Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Movin On Kenworth Announced

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Round2's web page indicates that the sleeper box and battery box have been retooled. Also the decal sheet has been revised to include optional numbers for the tractor and the full paint stripes , just paint the roof red and the rest white and it's done !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived today. The box art is the red and white Watkins Motor Lines version. The suspension is the Hendrickson Walking Beam, making it a W923. That is my only disappointment with this kit since so many amt truck kits have this suspension. I was hoping for the torsion bar. 

The decal sheet is really nice. It has the red and black stripes from the box art, not just the black stripes. The ICC numbers used to be in either black or white. You now have the option of black, white, or red ICC numbers. As for the other Watkins Motor Lines info, the truck numbers are printed individually now so you can make your own number. Truck and trailer decals are included,The trailer number is the same 4228 it always was.

The engine is the Cummins NTA 370 with the Spicer 5x4 main/auxiliary transmission set up. 

With the return of this kit, maybe, just maybe, the KW mixer can come back. 

Edited by SpreadAxle

That's maybe possible, but they have to find the tool for the mixer, wheels and other parts that's different from the regular tractor.
After what I have seen in the instructions for the Challenge Mixer kit it still had the torsion bar suspension, so AMT changed it to Walking Beam after the mixer kit was done.

The way Round 2 continues to reissue thought to be long gone kits I would not be surprised to see the mixer return! A common misconception was that AMT swapped out the torsion bar suspension when they issued the mixer but it was just such a problematic suspension to build, its taken me a couple of tries to get it right, a couple of tweaks with a couple of parts and it does go together well!

The way Round 2 continues to reissue thought to be long gone kits I would not be surprised to see the mixer return! A common misconception was that AMT swapped out the torsion bar suspension when they issued the mixer but it was just such a problematic suspension to build, its taken me a couple of tries to get it right, a couple of tweaks with a couple of parts and it does go together well!

• 10 months later...

The front hubs on the Movin On truck are different as well. They are not small grease caps found on most all AMT kits.  They are not the small oil caps seen on most 1:1 KW's and Petes. The Movin On KW has the rarer larger style caps usually seen on Ford Louisvilles. 

IMG_5535.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5537.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

Yes one of them has, they appearently used at least four trucks or maybe more in the two seasons of the TV series and they were not exactly the same...the hubs is one thing and if you look at the emblem on the hood side on your picture and on mine below they are not at the same place.
Two of the trucks were 1974 models for season 1 and two were 1975 models for season 2 and the one with the hub you mention is one of the 1975 models, the one in the picture below is one of the 1974 models.
Right now I'm in the middle of watching the Movin' On series as I just got the Season 1 and 2 DVD boxes a couple of days ago, I have just completed watching all episodes of season 1, and started with season 2 but I haven't seen much of it just yet.
The truck they used in season 1 has the kind of front hub in the picture below, the Cummins VT903 are clearly visible in several scenes and I also noticed the trucks used has gold and red "bug" grille badge and gold side emblems on the hood and sleeper wich I have read was for the Kenworth 50th anniversary in 1973, this is a bit confusing as the trucks for the first season was supposed to be 1974 models, well the rest will tell more and it's fun and nostalgic to watch the series again.
Back in the day I did watch some episodes on Swedish TV, but I was too young then to remember much of them as it was 1975-76ish, other than I thought the truck was cool and the AMT Movin' On truck was one of the first truck models I bought and built and I still have it.c12f8f0fa228e6f6425fe2311c07d488.thumb.jpg.b6606d7c7cff313bcf10f4eb5c63b892.jpg

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...

One of the trucks used in the series was a 1973 which was the 50th  anniversary for Kenworth, it had the VIT sleeper box and gull wing bumper added to resemble the 74 trucks . Another variation from truck to truck was the step bias of the battery/tool boxes , sometimes it was towards the front and other times it was to the back . Also black rubber mud flaps and white plastic mud flaps depending on the truck . CB antennae’s also varied as did the license plates , and of course the engine VT 903 and NTC 350. The nice thing is one can build several completely different projects just on Sonny’s truck alone!

I have now gone through all 44 episodes one time and I will for sure watch them again.
If one of the trucks in season 1 was a 1973 they must have used that truck for most of the outside shots as the KW "bug" grille emblem is gold in most scenes.
If you look closely at these two pictures (click on them and you get full size) you can clearly see the gold grille emblem, there are also different license plates on the two trucks in these pictures, the Montana and Oregon plates has the same numbers but are slightly different in the two pictures, and the plate under the bumper is a Washington plate on one truck and a Utah plate on the other....both pictures are from season 1.

887509_990738030968481_1919605666585918546_o.thumb.jpg.bdc51efd372c32017593f95fe91f05cb.jpg

11900016_950252001683751_8522418806291439609_n.jpg.0136f12d3dc49b88d7dc6bfe18a9c457.jpg

One more thing I noticed is that the mud flaps were often taken off when they hauled a trailer, in season 1 they were sometimes hanged right behind the fuel tanks when not used, in season 2 they weren't on the truck at all when not used.
The NTC 350 was in the season 2 trucks and they had 10 speed transmission, the season 1 trucks had VT903 with 15 speed.
More things I have noticed about the Pruitt trucks are listed in the Paul Sagehorn’s Movin' On 1974 Kenworth W925 VIT thread in the 1:1 Truck Reference Pictures category.

Edited by Force

Also note that two of the Oregon plate are blanked out! Another interesting thing about the surviving Movin’On Kenworth that Paul Sagehorn owned ( recently sold ) was the truck later in life had been stretched and had a Peterbilt Airleaf suspension added . The new owner is planning to restore the truck back to its as filmed state, including the VT 903 Cummins and the torsion bar suspension!

Cool, hopefully he will find a set of polished 22 inch split rims and tires for it as all the Pruitt trucks had and it will look perfect.

I noticed some things regarding the license plates for the trucks used in season 1, in episode 1 on the DVD "The Time Of His Life" the truck had only one license plate, it was the white Utah plate with number VL 9863 in black hanging under the bumper on the passenger side, the only plate on the bumper was the "Bingo Stamp" plate in the middle under the grille.
In episode 2 there are more plates added to  the front bumper, a white Idaho plate with number 2 9H5 in green, a green Montana plate with number 2-38C5 with state outline in white on each side of the "Bingo" plate, a blue Nevada plate with number ZZF 541 in white and a blue Oregon plate with number T829654 in yellow under the others, and the Utah plate is still there.
In later episodes the Montana plate is changed to a plate without the state outline but same number, the Nevada plate is changed to a yellow plate with number 3N486X in black and the Oregon plate is changed to a off white plate with red T829654 number together with the same VL 9863 Utah plate under the bumper.
Further into the season 1 episodes the truck has a white Washington plate with number H 34828 in green under the bumper where the Utah plate was and the Oregon plate has changed a bit as the numbers 6 and 5 of the T829654 plate number are silver instead of red. 

The trucks in season 2 looks to have the same license plate setup in all episodes, a yellow Illinois plate with black 9371 MR number, a "Bingo" plate, a yellow N.Y. Commercial plate with black 9825-IQ number, a white Georgia plate with red OK 8015 number, a white Texas plate with black IA-3798 number under them and under the bumper on the passenger side hangs a blue California plate with yellow 99 702 Z number.

Edited by Force

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

Was this kit reissued with Movin  On markings?

My kit #T560 was (as I recall) a first issue release, and the decal production date (printed on the back of the decal sheet) was 11/21/75, indicating it was probably on-sale in stores around January of 1976. 

TIM 

The paint scheme on the Movin' On trucks was available from the Kenworth factory at the time, the only difference for the Movin' On trucks are the S Pruitt name on the door and that the arrow from the hood doesn't continue to the door.

Here is a picture from the V.I.T. broschure with the same paint scheme, Ivy Bronze with Lime Green and White Arrows and stripes.

VIT4.jpg.8fcb70194f675d882f762896a6b91e9e.jpg

Several issues has the Movin' On decals, the AMT #T-560, the  AMT/Matchbox #PK-6120 and the AMT/ERTL #6643, but the most recent kit AMT #1021 doesn't, it has the same decals as the first issue of the W-925 #T-519 from 1971.
If you want to do a Movin' On truck you can get the decals from modeltruckin.com

Edited by Force

On 6/9/2018 at 12:34 PM, Force said:

Cool, hopefully he will find a set of polished 22 inch split rims and tires for it as all the Pruitt trucks had and it will look perfect.

I noticed some things regarding the license plates for the trucks used in season 1, in episode 1 on the DVD "The Time Of His Life" the truck had only one license plate, it was the white Utah plate with number VL 9863 in black hanging under the bumper on the passenger side, the only plate on the bumper was the "Bingo Stamp" plate in the middle under the grille.
In episode 2 there are more plates added to  the front bumper, a white Idaho plate with number 2 9H5 in green, a green Montana plate with number 2-38C5 with state outline in white on each side of the "Bingo" plate, a blue Nevada plate with number ZZF 541 in white and a blue Oregon plate with number T829654 in yellow under the others, and the Utah plate is still there.
In later episodes the Montana plate is changed to a plate without the state outline but same number, the Nevada plate is changed to a yellow plate with number 3N486X in black and the Oregon plate is changed to a off white plate with red T829654 number together with the same VL 9863 Utah plate under the bumper.
Further into the season 1 episodes the truck has a white Washington plate with number H 34828 in green under the bumper where the Utah plate was and the Oregon plate has changed a bit as the numbers 6 and 5 of the T829654 plate number are silver instead of red. 

The trucks in season 2 looks to have the same license plate setup in all episodes, a yellow Illinois plate with black 9371 MR number, a "Bingo" plate, a yellow N.Y. Commercial plate with black 9825-IQ number, a white Georgia plate with red OK 8015 number, a white Texas plate with black IA-3798 number under them and under the bumper on the passenger side hangs a blue California plate with yellow 99 702 Z number.

I had those split rim ten hole wheels made in machined aluminum.

C024F11C-0FC7-4782-83B2-AC842FBE4A52.jpeg

C7AB1367-7772-4AF3-9587-3B64432790B0.jpeg

DC9F735D-1A61-41A5-9136-0B346607D5D1.jpeg

45 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Do the Movin On decal sheets come with the white stripe around the outline of the front fender?

The amt decals don’t but Jerry from Modeltruckin.com added white pinstripes to his set.

F9C622AD-2B5C-4818-95CD-ABD2E6E050C8.jpeg

6F1343D3-BA59-4E88-9475-8018E2746AB8.jpeg