Model Cars Magazine Forum

Silly warning labels

bobthehobbyguy

One of my favorites is the #1 step of any new small appliance or anything else that comes in a box.  #1. Open box.  Well duh, the instructions are inside the box, how am I supposed to know to open the box?

My second favorite is the list of side-effects on medicines: "May cause diarrhea.  May cause constipation" or the ever popular "May cause drowsiness" on a box of sleeping aides.

Edited by TarheelRick

I don't know if it's still there but years ago while vacationing in Florida, there is a small pond as you come out from The Pier in St Pete.  Posted in several places was a sign stating boldly "Do Not Taunt The Alligators".  Even before the Animal Planet channel, i would think this would be common sense but I'm sure someone got too close. I wish i could find my picture of that sign

I don't know if it's still there but years ago while vacationing in Florida, there is a small pond as you come out from The Pier in St Pete.  Posted in several places was a sign stating boldly "Do Not Taunt The Alligators".  Even before the Animal Planet channel, i would think this would be common sense but I'm sure someone got too close. I wish i could find my picture of that sign

Some guy did taunt an alligator there.  After that, everyone called him "Lefty"...

Frogs Leap happens to be one of our favorite wineries. On the label on the back of the bottle with all the required warnings required by every governing body you can think of, the  story goes that during the original  labeling application the owners were so frustrated if them they put on their label "Open other end". Next time you see one of their bottles check out the label, and if you like a KILLER Zinfandel  than buy it and find out for your self.   

One that sticks in my mind...not a warning label, but....my folks were long time loyal Sears customers, and in the 80s there was a Sears anniversary token they received (googled it--1986 Centennial Anniversary token)---looks like a gold coin--and around the edge it said 'contains authentic material'...what a generic statement, stuck with me the last 30 years.

let's just remove the warning labels and the problem will sort itself out eventually... as long as no one is allowed to sue for misuse of product.

Yup. It's called "natural selection" or "thinning the herd." :lol:

About 1982 Ruger started stamping a long warning on the barrels of all their firearms, warning the user to read the instruction manual, and if you didn't have a manual, where/how to get one, and so forth. I'll never forget the American Rifleman's review of Ruger's then-new Mark II .22 pistol: "And when you get tired of shooting it, you can read it." :lol: