Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Surf Woody Has anyone built one?

Get 3 kits, can build Surf Hearse, Surf Woody, and Surf Roadster. All cool, woody and roadster the best. 

Those round headest looking things are actually speakers, one at either end of tube. Colors look pretty good, beige with copper-ish vacuplating. So 60's. 

Get 3 kits, can build Surf Hearse, Surf Woody, and Surf Roadster. All cool, woody and roadster the best. 

I got two. The Woody and Hearse don't do a thing for me, but I'm going to do one as a dune buggy (per AMT's own limited reissue of the thing), and the other as a cruising roadster of my own design. I might even just build one of them, setting it up so I can "Switcher" the street body on and off as the mood strikes me.

I remember your buggy idea, sounded cool with some mudders or Desert Dawgs on the back. Roadster is cool, tons of parts to mess with. Plan for me is to show it and an XR6 together. 

Frame and suspension is quite cool, could do a track car out of it too. Resin JDM 4 or 6, slammed and cambered, thought crossed my mind too. 

OK the front end is having steering, engine,radiator, propshaft all in! The back axle/suspension is just awfull, I wish I'd had taken all the chrome off with the oven cleaner, it's so small and fiddly. I've taken it apart twice today, because the shocks are too long. Well I hope I get on better tomorrow or I'll just botch it up and cover it up with the body! 

Edited by PatW

Well done Ray,. That looks just great,  thanks for the photo, it's the first one I've seen with the steering wheel, that seems too big. I've just fitted mine today with the bucket seats and although it will have a roof on it, I don't like the huge petrol tank! I found the chassis an ordeal with all the little parts and most of them being chrome plated. So the rolling chassis is done and now for the interior and body.

Just a sly peek for your eyes only (James Bond).........................I love changing things!

32_zpsh6uvvtij.jpg

Edited by PatW

Well done Ray,. That looks just great,  thanks for the photo, it's the first one I've seen with the steering wheel, that seems too big. I've just fitted mine today with the bucket seats and although it will have a roof on it, I don't like the huge petrol tank! I found the chassis an ordeal with all the little parts and most of them being chrome plated. So the rolling chassis is done and now for the interior and body.

Just a sly peek for your eyes only (James Bond).........................I love changing things!

32_zpsh6uvvtij.jpg

Looking EXTREMELY cool!!!!!!!