Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rust-Sun 240Z

Intmd8r

An older build I did about 5 years ago.  Looks like I never got around to posting the completed pics.

photo DSC00709.jpg photo DSC00711.jpg photo DSC00713.jpg photo DSC00715.jpg photo DSC00717.jpg photo DSC00718.jpg photo DSC00719.jpg photo DSC00720.jpg photo DSC00721.jpg photo DSC00722.jpgDSC00657.jpgDSC00658.jpg

I remember wanting this kit bad and paying top dollar for it, just to see it rereleased a short while later for a fraction of what I paid for it.  All the bad things said about this kit were TRUE!  You could pull your hair out trying to build something decent from it, or make a Junker.  I went with the later…

Funny thing - when I was building this, I chose colors that were available on the 240Z when new and went with it.  Totally fictional build.

Since then, I've had at least 6 people tell me that they say the 1:1 in person or on TV, or as far back as 30yrs ago.

To me, that's cool!

That is one of the most realistic rusting I have seen in a long time. You even got the windshield markings done right. Poor owner must have lived at the beach and didn't have a garage to park in. That salt air can be worse than salted roads. The fog gets into every nook and cranny.   

This is the Revell kit?

Yes it is - this is the issue I started with:

Image result for revell 240z

Hope the later BRE issue had some of its issues fixed....

Very good looking car, looks Canadian to me.........Rusty and Crusty

That's what I was going for lol.  Can't recall the last time I saw a driveable 240Z out in the wild.....

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Nice build! But with that rust perhaps you should put on plates from snow belt states instead of CA.

Agreed, although I did find some reference pics of 240Zs out in the desert regions in similar condition.  Sort of proves my theory that early Datsuns were already rusting when they were delivered from the dealership show rooms.  The plate is kit stock. I just used what I had on hand at the time.

Planning on entering this in a show in March - will be tweaking/improving it before then.  We’ll see if I can’t get the kit stock wheels to look more realistic.

Thanks for the feedback.

For the windshield, I laid down some masking tape. Then I put it in the body to get a sense where the wipers would be. Drew freehand the path I thought they would travel across the windshield. Took a sharp blade and cut the tape-this is the hardest part because I've broken a few windshields in the past by pressing too hard. When done, I misted Testors dullcote from a distance. That's it! 

Agreed, although I did find some reference pics of 240Zs out in the desert regions in similar condition.  Sort of proves my theory that early Datsuns were already rusting when they were delivered from the dealership show rooms.  The plate is kit stock. I just used what I had on hand at the time.

Planning on entering this in a show in March - will be tweaking/improving it before then.  We’ll see if I can’t get the kit stock wheels to look more realistic.

My first new car out of college was a '77 Datsun 280Z. I lived on Long Island, NY. I managed to keep it pretty rust free compared to most of them but I still got some body rot on the rocker panels. In fact I put those panels on the bottom to cover it up after I repaired it.