Model Cars Magazine Forum

What percentage of models do you think actually get completed?

So far ones that I've built to a successful end about 95%. Other than a Mercedes 1930's cabrio Pocher kit bought for me by my wife in 1988, problems with upholstery are ongoing, it's vynil, it's difficult to fold around the seat bases, it detoriorates by drying out over time. The foam padding that goes underneath it also collapses over time.  I also have tried thin leather patches (freebees from furniture stores) but that needs to be stitched to keep it's shape!

The other problem being that I reasonably quickly built the engine, gearbox, fitted out the steel chassis, included all cabling, brakes, steering,  built the spoked wheels and fitted the tyres, so a complete rolling chassis. But as I've left it on it's wheels the tyres have distorted with the weight of the complete chassis and are now flat! I've spoken to another Pocher builder who had the same problem and has filled the tyres with builders foam and put them back on the rims! I have left over electric cable in the garage that is about the same diameter as the inside of the tyres so that could be a solution.

I shudder to think what my rate is as I have so many WIP that I could focus on them (and should!) and probably have 30 completed builds! I start working at the bench with the intention of finishing one and next thing you know there is another WIP!

The good news is that I have realized I need to reduce my collection for various reasons and that will drive my completion number higher!

Great question.

Thanks for all the interesting responses! There seems to be a wide variation of how many models are complete.

As far as myself, I usually can crank out about 10-20 per year. There are usually a few slump-buster curbsides included there.  I have never bought a kit with the intention of collecting it, all are to be built, eventually. The current stash is around 60. I try to stay with a "one done and then one bought" but sometimes the temptation is too high. 

I always have at least 7-10 models in different stage of building, so I can get all the flat black spraying done, and all the clearcoating done at the same time (especially when mixing 2 part clear). This method of doing multiple models at once probably takes longer overall, but usually there is a big glut of models that all get completed around the same time. Shortest turnaround was 1 month, longest was 14 years (with 6 restarts on the paint!!)

One trick that I've learned to help keep things moving is to keep a word document in the cloud that I can access from anywhere that has a list of what each model has left to be done. For example, the Porsche needs BMF done, the side mirrors attached, and the tires sanded. That way even if I have just a short time, I can sit down and immediately get to work without trying to remember where to start on each model.