Model Cars Magazine Forum

Were you ever been treated badly because you are a man? Divorce, etc

robertburns

When I was going through my divorce, the soon to be ex wanted over half my salary for spousal support and child support. She was unemployed ( by choice ) at the time. The judge that granted it, commented that she was too busy raising my daughter to get a job, and that I needed to get a second job to make sure I can fulfill the support order. 

Yes, I know my attorney wasn't so good, but even so, that would never happen if it were reversed. I did get the house and 2 cars though. 

Just because I'm an old white guy doesn't mean I don't have the right to notice bias in my personal life. 

Edited by Draggon

Can't say I've ever felt oppressed or singled out just for being a guy. Let's be honest, like many of you, as a white male, I've got things pretty easy compared to others.

Well, twice I've failed to get a nice job simply and solely because I was a white male, and was told that flat-out and straight-up by the HR director. (Have no idea if I ever failed to get a job for that reason and wasn't told it.)

They actually do kind of run the world. President Trump is a prime example of the fool who discriminates on the basis of skin colour and/or gender.

Funny how often we hear things like this, isn't it? And yet no one ever seems to come up with any actual evidence of such discrimination. :rolleyes:

Funny how often we hear things like this, isn't it? And yet no one ever seems to come up with any actual evidence of such discrimination. :rolleyes:

Funny how often people don't think being sued for racial discrimination because he would not rent apartments to people of color isn't evidence of his true feelings.

Funny how often people don't think being sued for racial discrimination because he would not rent apartments to people of color isn't evidence of his true feelings.

And funny how being sued for something doesn't automatically make the allegations absolutely true, no matter WHAT the legal outcome.

In case you've never heard, some INNOCENT people HAVE BEEN TRIED, FOUND GUILTY, and EXECUTED for MURDER.

Nuisence lawsuits with no basis in fact are constantly filed in this country, and the "race card" is frequently played when it has no real bearing on anything.

While discrimination is very real, and morally wrong, it is also NOT present every time somebody with hurt feelings starts screaming about it.

Quoting Trump... ""We along with many, many other companies throughout the country, it was a federal lawsuit, were sued. We settled the suit with zero—with no admission of guilt. It was very easy to do."

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Which reminds me...an old white male friend of mine who was on the short-list for a fighter-pilot's slot with the reserves back in about 1985 or so, was BUMPED in favor of a black applicant. My friend was easily the most qualified of the people he was in line with, having been flying a variety of aircraft since his 16th birthday, and was at the time working on a degree in aerospace engineering. His father, an airline captain, had been a B-47 pilot in the USAF, flying with nuclear weapons. My friend also had endorsements from prominent state political figures at the time.

The black applicant who was chosen had never flown anything and had a liberal arts degree.

Was there a racial quota system operating? Was it "reverse discrimination"? I guess we'll never know. My friend didn't SUE the Air Force.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

And funny how being sued for something doesn't automatically make the allegations absolutely true, no matter WHAT the legal outcome.

In case you've never heard, some INNOCENT people HAVE BEEN TRIED, FOUND GUILTY, and EXECUTED for MURDER.

Nuisence lawsuits with no basis in fact are constantly filed in this country, and the "race card" is frequently played when it has no real bearing on anything.

While discrimination is very real, and morally wrong, it is also NOT present every time somebody with hurt feelings starts screaming about it.

Quoting Trump... ""We along with many, many other companies throughout the country, it was a federal lawsuit, were sued. We settled the suit with zero—with no admission of guilt. It was very easy to do."

The Trump lawsuit was not part of a larger lawsuit, it was against Trump, his dad and their company.  He tried countersuing but the courts dismissed the case, they fought it for 2 years with no success and finally capitulated and agreed to do remedial things that met the approval of the justice department who then dropped the lawsuit.  But I will let people "show some maturity and a little deeper investigation" and google Trump lawsuit for racial discrimination, spend the rest of the day reading some factual information on this subject and make up their own mind.

The Trump lawsuit was not part of a larger lawsuit, it was against Trump, his dad and their company.  He tried countersuing but the courts dismissed the case, they fought it for 2 years with no success and finally capitulated and agreed to do remedial things that met the approval of the justice department who then dropped the lawsuit.  But I will let people "show some maturity and a little deeper investigation" and google Trump lawsuit for racial discrimination, spend the rest of the day reading some factual information on this subject and make up their own mind.

Gee...it must have been a truly egregious, blatant and heinous bit of discrimination if the JD "dropped the lawsuit" after the Trump organization did some "remedial things". (WARNING:SARCASM)

The folks at Justice can be a tough crowd. ;)

Mr. Trump's posture on "discrimination" throughout the election focused on ILLEGAL immigrants, which has much more to do with Rule of Law than petty racial discrimination, but of course, it was spun by the liberal media into verging on hate-crime.

And as far as " But I will let people "show some maturity and a little deeper investigation" and google Trump lawsuit for racial discrimination, spend the rest of the day reading some factual information on this subject and make up their own mind."...

I'd already done that prior to making my first statement regarding Trump. I've read the allegations, and the OUTCOMES of the suits. The cases either fizzled or were settled by consent order, with only small token monetary settlements to the plaintiffs. Fancy that.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

President Trump is a prime example of the fool who discriminates on the basis of skin colour and/or gender.

Hmmm.  You're already calling him out as 'President'.

I was wondering when the name would pop up.

I'd love to write more about it, but you wouldn't like it and we'd probably fight. 

Going back to the title of this topic, men will be treated badly during divorce, child custody, and other social issues here in Europe, things are not much different than in the US.  Liberal gov't and laws make life difficult for men who do not walk the line of women's laws.

Just in private life, you will be treated badly as a man, if you are not a man.  Meaning manly in your presence and being.  Euro women do not like un-manly men.  I'm not talking about looks, I'm talking about just plain old being a man and just thinking and acting like a normal-type man.  Wussies do not get far in private life over here.  I do have lots of respect though, for women who prefer to live without a man by their side.  Its OK.  Still, they are not opposed to occasional company.  Probably better for men in the long run too if they'd consider a bit longer before becoming a sudden father.  These guys have had it, financially speaking.  Such a shame.

Probably better for men in the long run too if they'd consider a bit longer before becoming a sudden father.  These guys have had it, financially speaking.  Such a shame.

A very compelling reason I've stayed single----------I don't have the time at this late date to want to deal with the drama. I'd end up shooting someone. 

It kills me too when someone tries to "fix me up" with somebody. I always decline and tell them that I'd rather pick on my own. Frankly, I'd rather stay single-------I've seen waaaayy too many very nasty fights growing up having had to deal with THREE marriages my Mom went through, and swore I'd NEVER want to deal with anything like that! :huh:

When I was going through my divorce, the soon to be ex wanted over half my salary for spousal support and child support. She was unemployed ( by choice ) at the time. The judge that granted it, commented that she was too busy raising my daughter to get a job, and that I needed to get a second job to make sure I can fulfill the support order. 

Yes, I know my attorney wasn't so good, but even so, that would never happen if it were reversed. I did get the house and 2 cars though. 

Just because I'm an old white guy doesn't mean I don't have the right to notice bias in my personal life. 

thank you for posting your story, and yes, you do have the right to notice bias in your personal life. Strange how simply asking a question like this gets such an emotional reaction 

Edited by robertburns

Which reminds me...an old white male friend of mine who was on the short-list for a fighter-pilot's slot with the reserves back in about 1985 or so, was BUMPED in favor of a black applicant. My friend was easily the most qualified of the people he was in line with, having been flying a variety of aircraft since his 16th birthday, and was at the time working on a degree in aerospace engineering. His father, an airline captain, had been a B-47 pilot in the USAF, flying with nuclear weapons. My friend also had endorsements from prominent state political figures at the time.

The black applicant who was chosen had never flown anything and had a liberal arts degree.

Was there a racial quota system operating? Was it "reverse discrimination"? I guess we'll never know. My friend didn't SUE the Air Force.

This is not similar but reminds me of my good friend who was a Marine fire fighter who had to take the firefighter test 3 times until he passed while his female friend took the her lowered standards test once and passed. He was pretty mad. I think there were qualified female firefighters who spoke out about the lowered standards testing 

Hmmm.  You're already calling him out as 'President'.

I was wondering when the name would pop up.

I'd love to write more about it, but you wouldn't like it and we'd probably fight. 

Going back to the title of this topic, men will be treated badly during divorce, child custody, and other social issues here in Europe, things are not much different than in the US.  Liberal gov't and laws make life difficult for men who do not walk the line of women's laws.

Just in private life, you will be treated badly as a man, if you are not a man.  Meaning manly in your presence and being.  Euro women do not like un-manly men.  I'm not talking about looks, I'm talking about just plain old being a man and just thinking and acting like a normal-type man.  Wussies do not get far in private life over here.  I do have lots of respect though, for women who prefer to live without a man by their side.  Its OK.  Still, they are not opposed to occasional company.  Probably better for men in the long run too if they'd consider a bit longer before becoming a sudden father.  These guys have had it, financially speaking.  Such a shame.

I didn't know it was like this Europe. Thank you for sharing and keeping on topic

I suppose it takes some maturity and a little deeper investigation than simply swallowing whole the media load of carp to get to the truth.

Of course, that takes effort...never really popular...and critical thinking skills...sorely lacking these days, jus' 'bout everywhere I look.

Much simpler and apparently more rewarding to follow the mindlessly bleating herd...whether they be left OR right wing.

excellent point, thank you Sir

A very compelling reason I've stayed single----------I don't have the time at this late date to want to deal with the drama. I'd end up shooting someone. 

It kills me too when someone tries to "fix me up" with somebody. I always decline and tell them that I'd rather pick on my own. Frankly, I'd rather stay single-------I've seen waaaayy too many very nasty fights growing up having had to deal with THREE marriages my Mom went through, and swore I'd NEVER want to deal with anything like that! :huh:

Hi Bill, as sad as it is, I'd have to agree with you.

I remember as a kid, there were two dudes in the neighborhood who were single.  Cool cars and always wrenching in the garage, nice homes and women visiting all of the time.  They had great status!

I'm a lucky one, been married to the same girl over 40 yrs.  We can still laugh.

Greetings.