Model Cars Magazine Forum

If "They" Outlawed the Manufacture and Sale of Model Kits Tomorrow...

...but not their possession (so you could keep what you had, you just couldn't get any more), could you keep building for the rest of your life?

I'm pretty sure I could, assuming that things like paints, glues, etc. would still be available.

(And, to paraphrase one of my alltime favorite bumper stickers: WHEN MODEL KITS ARE OUTLAWED, I'LL BE AN OUTLAW.)

I'll need to live to at least 100 to build every idea that's in my head already (even if I actually begin building fairly regularly and intensely once I finally retire) many of which are in progress, and most of which I already have plenty of kits to pick and bash from.

So to answer your question "could you keep building for the rest of your life?"...that would be an unqualified YES.   :D

Lets see. my stash is probably knocking on the door of somewhere near 8-900 kits range  ( unbuilts and builders combined )  If I average figuring at the max  a full dozen a year ( not likely )  . Im 57 and provided I live to an even 100 ( again ,,,not likely )  

Provided paints and glue supply's were still avail.

And I don't sell or part with a single one, I just did the math,,,,,I wouldn't get thru half of them . So yes, I'll be just fine.

But, My stash is about to get slimmed down to a much more realistic count  over the next few months

Edited by gtx6970

Lets see. my stash is probably knocking on the door of somewhere near 8-900 kits range  ( unbuilts and builders combined )  If I average figuring at the max  a full dozen a year ( not likely )  . Im 57 and provided I live to an even 100 ( again ,,,not likely )  

Provided paints and glue supply's were still avail.

And I don't sell or part with a single one, I just did the math,,,,,I wouldn't get thru half of them . So yes, I'll be just fine.

But, My stash is about to get slimmed down to a much more realistic count  over the next few months

Bill...you could always just send them to me if they get in the way there....:lol:

the only kit in my stash is unopened first issue of the Enterprise 1701-C. And i have two cars coming in a trade. They will be built  but not the Enterprise 1701-C So I don't have a stash otherwise, I only get one or two kits a month and they get built. So i guess I'd have to get kits from the underground market. I do however have over 300 cars and trucks on shelves built!

I can honestly say that with all the car kits I have (and I have a LOT of esoteric stuff), I'll never live long enough to see all of them built. As Steve mentioned, sometimes I'll buy a kit because I happen to like that particular vehicle-----not always with the intention of building it right then and there. I'll probably someday thin out the collection quite a bit. 

Time marches on and since I never married or had any kids, I don't know who I'd pass all these models on to. Maybe a couple nephews I have, but I don't think they're into models at this point, and don't know if they'll ever be. So to answer the question, yes------if model kits were to cease production tomorrow, I could carry on for an untold amount of years building what I have.

Another big question would be this however----------what about all the ancillary things that go along with building?? Paints, tools supplies, detailing parts? Hmmm...........that would be a toughie as that can bring things to a screeching halt without those!

Edited by MrObsessive

I think most of the "other supply's" such as paint would still be out there as would xecto knives , self healing pads vices ect. maybe even some glues that could work with the plastic kit. The idea of models no longer being produced wouldn't effect as many people. As the die cast market would still be popping out cars and trucks (i.E. Jadea toys M2 machines ect.)

Edited by ranma