Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Peterbilt 579 Project Ideas?

New Ray Toys now has a 1/24 scale 579. As a bonus, it comes with a gooseneck lowboy. I'm looking for ideas in converting it to a more accurate scale model. What issues need to be fixed? I'm not a huge fan of the 579, but here's a way to get another modern truck cab.

I hope Tim Ahlborn weighs in on this, because he has recently modified a few and they look really nice. With some work, and maybe a italeri chassis, it could be a winner.

Maybe even a resin caster could work their magic and we could have another modern conversion.

Thanks for posting this.

I checked out Tim's website much more and he made several variations of the 579 (daycab, sleeper, etc) some on a modified Italeri 377 chassis.

It looks like he mainly focused on smoothing some lines, replacing the mirrors, opening the grille and using oval screen, and moving the front axle a bit forward and down (for the ones that he kept on the original chassis). Of course, he removed and filled the buttons on top and primed and painted. There was a couple of minor corrections to the fenders, and bottom of the cab lining up with the bottom of the sleeper, amongst other things. Not a turn-key project, but nothing too bad.

I'm guessing the overall proportions are good. Maybe not 100% accurate, but very close. He seemed pleased, and I consider him the expert. I tried to gather as much info as I could from the text he put with the workbench photos.

He also made some mods on the lowboy and that looks really good.

I'm now thinking this will be a doable future project, I just need to get my hands on one. 

Thanks for posting this.

I checked out Tim's website much more and he made several variations of the 579 (daycab, sleeper, etc) some on a modified Italeri 377 chassis.

It looks like he mainly focused on smoothing some lines, replacing the mirrors, opening the grille and using oval screen, and moving the front axle a bit forward and down (for the ones that he kept on the original chassis). Of course, he removed and filled the buttons on top and primed and painted. There was a couple of minor corrections to the fenders, and bottom of the cab lining up with the bottom of the sleeper, amongst other things. Not a turn-key project, but nothing too bad.

I'm guessing the overall proportions are good. Maybe not 100% accurate, but very close. He seemed pleased, and I consider him the expert. I tried to gather as much info as I could from the text he put with the workbench photos.

He also made some mods on the lowboy and that looks really good.

I'm now thinking this will be a doable future project, I just need to get my hands on one. 

You can snag one here...... http://www.3000toys.com/New-ray-Peterbilt-579/sku/NEW-RAY02106 Pre-order or this one is in stock......http://www.3000toys.com/New-ray-Peterbilt-579/sku/NEW-RAY02116

Thanks for turning me on to this, Man....I got 2 on the way....And the first link I set up is now in stock....Just ordered it....

Edited by kilrathy10

• 2 weeks later...

Got a couple of these in, today and I've got a few ideas already.....I haven't been this exited about a "toy" since I was 5.....These things are not as accurate as they could be, but they're pretty good for what they are....With a few modifications, they really could be awesome...I've studied Tim's work, and he's done some great things.....Mine won't be as ambitious, but they won't have to be to improve upon what they've offered........The lowboy trailer is, actually pretty nice.....It even has a detachable goose neck.....Very simplistic in how it works, but sturdy...Came with the same crane and excavator as with the 1/32 scalers, but they scale out to about 1/25 scale, anyway.....I set one up next to my Volvo and step deck I built a number of years ago, and to be honest, I'm impressed.....Made me smile a lot.....For some reason, I got the black one with the excavator for $54.99 plus $7.95 flat rate shipping and the blue one with the crane for exactly $8.00 cheaper.....No idea why.....But a pretty good deal for a truck, trailer, and a load......Can't wait to get to modifying these bad boys....

Got a couple of these in, today and I've got a few ideas already.....I haven't been this exited about a "toy" since I was 5.....These things are not as accurate as they could be, but they're pretty good for what they are....With a few modifications, they really could be awesome...I've studied Tim's work, and he's done some great things.....Mine won't be as ambitious, but they won't have to be to improve upon what they've offered........The lowboy trailer is, actually pretty nice.....It even has a detachable goose neck.....Very simplistic in how it works, but sturdy...Came with the same crane and excavator as with the 1/32 scalers, but they scale out to about 1/25 scale, anyway.....I set one up next to my Volvo and step deck I built a number of years ago, and to be honest, I'm impressed.....Made me smile a lot.....For some reason, I got the black one with the excavator for $54.99 plus $7.95 flat rate shipping and the blue one with the crane for exactly $8.00 cheaper.....No idea why.....But a pretty good deal for a truck, trailer, and a load......Can't wait to get to modifying these bad boys....

20170130_1526072_zpsczzt9fxt.jpg

20170130_225538_zpsqn9flcgh.jpg

20170130_2256012_zpsshxugwej.jpg

20170130_2303352_zpsc8iidn8l.jpg

20170130_2309072_zpsywxt7ykl.jpg

Can't wait til I see your progress. I'll get one of these eventually. I really hadn't been giving the lowboy much thought, but I'm seeing potential now. Thanks