170115_193155.jpg

20170115_193318.jpg

20170115_193131.jpg

20170116_205252.jpg

20170116_205230.jpg

20170116_204846.jpg

20170116_204905.jpg

And a little teaser.

20170116_223420.jpg

20170116_223406.jpg

Nice weathering so far – very convincing!

I like the color too – didn’t think that I would, but it work real well on a modified Jeep

Thanks Steve! This is my first weathering job...Trying to figure out the best way to add some dirt/mud to the body and fender flares.

Thanks on the color...it looks amazing in person. It sprayed and laid down flawless, with a slight sheen just like it should be to be a military like color.

Trying to figure out the best way to add some dirt/mud to the body and fender flares.

Whatever you did for the wheels, it looks great.  There's lots of good tutorials and write ups on how to weather on this site.  Depending on how agressive you want to be with the mud, you could pick up an old brush and some acrylic paint and flick/fling it at the wheel wells/rockers to simulate teh mud being thrown off of the wheels.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but its been an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for a future build.

Whatever you did for the wheels, it looks great.  There's lots of good tutorials and write ups on how to weather on this site.  Depending on how agressive you want to be with the mud, you could pick up an old brush and some acrylic paint and flick/fling it at the wheel wells/rockers to simulate teh mud being thrown off of the wheels.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but its been an idea I've had bouncing around in my head for a future build

Thanks man. I just dry brushed the rims with some Tamiya Acrylic Gunmetal, and then used the Tamiya Weathering kit for the tires.  The paint trick on the brush may be the ticket. I'll have to give that a go...I'll try it on a scrapped body first to see what it looks like, lol.

Edited by lghtngyello03

Looking good. I really like this kit, nice and easy and very well detailed. I actually like that colour on yours too. 

Weathering on the wheels looks good as well. You could also try, and I havent, just a thought I have to try on a 4x4 at some point, is to take a round sponge, put it in a drill/dremel and use it to "fling" some acrylics at the body. Place the sponge inside the wheel well so it would be like its coming off the tires. The dollar stores here in Canada carry some cheap acrylic craft paints for painting wooden crafts they sell and I was thinking of using those on mine when I get around to it. 

Good luck and watching for more.

David

Looking good. I really like this kit, nice and easy and very well detailed. I actually like that colour on yours too. 

Weathering on the wheels looks good as well. You could also try, and I havent, just a thought I have to try on a 4x4 at some point, is to take a round sponge, put it in a drill/dremel and use it to "fling" some acrylics at the body. Place the sponge inside the wheel well so it would be like its coming off the tires. The dollar stores here in Canada carry some cheap acrylic craft paints for painting wooden crafts they sell and I was thinking of using those on mine when I get around to it. 

Good luck and watching for more.

David

Awesome Suggestion! Thank you!

Looking good so far. I'm considering converting one of these into the 4 door Unlimited. 

Thanks Jay. That would be a sick conversion, and I would love to see it, as the Sand Trooper is supposed to be a 4 door.

I like this model, Man....The detail is quite good....I don't even LIKE jeeps, but this one looks good.....Nice work....

Thank you very much JT.  I'm right there with  you, I don't even like jeeps either, just saw the potential in this kit.

I didn't have much time at all last night at the bench due to having to run some errands yesterday afternoon, then come home and cook/clean. But I did manage to get the rear diamond plate sprayed in Tamiya Semi Gloss Black, and I installed the radiator which was dry brushed to see the detail through the grille, all of the fender flares, door handles, hood latches, gas cap, and rocker panel diamond plate. I also wanted to see what it'd look like so I did the panel lines on the drivers side in some Tamiya Brown Panel Line Accent, which looks awesome on that flat tan.

I also managed to get my entire rolling chassis weathered, for the first step anyway. I will be trying my hand at a few things that I have saw online with my airbrush if they work well on a scrap body.

I have to say, this is my first attempt at weathering, and I really enjoy the process so far. It's cool to see something that was once new and shiny turn into a used/grungy abused object.

Sorry for the couple of blurry pics, it was past time to go to bed for the 3:30am wake up call.

20170117_230855.jpg

20170117_230900.jpg

20170117_230928.jpg

20170117_230918.jpg

20170117_230907.jpg

20170118_041332.jpg

20170118_041338.jpg

20170117_230653.jpg

20170117_230825.jpg

20170117_230837.jpg

Edited by lghtngyello03