Model Cars Magazine Forum

Divided by a common tongue

A couple of comments on the latest Auto Id made me think about how American and British automotive terms have developed independently  - here are a few that I know, does anyone have any more?

US Hood = UK Bonnet

US Top = UK Hood

US Fender = UK Wing

US Stickshift = UK Manual

US Vent window = UK Quarterlight (I just learned that from Peteski)

US Windshield = UK Windscreen

-Don.

Usually known as hydraulic and fuel "lines" in the US, I've encountered them frequently referred to as "pipes" in the UK.

Then there's "scuttle", in US-speak "cowl panel".

"Firewall" pretty universally here, sometimes "bulkhead" in other English-speaking countries.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I think "estate wagon" is British for "station wagon."

The Brits also have "shooting brakes" and "saloons," but I forget what type of cars those are. Help?

Also, "windscreen" is pretty universal in America for the windshield on an airplane. What do US boat people call this piece of glass? :lol:

Edited by Snake45

Is that for real? For an Aston, the windows look a bit cobbled together and the roof behind the drivers window could be interpreted as photoshopped. Just askin'.

Google images for "Aston Martin Shooting Brake", and follow the links.

There are quite a few of them, all real.

Granted, some of the conversions can be less than graceful, but they're real.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

US  Generator = UK Dynamo

US  Spark plugs = UK Sparking plugs

In the UK we call Spark plugs Spark plugs not sparking plugs. Plus we don't have Dynamos any more we have alternators and sparking wires are HT leads (High Tension leads)

Also Shock absorbers are not called Dampers very often they just get called Shocks

US Mud Flap=UK Mud Guard

Nah mate, it's still a mud flap here, a mud guard is what you get on your push bikes.

One of my friends was in the US a few years ago and managed to offend a lot of people, and almost got arrested on a night out for saying he was going for a cigarette, he did word it as he would this side of the pond though  "I'm going to smoke a fag"