Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mako Shark. Custom

59 Impala

Thanks Bill.  I built the Mako Shark and painted it like the 1:1 car.  It looks Ok to me, White on the bottom and the Blue on top.  This will be repainted the same as I did this time but, this time I won't spray the clear over all the other paint that was used.  I think that the Testors clear was not compatible with the Model Master glitter in clear.  At least that's what I think.  We'll see.  It's soaking in Dawn Power Desolver now and I will check later to see if its ready to be stripped all the way.

The fade away is easier to do than masking and painting in my opinion.  At least not as much work involved.  LOL.  Dan

Thanks guys for all the help.  I have stripped this and started to repaint it.  Here are some more pics.   You can see what the paint looked like after I sprayed the clear,  The pic of the top shows what happened.  I almost left it like the second pic as a barn find but, I stripped it all off and had to redo the body work.  The last pic shows it in gray primer and now it's in black primer. and I'm going to try and paint it the same as it was.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

Here's the latest update for this car.  I have it in flat black primer and I also had to scratch build the rear spring cause there wasn't one to be found in the box.  There is still a little more work to be done on the body and hood before the rest of the colors go on.  I also have to find a set of rear brakes for it.  those were missing also.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3979.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

She's back in the color again.  I got 'er painted this morning about 30 minutes ago.  Now, I will wait for it to dry and start putting it back together.  I tried to paint it the same as before.  It's close and I'm happy with it now.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

Thanks guys.  I liked it the first time that I painted it, but I messed it up and I wanted to try and paint it the same way as before.  I'm not going to use the Testors clear on this this time.  If I use anything, it will be Future floor polish and nothing else.  Not sure yet.  I'll wait until it dries before I make any more decisions.  LOL.  Dan

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I posted anything on this build.  Here are some pics of where she is at the moment.  I had to make the rear bumper and I made the tail lights out of Aluminum tube and used pieces of red sprue for the lights inside them.  The tires are directional and in the right places.  She still needs a little more work before finishing.  I also had to repair the hinge for the roof.  I hope ya like 'er.  Thanks fer lookin.  Dan

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG