Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Movin On Kenworth Announced

5 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

I love those wheels but for my Movin’ On builds I am using the Freightliner kit wheels front and rear with the Kenworth hub and drum and making the the fronts with a couple of inner rears and adding the bolt detail to get the correct look . Tires are the issue, 10:00 x 22s? Not sure yet which way to go on this , MPC tooled 11:00x 20 pressed onto the 22 in rim will give the right diameter but it will still say 11:00x22.

5 hours ago, PettyKW43 said:

The Center hub will be a modified Peterbilt hub

It doesn't look like the real TV-series trucks had any front brakes as you see daylight through the holes in the front wheels in several scenes, and that was not unusual at the time, you would not see much daylight if there was a front drum brake behind the wheel.
If you are going to use the Freightliner wheels why don't you use the 11.00-22 tires from the kit too?
But the MPC/ERTL 11.00-20 tires are not that bad of a fit on the AMT Freightliner wheels (I just tried myself) and 11.00 is supposed to be the tread width and 1 inch in 1:25th scale is just under 1 millimeter so it's not that much difference between a 10.00 and a 11.00 tire, and the tire markings on the MPC/ERTL tires are so small that you almost have to have a magnifying glass to see what it says...so I'm sure it will work just fine.
If you compare the different AMT and MPC/ERTL tires you will see that the AMT 10.00-20 is a lot smaller in diameter than the MPC/ERTL 11.00-20 and the Freightliner tires, the MPC/Ertl 11.00-20 tire are the widest in over all width and the AMT 10.00-20 tire is the narrowest, the tread width is nearly the same on the AMT 10.00-20 and the AMT 11.00-22 and slightly wider on the MPC/ERTL 11.00-22, so the scales on these tires are probably slightly off.

Edited by Force

No , the trucks didn’t have any front brakes and that’s why I will be modifying a Peterbilt front hub . As for the tires I guess I am being too fussy . The MPC tooled tires do look good on the Freightliner wheels, so I probably will go that route on the front however I still need to think about the rears , if one looks at the trucks sitting still you can see a rather aggressive  tire lug, I haven’t seen the ERTL tires on the Paystar kits yet to know whether they would be what I would want to use. Paystars are probably the only kits I have never had yet , but I will at some point.

Yes the tread on the drive tires are aggressive on the season 1 trucks...they are probably quite noisy on the highway. :rolleyes:

5b4b8d778c00f_12002409_960829243959360_4194843166402774676_o-kopia.jpg.f1370c70220a19954d89c6a3c2753f6c.jpg

The drive tires on the ERTL Paystar...looks more like military tires and are a bit too aggressive and rounded if you ask me.

Bildresultat för ertl paystar

Here is one version of Double Take Replicas drive tires (drive tire #1), they are very close to the ones used on the TV truck (picture borrowed from the Double Take website).

365814_e06cfead31234defa788e2f3e24bbbc7~

The fronts on the season 1 trucks, the tread on the MPC/ERTL 11.00-20 tires are very similar to these.

5b4b8dfda28f0_11988253_1105155516180087_8979360004305655382_n-kopia.jpg.bdcc8556a82a3de1d5fd9808dc32a757.jpg

The drive tires on the trucks in season 2 has a smoother tread (the best picture I could find of them).

5b4b8f0a9db2b_12028666_970689716306646_6193862718325856657_o-kopia.jpg.8c7fd97ee4dabb9b2ac173f8fabc55bb.jpg

Edited by Force

Thanks Force for posting the pictures of the tires , I agree the Paystar tires look like military issues and I don’t think I would use them even on the Paystar . And since I like to use what’s on hand (probably 250kits) so a wide variety to pull from, I think I will stick with the MPC 11:00x20.

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2018 at 8:57 PM, PettyKW43 said:

Also note that two of the Oregon plate are blanked out! Another interesting thing about the surviving Movin’On Kenworth that Paul Sagehorn owned ( recently sold ) was the truck later in life had been stretched and had a Peterbilt Airleaf suspension added . The new owner is planning to restore the truck back to its as filmed state, including the VT 903 Cummins and the torsion bar suspension!

I can definitely confirm the Pete suspension on it --  Paul Sagehorn had it at the ATHS show in Des Moines a couple years ago and I took this photo of it there.

DSCN2225.JPG

Yes it looks like it, if you look closely you can read "RADI" behind the LLC/Squawtyna Films LLC text.
The trucks for season 2 were 1975 models and had the tires in the picture above, the trucks for season 1 were 1974 and they had the more agressive tread pattern in the earlier picture, wich can be Good Year Bias Ply tires.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Another vote for 10.00-22 tires. This screenshot off episode "Tattoos" when outer rear wheel is removed. This tire 1:1 might still be available, but  made overseas in an off brand. https://leinatyre.en.alibaba.com/product/60813586050-801133334/Truck_bias_tire_10_00_22_11_00_20_11_00_22_Factory_wholesale_truck_tire_with_cheap_price.html

IMG_2345.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

22 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Another vote for 10.00-22 tires. This screenshot off episode "Tattoos" when outer rear wheel is removed. This tire 1:1 might still be available, but  made overseas in an off brand. https://leinatyre.en.alibaba.com/product/60813586050-801133334/Truck_bias_tire_10_00_22_11_00_20_11_00_22_Factory_wholesale_truck_tire_with_cheap_price.html

IMG_2345.JPG

I don't know if there has been any 10.00-22 tires in any kit, the AMT 22 inch tires found in the White-Freightliner and a couple of other kits are 11.00-22, the AMT 20 inch tires on the other hand are 10.00 and 11.00 depending on from where they come, the AMT older tires are 10.00 and ERTL tires are 11.00 and have a slightly larger diameter.
But 10.00-22 or 11.00-22 doesn't matter much in model form as the difference in width is small.

18 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Have AMT improved their decal quality?      I can remember decals from their earlier kits where the white was so thin you could still make out the colour painted underneath.

Round 2 decided to issue the W925 kit with a different paint scheme and this kit is not accurate for the TV series anyway but I agree with you, the old kit decals was not good and there are better alternatives from the aftermarket.
The AMT kit could with some modifications be done up as the pilot show "In Tandem" truck and decals for that one are also on the aftermarket decals availanble.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

I believe I found a solution for the 10.00- 22" radials tires used in season 2. The Revell Peterbilt radial tires fit the 22" Freightliner wheels. These tires have no size info molded into the sidewalls. They are definitely narrower than the Freightliner 11.00-22 bias ply tires.

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2356.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

Well it's the exact same kit as it has allways been since AMT changed the rear suspension except for the decals so you can relive your youth if you get a set of aftermarket decals for it wich are better than the old kit decals.
I built the "Movin' On" version over 40 years ago and I still have it sitting on my shelf...I believe it was my second or third truck build ever, but I woun't build another like that, if I do one...wich I will...it will be more accurate to the TV series trucks...but that's me.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:13 AM, Force said:

If you want to do one of the TV-series trucks you are better off starting with the Revell AG W-900 kit than the AMT kit, the Revell AG kit is allready a V.I.T. with the right 60 inch sleeper and fairly right battery boxes, but  you need to change to a short hood from the AMT kit 

This is so true. The AMT kit was just a quick way to cash in on the popularity of the TV show, total investment by AMT, a decal sheet and licensing rights. I'm currently using the AMT kit for a donor frame, front suspension, hood, steering wheel and engine. 

Edited by leafsprings

On 4/15/2023 at 12:32 AM, leafsprings said:

This is so true. The AMT kit was just a quick way to cash in on the popularity of the TV show, total investment by AMT, a decal sheet and licensing rights. I'm currently using the AMT kit for a donor frame, front suspension, hood, steering wheel and engine. 

Yes that was common back in the 70's, look at the BJ and The Bear kit, yes it's a Kenworth K100 Aerodyne, so far it's right, but it has too long wheelbase, have wrong engine and transmission so it's not correct for the trucks used in the TV series.
The Convoy Rubber Duck Mack kit from ERTL, the movie truck was a Western RS700L wich was an on highway truck and the kit is a DM600 wich was more of a costruction truck with off center cab and such...so it's not even close, and the only useful parts if you want to build a correct Rubber Duck truck is the air foil for the roof, the bumper/wild bar, the duck hood ornament and some of the decals, the rest you can do something else with.
ERTL also wanted to cash in on the popular Smokey And The Bandit movies so they took the Great Dane trailer they had, did decals for it similar to the mural on the trailer in Smokey And The Bandit II, but the Great Dane trailer is wrong for that movie as the real trailer used in the movie was a step trailer with a lower rear section, and ERTL did not have the GMC tractor for it either because this was before ERTL bought AMT.
There are more examples than these, they took what they allready had and put in some additional parts and decals and left it there...the least effort for low cost and capitalize on popular movies and TV shows.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1