Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar wrecker

Fresh of the assembly line, is an Autocar wrecker I built . Anyone from the Syracuse area will likely recognize this build..its based from one of Syracuse's DPW fleet !! The truck was built from the dump truck kit, yet the frame still needed a taffy puller to fit the wrecker body. The wrecker unit is a OOP KFS Holmes 750.I scratch built the entire wrecker body from a brochure using .040 plastic sheet ! I stuffed an orphan 8v71 under the " butterfly "  hood. I found advice here for this, using brass tube and music wire The drive tires/ rims are from Double Take resins , the front rims were cast by Ryan P. The paint is Tamiya blue and chrome yellow. The chrome was stripped and replaced w Alclad. The side battery box steps were scratch built.  Finishing up the bed, bike inner tube was used for the fender flares. Enough chatter..enjoy the pics !!

thanks everyone !!  The hood was really simple using the techniques I learned here.

Joe- I replaced most of the resin parts with plastic due to the age I found majority of the larger parts were warped.

Tom - thanks !  Glad I took the holiday off to finish it up lol

This thing is awesome!! I like the twin stacks with the Detroit. I really like the Holmes recovery bed. I've wanted to build one of those wrecker beds. I missed out on The last release of the KFS kit, and I sold the one I had about 10 years ago when I stopped building for a few years. This is one top notch build!!

This thing is awesome!! I like the twin stacks with the Detroit. I really like the Holmes recovery bed. I've wanted to build one of those wrecker beds. I missed out on The last release of the KFS kit, and I sold the one I had about 10 years ago when I stopped building for a few years. This is one top notch build!!

Very nice! Well detailed and very clean build.

This is one sweet looking rig, Man.....This baby is CLEAN !!!! Outstanding.....

I tried the single stack first but didn't care for the look !