Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Movin On Kenworth Announced

It's not only the sleeper that's wrong for the TV series truck.
But you can get the correct 60" sleeper from the Revell AG Kenworth W900/T900 and decals from Modeltruckin', the TV series truck also had torsion bar suspension and at least one of them had a Cummins VT903.

Now if they would only put the right sleeper on this kit !   The original AMT kit had the short "coffin" sleeper which was not what the "Movin' On" Kenworth had in the TV series.

The AMT w900 is also a couple years older than tv truck but is close for the in tandem movie truck. The interior is also wrong AMT has the splendor interior while the tv truck had the VIT. All the pieces to make a correct Movin on truck are available however.

Yes, the TV series truck was a 1974 VIT and the AMT W925 kit origins from 1971, the cabs are slightly different.
But you can do a more correct TV series truck from the Revell AG W900 and a short hood from either the Revell snap W900 or the AMT W925 kit,,,or cut down the long hood from the Revell AG kit, you also need a torsion bar suspension, an Auslowe Cummins V903T (at least one TV truck had that engine), decals from Modeltruckin' and you are on your way.

I will for sure get this truck when it comes out as I have several plans for W900's...and the AMT Movin' On truck was the first truck kit I ever built.

Exactly what I was thinking. I can say I had the privilege of seeing one of the tv trucks in person at the local KW dealer when they going around the country on promotion of the show. Didn't think to bring a camera of course no cell phones back then.

Now if they would only put the right sleeper on this kit !   The original AMT kit had the short "coffin" sleeper which was not what the "Movin' On" Kenworth had in the TV series.

The AMT w900 is also a couple years older than tv truck but is close for the in tandem movie truck. The interior is also wrong AMT has the splendor interior while the tv truck had the VIT. All the pieces to make a correct Movin on truck are available however.

if its good ore wrong i like it to buy that kit

first the take the golddiggers from  [ you name it ] very high prices for a kit

so when i can order a couple ore 2 i wil do that

and when i see the old box art i hear the titel song of merle haggard [ i have stil the record after al those years ] big wheel rollin,.....[ and i have also a old kit from amt with this movin-on kenworth ]

and in combination with some parts from other kits you can make a very good model of the movin-on kenworth

jacobus

• 2 weeks later...

One can wonder why AMT went to the Walking Beam when they dropped the Torsion Bar.
Kenworth had other suspensions to choose from other than the Torsion Bar and Walking Beam, they also had the 4-bag Dual Air Spring and the Big Six Six-Rod Leaf Spring for the dual drive, they also had the Page & Page and Monkey Motion suspension for the single drive with push or pull axle.

Monkey motion?..never heard og it..any pictures of this one or the page an page system...Chris

IMO, there's probably is a bigger market today for these truck models, than when this kits were first brought out new. I'm not privy to sales figures  back then and today, but I  surely could not afford them when I was 10 years old. It was hit and miss back in some local toy and drug stores, some releases I never even seen. Today, thanks to ebay, and being 40 years older with more purchasing power, the model truck market is making a big comeback with adults. Repops are great, but, its about time the industry offer some completely new  big truck kits they never offered in the 60's and 70's. Build them, we will buy!

Edited by leafsprings

Monkey motion?..never heard og it..any pictures of this one or the page an page system...Chris

The monkey motion was only available in the 50's. The torsion bar, four spring and the old KW four bag were about it. There may have been some with Neway air or Hendrickson walking beam. The Page and Page set up pictured was pretty well gone by the late 60's but later Page and Page set ups could have been.

KenworthMonkeyMotionrearsuspension1_zpsd5f2136a.jpg.html

I've been "binge watching" all of the Movin' On shows on YouTube ...  getting revved up for this kit.

In the series 1 episode "The trick is to stay alive", they talk about the "903" engine in the truck and there is a shot of engine with the hood open and you can clearly see the stamped "903" on the valve cover.

In another episode, it was interesting how you could see they were in two different trucks during the show -- they both had the ivory colored leather seats, but in one the headliner had the leather covering and the other had a cloth covered headliner.  The 60" sleeper really makes that truck a beauty.

There are a lot of great detail shots during the show of the truck (inside and out)  -- I didn't realize the frame rails were also painted green like the cab (vs. black).

I built the original AMT kit back when I was in grade school (mid 1970's).  Unfortunately, I can't find it at my parents house now  :-(

It would be cool if someone made an aftermarket 60" sleeper for the kit -- but then I suppose you'd also need to extend the frame as well.

Can't wait to put 3 or 4 of these in my "stash"  :-)

Now... back to YouTube to watch some more  !

• 4 weeks later...

I have posted this on another page but the upcoming Kenworth W923-925 will not be in Movin' On packaging , that was confirmed by Doug over at Round 2. Not that that will be a concern to us since the Sonny truck could not be built out of the box to duplicate the TV truck anyway! I had forgot to ask him about the torsion bar suspension, once you've built one they're not that difficult to get right! I've just finished one that I lucked out on, I bought a Movin' On kit that turned out to be an original T519 Watkins kit in disguise. The torsion bar suspension is very finicky and the mounting points on the bars for the front drive are made too far apart. But if Round 2 retools that suspension it will be most welcomed by us truck builders since it was found under a lot of Kenworths from the 50's to the late 70's. Regardless of configuration it will be nice to have that kit available again at a good price!!!

I've been "binge watching" all of the Movin' On shows on YouTube ...  getting revved up for this kit.

In the series 1 episode "The trick is to stay alive", they talk about the "903" engine in the truck and there is a shot of engine with the hood open and you can clearly see the stamped "903" on the valve cover.

In another episode, it was interesting how you could see they were in two different trucks during the show -- they both had the ivory colored leather seats, but in one the headliner had the leather covering and the other had a cloth covered headliner.  The 60" sleeper really makes that truck a beauty.

There are a lot of great detail shots during the show of the truck (inside and out)  -- I didn't realize the frame rails were also painted green like the cab (vs. black).

I built the original AMT kit back when I was in grade school (mid 1970's).  Unfortunately, I can't find it at my parents house now  :-(

It would be cool if someone made an aftermarket 60" sleeper for the kit -- but then I suppose you'd also need to extend the frame as well.

Can't wait to put 3 or 4 of these in my "stash"  :-)

Now... back to YouTube to watch some more  !

• 2 weeks later...