Model Cars Magazine Forum

cast metal effect

... spray from further away so the paint is drying as it hits the plastic, lots of dust coats instead of going for a smooth finish...

Exactly. You're creating "orange-peel" intentionally...a slightly pebbly texture on the surface of the paint.

You have to experiment to get the right look though. Different paints will flow out differently, and the texture itself doesn't need to be coarse at all.

To look right in 1/25 scale, you only need a very slight surface roughness, with the gloss of the paint still visible.

You can use Testors metalizers to get a similar effect for bare cast metal on wheel centers, aluminum rear-end housings, etc.

Yeah, for engine blocks/heads I usually lay on a pebbly coat of primer, and then a pebbly coat of color. You don't want a "wet" coat of color or it will flow and ruin the desired effect.

Remember that you DON'T want this effect on the oil pan or front cover, which are usually very smooth.

Yeah, for engine blocks/heads I usually lay on a pebbly coat of primer, and then a pebbly coat of color. You don't want a "wet" coat of color or it will flow and ruin the desired effect.

Remember that you DON'T want this effect on the oil pan or front cover, which are usually very smooth.

Excellent points, both.

And the reason the oil pan is smooth on many older engines is because it's stamped sheet-metal, as is the timing cover, sometimes...though it's sometimes die-cast, which is also smooth.

Contemporary engines, however, very often have cast oil pans and timing covers, with a very fine or no texture.

When in doubt, Google images of the real engine you want to represent, or ask here. 

Not sure how much of a texture you want. I have used Krylon Stone paint, they come in coarse and fine, get the fine the coarse won't work. I light coat will give some texture ( a little heavier coat gives more texture), then follow up with your choice of paint. I have also used this to replicate the wrinkle black finish on Hemi valve covers, texture on interior parts and spray on bed liner on trucks.

Edited by Mike Chernecki