Model Cars Magazine Forum

If "They" Outlawed the Manufacture and Sale of Model Kits Tomorrow...

If I could build 1 a month I could build till I'm 120 or so...   If I build at my current rate I could build till I am about 4000 :D

So the answer is yes...... I could build the rest of my life...   and I probably have enough glue and paint also if it doesn't go bad......might need some more primer though :lol:

I remember when VH1 did the documentary on the dying Warren Zevon, at one point he quoted some old philosopher who said, "When we buy books, we think we are buying the time to read them." I believe the same is true of us and our kits. :wacko:

...but not their possession (so you could keep what you had, you just couldn't get any more), could you keep building for the rest of your life?

I'm pretty sure I could, assuming that things like paints, glues, etc. would still be available.

(And, to paraphrase one of my alltime favorite bumper stickers: WHEN MODEL KITS ARE OUTLAWED, I'LL BE AN OUTLAW.)

The short answer: Yes

I got a stash of about 500 ubuilt kits and have in the last ten years or so built about 50 (I think). If I'm lucky I will be able to build models for another 40-50 years but realisticly I will probably be able to build for another 25-30 years. At a rate of 5ish models a year I can produce another 250 models at best or maybe just a 100-150 more at least. So even in the most possitive scenario I will only build about half my stash.

Yes.  In fact I could probably just build resin for the rest of my life!

But then, who said we had to build them all?  I have between kits, resin and rebuildable models bought to restore, maybe 2000 pieces. I don't intend to even try to build them all. That kind of pressure is called "work".  I  enjoy buying and owning them.  I like spending an evening downstairs in the model vault just going through kit boxes and seeing what I hadn't discovered before.  It's just plain enjoyable.

And as far as needing new kits....  I was excited to get the new Ford Bronco. I even got the Olsen Brothers  resin half cab for it.  But what am I starting next? The old Dodge D-50 mini pickup!

I have over 1000, so I am good for a couple of lifetimes. I also have plenty of paint and supplies, so as long as they do not deteriorate, I am good. I can always buy glue and putty, but if Bare Metal foil went out of business, I would have to change my building style, or build imported and late model cars with no chrome trim.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

...but if Bare Metal foil went out of business, I would have to change my building style, or build imported and late model cars with no chrome trim.

B)

Ron, life without BMF is possible. I get along just fine without it, using kitchen foil, Silver Sharpies, and Testor Chrome Silver, both brushed and airbrushed. B)

Now, if they discontinue Silver Sharpies, I'm in trouble. That's why I buy a couple new ones at Walmart every so often whether I "need" them or not. I know they will keep for at least four to six years if unopened. I've become so dependent on them that I can at least relate to your feelings for BMF.

I didn't think life after Pactra Flat Aluminum was possible. It is, but just barely, and it's not nearly as good. There are still days I miss that wonderful stuff so much I could cry. :(

...but not their possession (so you could keep what you had, you just couldn't get any more), could you keep building for the rest of your life?

I'm pretty sure I could, assuming that things like paints, glues, etc. would still be available.

(And, to paraphrase one of my alltime favorite bumper stickers: WHEN MODEL KITS ARE OUTLAWED, I'LL BE AN OUTLAW.)

Well, at 62 and my current completion rate of about 1 or 2 per year, I figure I am good until I'm about 212 years old.......................AND to quote one of MY favorite bumper stickers/slogans........."FROM MY COLD, DEAD, HANDS"

Edited by redneckrigger