Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelling Oddities/Mistakes

Revell's '69 COPO Nova. There was no '69 COPO Nova.

The MPC '66 and '67 Corvettes had big-block hoods, but small-block engines.

The AMT '66 Corvette Coupe kit had an (optional) big block engine, but no big block hood for it. It also had no air cleaner (for the 427), because it wouldn't have fit under the regular small-block hood.

How many of you all bought the AMT 65 Chevelle wagon kits that had the blue car on the box cover and opened it to find a 63 Impala HT inside...???  I think it was the 90s reissue...?   I opened a sealed kit of the Revell Unimog snowplow truck to find no wheels or tires in the kit...too bad I did not open it till it was out of production.

How many of you all bought the AMT 65 Chevelle wagon kits that had the blue car on the box cover and opened it to find a 63 Impala HT inside...???  I think it was the 90s reissue...?   I opened a sealed kit of the Revell Unimog snowplow truck to find no wheels or tires in the kit...too bad I did not open it till it was out of production.

GOLDEN RULE! always open a new kit to check for parts/short shot mouldings etc.

I have a few of the 2 blue built box art issue of the AMT 65 Chevelle Malibu wagon

I must have gotten lucky

All of mine were complete Wagons

2 have donated their roof & interior sections for Tempest GTO Wagons

65 is well underway just needs 65 GTO interior cut and modified

64 is in Preliminary stages

Wagon 4dr Door lines drawn on GTO body

Don't remember Plymouth making a Duster with a Dodge grille.  It's hard to see on the box top, but it does say Dodge.

Kit OOps 002.JPG

this one happens in 1:1 as well. Worked in the service department of a plymouth dealer in the mid 80s. Brand new Plymouth Horizons would come in sporting Dodge Omni grilles and badging. We stocked the parts to make it right as it happened so frequently. Had fun making "Dog" nameplates out of the leftovers and tagging unsuspecting beaters driven by our techs.?

Also recieved a new car once with no valve stem...not even a hole for one in the wheel. Thought it was an incredible joke until i worked for a company supplying oem tires and wheels. Their automated mounting equipment inflates the tire through the bead so it made sense then.?

Edited by Flynlo

Related image

Image result for Chrysler Imperial

On the real car the letters are recessed, on the model raised.

Ok, so what are we missing here ?

Maybe it would be helpful to those of us not in the know on some of these less obvious kits to include an explanation.;)

What is the correct spelling of the Present Participle of 'to rally'?

Edited by Junkman

Not a mistake, just an oddity: The original annual MPC '66 Corvettes were molded in gray, not white. At least the four I have personal knowledge of are, all from different parts of the country (so presumably not all from one odd production lot). I've never seen another MPC or AMT annual of that era that wasn't molded in white. (There might have been some colored JoHan annuals around then, but every one of those I ever bought or saw was also white.)